Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-10, 09:29 PM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default It can save your.......

I was fishing in a tournament yesterday with a good friend. We was in his boat. Toward the end of the day, we were going to fish one more spot very close to the check in. As we approached two huge rip rap walls that basicly meets at a 90 degree angle, the hot foot throttle sticks at 60 mph. He had to make a hard right hand turn and that almost flipped the boat and came closer to throwing us out. The only thing that saved us from getting hurt or killed was the kill switch. The point of this is: Wear your life jacket and ALWAYS have the kill switch attached!!! Please do not take it for granted! I have never been so happy to see my wife and kids when I got home.

By the way, there was something that had wedged in the hot foot while we were traveling that would not let it come back to the idle position. An easy fix, but it sure scared the crap out of me!
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 09:59 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Danny I am very glad that you guys were no hurt, I am sure it scared the daylights out of you both. I had this happen one time in my Ranger, and it scared me to death. I had just replaced the transducer on my Side Imaging unit the night before and somehow got something in a bind with the throttle cable and as I was running 70mph to a point I didn't try to set the boat down until I was pretty close to the point because I was racing another boat to this point and if I slowed down as early as I normally would I was affraid that the other boat would run in past us and beat us to the point. Anyways when I finally went to let off the gas the pedal stayed on the floor. It took me a few seconds to figure out what happened and I made a slight right hand turn and just coasted into the cove past the point until I was able to get my foot back under the metal hook on the top of the pedal and manually raise the pedal to stop the boat. Whatever the problem was it never did it again but I always had it in the back of my mind so I was better prepared to take evasive action if I needed to. Like you said, always wear your life jackets and kill switch because by the time you realize you should have put them on it is way too late.

Also we have all been guilty at one time or another of leaving something out that can roll around on the floor because we are in a hurry but I have become very picky about keeping everything put up where it belongs and this is one reason why. One of the most common things I have seen that tend to end up on the floor of the boat is water bottles, not because I put them there but because they tend to fall out of cup holders in rough water (not so much in my Triton but I have 3 buddies that have Champions and their cup holders are really bad about this).
Old 04-18-10, 10:02 PM   #3
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Glad to hear it was just a close call.

Before I took my boat out the first time I saw that video of the bozo pushing his new bass boat too fast across the wake of the boat shooting the video and dumped it - lucky he didn't kill himself.
Anyway, always clip on the lanyard - my only trouble is I sometimes forget and after I stop the boat and get up to fish the lanyard comes flying after - hit the Mrs. right in the kisser one time and if looks could kill, I went twice!
Old 04-18-10, 10:09 PM   #4
Embrey

nice...this actually happened to me today. mine was sticking all morning until i found a coke can wedged underneath it. wind makes eveything end up under there
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-10, 10:25 PM   #5
BassinNC

Well I'm glad all yall are ok. We had 2 people drown yesterday. Havnt found out all the details yet.
Old 04-18-10, 10:38 PM   #6
everettvet

I was looking at the kill switch on my boat and I wish the cord was shorter than it is. The problem was as he pulled on the cord to the kill switch, the elasticity in the cord made this more difficult and took longer to get done. After it was over, the throttle was fixed and we were fishing, the conversation came up of "how long do you think that took?" My first answer was 10 seconds but it was probably only 5 or 6 seconds total. But it seemed like 10 minutes. I have been gulity on more than one occasion of not putting on my life jacket and not attaching a kill switch. That will never happen again, no matter what! I have learned my lesson. Mom must have been watching over me yesterday.

My thoughts and prayers are with the families who lost loved ones yesterday.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-10, 04:53 AM   #7
PaulT
BassFishin.Com Member

Glad you're OK.

Where are the toyota jokes??
Old 04-19-10, 07:49 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Hey man, glad everybody's alright. You're lucky you get another chance to always wear your kill switch and life jacket.

BB
Old 04-19-10, 08:54 PM   #9
bamabassman

Thank you VERY,VERY much for this reminder danny. This is something EVERYONE should pay heed to. Glad ya'll are ok.
Old 04-19-10, 09:06 PM   #10
bcklash

Jeez that's scarey. Adams the worlds worst for things floating on the floor, but daddy don't know nutin. I hope he reads this and pays attenion.
Glad you guys are alright. On the lighter side it might have been a good time to use a shaky head.
Old 04-19-10, 10:20 PM   #11
Rebbasser

So far I have never had to use mine, but if the big engine is running the life jacket is on and the kill switch is attached. Period.

Glad you just had a scare as opposed to what could have happened.
Old 04-20-10, 07:28 AM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Glad y'all had the angels sitting on your shoulder Everett. A story like that will get your heart pumping.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.