Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-09, 09:15 PM   #1
pinkbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to pinkbass
Cool Rod length

Ok i am wondering what the big deal is about the 7" rods? i am only 5"3 so i like the 6"ish rods. Am i missing out on anything because i like the shorter rods? The longest rod i have is 6"6. what am i missing out on?
pinkbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09, 09:37 PM   #2
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

now you are my kinda woman...its tough finding a woman that likes for a fella to swing a short rod. lmao jk

different length rods handle different lures better.

like my worm rod is 6' 6"...but my frog rod is 7' 2". longer rods are not quite as accurate but u can throw much further with them.

-spro
Old 08-26-09, 10:15 PM   #3
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

pink, the longer the rod, the farther you can sling it. i used to use the 5'6", to the 6'0"s. but now all mine are 7' and gonna get a couple longer for flipping and pitching. if YOU like the shorter rods, by all means stick to them. you should use what YOU are comfortable with. makes now sense using something you can't use or feel uncomfortable with.
Old 08-26-09, 11:20 PM   #4
nofearengineer

Pinkie, (never thought I would refer to anyone on this site as that )

All other things being equal, a longer rod will cast farther than a short rod.

But other things can factor in: type of line, weight of lure, power and action of rod, strength of angler, etc.

For instance, a 6' medium power rod might throw a 3/8 oz. spinnerbait farther than a 7' heavy action rod. In this case, with a light lure, the power of the rod could be the determining factor, since the heavy rod might not flex as much during the cast. However, if the angler is very strong, he/she might be able to cast the 7' rod hard enough to flex it anyway, and cast it even farther.

Like Bama said though...find a combination that works for you.
Old 08-26-09, 11:48 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

almost all of my rods are 7' or more, i even have a few 7 1/2' rods. the only time i go shorter than that is if i am making short roll cast around really tight cover with a spinnerbait, buzzbait or something like that. casting distance is greater with a longer rod that is for sure. but the one place that i really notice a benefit to a longer rod is on a hookset. a longer rod will take up so much more line on a hookset and is a huge help if you get a bite at the begining of a long cast. also they give you a lot more leverage to control a fish and get them out of heavy cover. my wife is about 5'4" and she hates using my 7' rods, about 6 1/2' is all she is comfortable with. but it's not really the rod length that bothers her so much as the length of the handle, so you might look for longer rods that have shorter handles and see if that helps.

if you have any questions about rods i would holler at tim at tigerodz, he is a member on here as well as a sponsor of the site and the guy knows more about rods than anyone else i know.
Old 08-27-09, 07:43 AM   #6
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

most of my rods are 7' or longer as well. The rod I use for spinnerbaits and soft plastics (6'6"), and my topwater rod (6') are under 7'. While, my jig, crankbait, flipping stick (7'6"), dropshot (7'2"), finesse, and one more that is kinda general purpose, are 7' or more.

As long as the powers and actions work well for what you are fishing, I don't think length is as big a deal, its more personal preference.

BB
Old 08-27-09, 10:54 AM   #7
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbass View Post
Ok i am wondering what the big deal is about the 7" rods? i am only 5"3 so i like the 6"ish rods. Am i missing out on anything because i like the shorter rods? The longest rod i have is 6"6. what am i missing out on?
It boils down to comfort. There are some benefits to using a longer rod just as there are benefits from using a shorter rod.

One other thing. Your height has little to do vs. the length of the fishing rod you use. I am just as tall as you and I use rods greater than 8'6" when I need to and I wield them without any negative issue.

I have tested it for myself and while longer rods can make longer casts, they don't outcast a rod 6" shorter by too much. However, it (the longer rod) can make the same cast with much less effort and that is the key to reducing fatigue and prolonging fishing time.

On the other side of the coin, if you're fishing in really tight quarters where there is very little room, that same longer rod is going to be a pain in the phanny to cast while that shorter, 6' rod would have less trouble.

Different lengths suit different applications/scenarios better than others and once again, it boils down to angler preference.

