Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-06, 02:38 PM   #1
Fishing4Soup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Saltwater Fishing

My family's going to Myrtle beach in april and there is a waterway going by the hotel. I've never really fished outside of ponds so i don't know what kind of fish im dealing with and what i need to catch them with and the setups... I think it's ok to post this here because there are saltwater bass. I'll be fishing the water in this picture http://www.northmyrtlebeach.com/barefoot.htm
What kind of setup and baits should i use? Thanks! By the way i don't have that much to spend so 150-200 would be my budget...if it's possible to get a saltwater baitcaster that i can bring back to catch bass on that would be nice.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 03:20 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I guess we are talking saltwater but inside the intercoastal waterway, in which case you would probably be fishing for speckled trout, catfish, possibly croaker, maybe flounder or stingrays among other things. A lot of the times by bait the easiest thing to use is cut bait or live shrimp. That area is all on the google earth, so I suggest you get that and try to find any local piers or something along those lines - but google earth is great, you have aerial color pictures of the entire area so you can do a lot of scouting before you go. I will add that my only saltwater experiance is mobile bay which is connected to the gulf, myrtle beach being almost on the Atlantic ocean may be a different animal.

Baitcasting gear is a good idea if you don't have it. I personally dont know much about saltwater baitcasters, you can use regular ones ***as long as they are not made of magnesium*** and as long as you flush them with feshwater very thourougly after use.
Old 01-28-06, 04:30 PM   #3
Fishing4Soup

ok cool. I think i'll just buy a nice baitcaster. Im going to try to fish right at the edge of those trees though because i'll probably go for an hour in the morning before the rest of the family wakes up.
Fishing4Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-06, 07:01 PM   #4
Patrick Krueger, Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Google earth is awesome! I've found so many ponds from going there! Then I ask someone at the closest house to it if I can fish it. I almost have too many secret spots now.
Old 01-28-06, 07:06 PM   #5
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

check ur pm F4S
Old 01-28-06, 07:31 PM   #6
zooker

on the piers you want a mh 1 pc rod. i used a spinning rod throwing a gotcha plug. spanish and blues will go nuts on this plug. please note all piers are differant. but one thing they have in common is they charge you per rod. plus parking pass-which you need- spend some time looking around at mid pier-off shore of the breakers -surf- cut bait is good during winter.

in the icw -intercoastal waterway- bass structure such as laydowns, stumps, channel breaks are the way to go. small salt water bait fish ,shrimp,blood worms. rigged on a c-rig worked slowly at any of these strutures will work. also when you hit the beach area tackle shop look for a red,red/chatruses either boot tailed grub or fake shrimp. rig it with out a skirt on a spinner bait. yep i said spinnerbait..slow rolled in likly spots. better set the hook and hang on all salt water fish are powerful fighters. and tend to go nuts when they are out of the water. please note ALL salt water fish have RAZOR sharp teeth. and blue fish are the WORST at attacking any thing in there ahead of the front, bottom -pectoral-fin. inculding your HAND. they anit joking when they call them choppers. i seen one knaw on a stainless steel hand rail like it was a streak.. puppy drum normally are found in the rivers along with gray/speck trout. regular drum reach 30 + pounds. stripe bass also will hold in a currant break..

just some thoughts on salt water fish. just use a steel leader..

zooker
Old 01-28-06, 08:21 PM   #7
va_basser

Send a message via AIM to va_basser Send a message via Yahoo to va_basser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
just some thoughts on salt water fish. just use a steel leader..

zooker
amen to that Zook!
Old 01-28-06, 09:03 PM   #8
striker23

Send a message via AIM to striker23

i grew up in mount pleasant, south carolina, literally right behind the intercoastal waterway. use SHRIMP and just have it suspended. if the waterway is moving do that, because fish go by and snag those shrimp. that often takes a lot of patience so just be patient. also, depending on where the marsh is there either may or may not be bass in that waterway. enjoy your vacation, myrtle beach is usually very touristy and too many shops, but its still a great place. if you go fishing off the piers on the beach then you can land anything from flounder to sharks. use live bait for that, squid is great for beach pier fishing, and you can get it in the freezer at walmart. my bad zooker i didnt know about that edit button. well now i do!

Last edited by striker23; 01-29-06 at 09:11 AM.
striker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 08:57 AM   #9
zooker

striker23
there is and edit button on these threads for a reason try using it....

zooker
Old 01-29-06, 06:22 PM   #10
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

First of all bring TOPWATER for trouts and reds. Second of all don't use steel if you are going in the ICW since all you'll catch is trash fish, blues and such. Third DONT buy walmart bait, good price but crap(falls apart). Good with the gotcha's. Look for flats with grass and sandy potholes. cast your topwaters over the potholes for trout. you can also either free line or put your live shrimp under a poping cork and wait with the TIDE CHANGES. Also you don't need any special bait casting reels or setups. just a spinning set up with either A. med light rod for that area or B. a Med. Heavy rod for piers, get em away from those pilings. Use a 20 to 30 pound leader for that ICW and probably a 30 to 40 Pound leader for the piers. 10 pound braid should do you for the ICW and 20 for the pier.

Chris
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-06, 06:24 PM   #11
Christopherkeene9
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Forgot to mention, not ALL saltwater fish have teeth. Reds have like bass teeth (sandpaper).
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.