Use what you're comfortable with.
Old 08-27-09, 11:00 AM   #8
crankybait

Mine are all 6'6 barring one 7'. I dig the 6'6, It usually serves me perfectly fine. At a point, there is some things that may be optimal or ideal but just too much of a hassle or not worth it... Like some people change their line after every trip. Sure, it would minimize breakoffs, but no way am I doing that. Similarly, if you have been fine with the 6'6 rods, there's no reason to pay for another 6 inches or so
Old 08-27-09, 11:09 AM   #9
nofearengineer

Islandbass is correct about a longer rod being a PITA sometimes. I just set up my 7'6" pitchin' rod for spinnerbait use. With my long arms, and only an 18' boat, my fishin' buddy in back could be in danger from my wind-up.
Old 08-27-09, 11:42 AM   #10
pinkbass
BassFishin.Com Member

OK so what i am seeing is that..........i can cast out a bit further with the longer rod... but they are more of a PITA then the shorter ones. AND i could kill someone(watch out green), so i think i am going to stick with my shorter ones, if only because i am comfortable with the shorter rod....and i have good control with it and i can get my lure were i want it........thanks guys
pinkbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-09, 12:36 PM   #11
islandbass

PB,

As long as you're comfortable with them, keep using the shorter rods. They should serve you well for your purposes. Now if you were here in the Pacific Northwest, say fishing for salmon in a moving river with a float and jig, that same 6' rod is not going to be an ideal choice. Another plus longer rods have is that they offer better line control (Ie, they can move more line for the same effort done with a shorter rod). The angler would have a heck of a time "mending" his line to match the current. In addition, there might be added difficulty in setting the hook when you're very far away from the fish as normally occurs with this type of fishing. So here, the longer rod, say 8'6" all the way up to 10' is the better choice over a 6' rod. The extra length gives the angler better line control, longer casts, and the ability to set the hook from farther than normal distances.

The PITA thing is relative. For the case I mentioned above, the PITA would be the 6' rod. It would not be fun float and jig fishing with a shorter rod.

There is a part of me that enjoys using 6' rods. They feel like a light saber in hand, super easy to wield but I will admit I don't use them often.
Old 08-27-09, 12:46 PM   #12
pinkbass
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks............if i ever get to that part of the country i will def. look for a longer rod to try out what you are talkin about
Old 08-27-09, 02:32 PM   #13
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Another reason why many of us like longer rods is not just for the casting advantage. Longer rods also help you get a better angle on your hookset (big advantage when throwin' frogs) and the ability to pull fish up at a more vertical angle which comes in handy when you are in a lot of heavy vegetation...If I am in the grass or pads I will use my 7' MH rod to pull the fish closer to the surface faster so he doesn't tangle me up in a mess of grass
Old 08-27-09, 04:19 PM   #14
Bassboss

A longer rod gives you more leverage to get bass out of cover and where you want them. A short rod is better for things that you need to have a more accurate cast such as spinnerbaits, or shallow cranks around boat docks. A long rod is better if you want to get a long cast (like Deep cranks) or like I said before, need to get bass out and where you want them. Such as using frogs, and flipping/pitching jigs.
Old 08-27-09, 07:53 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Another thing which I don't think anyone has mentioned. In general, a shorter rod will be more accurate than a longer one, while the longer one will get more distance. I think one major exception to this is flipping and pitching, which is mostly done on a 7'-7'6" rod, but is still accurate because of how the technique works.

I like to crank with a 7' or 7'6" rod, but if I'm throwing them short range around docks, laydowns, etc., I'll go with a 6'6" rod so I have more control over the lure. Which is also why I prefer throwing spinnerbaits, especially side arm casting, with a shorter rod.

BB
Old 08-27-09, 09:08 PM   #16
WTL

Take a lesson from flyfisherman..

You don't see many short fly rods? Why?

Yes, one reason is the type of casting stroke. But another big reason is that fly lines tend to be lighter, especially for the trout, than what we use for bass of the same size.

So how do they land fish with a flyrod?

The length and slower action of the rod is the ultimate buffer against jumping and headshakin fish. It gives a cushion that even the best drags dont replicate.

I think for a while there was a tendency in modern bass fishing to go with heavier rods, faster actions....but that is starting to turn a little. People are learning that the long, slow graceful curving nature of certain rods give them a sure advantage in some areas that 2"X4"s do not.
Old 08-28-09, 03:24 AM   #17
islandbass

WTL,

Fly lines are on the contrary heavier than conventional lines. With traiditional gear, is spinning, casting and spincasting, it is the weight of the lure that accounts for the cast. In flyfishing, it is the weight of the line that casts the lure (those really tiny and light flies).

The rest of your post is well said.
Old 08-28-09, 06:01 AM   #18
WTL

You are correct on the line (I should have differentiated between line/leader material). The tippet is the whole other story. Your setup is only as strong as the weakest point. With fly gear, its always the tippet or leader material that is weakest and needs to be protected by the rod.

At the very least, that is my experience with flyrods. I can't say if the leaders the saltwater/salmon guys use are beefier, but most trout/panfish leaders I have seen are kinda wimpy.
Old 08-28-09, 06:48 AM   #19
TGRrod
BassFishin.Com Member

Well WTL some guys in the south use what you would call a short fly rod the guys up around Gatlinburg use shorter rods for the fact of overhanging brush on the bank they may use 7'6" to 8'6" rods. PB I agree with c-rig the longer rod takes up more line on hookset and will help you keep the fish's head up so you can turn the fish out any cover they will try to run to.
TGRrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-09, 07:00 AM   #20
WTL

True, true they do. Good point. Of course 7' 6", by our standards, is still a long whippy rod. Those little spring creeks necessitate special gear, just as the Spey does.
Old 08-28-09, 08:57 PM   #21
bamabassman

my fly rods are 8 and 9 feet long, and yes.... you will run into trouble with low hanging trees and limbs.
Old 08-28-09, 11:47 PM   #22
bassboogieman

All but one of my rods are over 6'-6" and that rod is one I use for skipping baits under docks, trees, etc. I like the longer rods for reasons mentioned above, especially as they require less effort to cast a lure - important to an old guy like me fishing all day.
My rods in the boat, by length: 6'-6" (1), 6'-9" (6), 7' (5), 7'+ (3).
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-09, 03:42 AM   #23
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
You are correct on the line (I should have differentiated between line/leader material). The tippet is the whole other story. Your setup is only as strong as the weakest point. With fly gear, its always the tippet or leader material that is weakest and needs to be protected by the rod.

At the very least, that is my experience with flyrods. I can't say if the leaders the saltwater/salmon guys use are beefier, but most trout/panfish leaders I have seen are kinda wimpy.

WTL, yep that connection of the tippet to main line is the weakest link. In retrospect, I should have realized you meant the tippet.

I am afraid to try flyfishing because doing so might make me give up using traditional equipment. How would you rate flyfishing 1-10?
Old 08-29-09, 04:59 AM   #24
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
How would you rate flyfishing 1-10?
Enjoyment wise or in terms of my personal skill? Skill wise I'm a 3 or a 4. But I really do enjoy it like a 7 or 8. And there are times, depending on where you are, when its a 9 or 10.
Old 08-29-09, 08:34 AM   #25
bamabassman

island bass, trust me. if you like fishing period...then you will like fly fishing. i have 3 fly rods, IN the boat with my 9 bass set ups, and when the bass aren't biting i will pull one fly rod out and tie on a top water popping fly and fish for the bream. SOMETIMES the bas will hit the fly too. hard to pull in a 2#-4# bass on a fly rod my friend. talk about learning how to play a fish. lots of fun. and them there are the times you want to go and try for the trout. i ain't the pro on a fly rod, but i have used a fly rod since i was a kid. and although i fish for bass 99% of the time, i still like to fly fish, just for the fun of it. go to wally world and get a little fly rod out fit, doesn't cost much and you can have a lot of fun. less than 50 bucks i think. flies aren't that bad either. pack of 5 or so, 5 bucks.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.