Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-07, 01:15 AM   #1
ILfishinman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ILfishinman Send a message via MSN to ILfishinman
Default new rod

im lookin for a new rod to do alot of my plastics fishing with, got big into using them last year and my ugly stiks just arent cuttin it for wormin. looking for a sensitive rod abo0ut $50 or less, any suggestions? i just cant see paying 100 for a rod. same with reels.
Old 03-01-07, 09:14 AM   #2
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would check out the Triumph series from St. Croix but they are about $10 over your budget. It is hard to beat a Lightning Rod from Berkley for under $40.
HOG Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 09:40 AM   #3
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILfishinman View Post
im lookin for a new rod to do alot of my plastics fishing with, got big into using them last year and my ugly stiks just arent cuttin it for wormin. looking for a sensitive rod abo0ut $50 or less, any suggestions? i just cant see paying 100 for a rod. same with reels.
The Hogger is right about the Lightning Rod, ILFish, but here's an idea...
Why not give yourself another month or two, skip a couple of SuperSizings at the Burger Biggie, give up some unnecessary driving (just a few miles) and dig around under the couch cushions for loose change. That way you can upgrade BEFORE you buy.
Some ideas? Well, One can never go wrong with a Falcon Lowrider, A St.Croix Premier, or, especially, the Team AllStar. These all run a tad over 100 bux, but are great rods for the money. Also, if there's a Cabela's or BPS within striking distance, they sometimes have some decent sales on their better house brand rods or some of the name brands. Example: BPS here in San Antonio recently ran an in-house sale on Browning Citori rods, marling them down to 49.95. These are nice rods and pretty too.
In short, haste makes waste. Be patient and get the upgrade rod the first time. Then, when you get an even better rod later on, the first one will be good enough to remain in front-line service.
I'd recommend the same approach to reels as well.

Good luck, and be safe.

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 10:38 AM   #4
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
The Hogger is right about the Lightning Rod, ILFish, but here's an idea...
Why not give yourself another month or two, skip a couple of SuperSizings at the Burger Biggie, give up some unnecessary driving (just a few miles) and dig around under the couch cushions for loose change. That way you can upgrade BEFORE you buy.
Some ideas? Well, One can never go wrong with a Falcon Lowrider, A St.Croix Premier, or, especially, the Team AllStar. These all run a tad over 100 bux, but are great rods for the money. Also, if there's a Cabela's or BPS within striking distance, they sometimes have some decent sales on their better house brand rods or some of the name brands. Example: BPS here in San Antonio recently ran an in-house sale on Browning Citori rods, marling them down to 49.95. These are nice rods and pretty too.
In short, haste makes waste. Be patient and get the upgrade rod the first time. Then, when you get an even better rod later on, the first one will be good enough to remain in front-line service.
I'd recommend the same approach to reels as well.

Good luck, and be safe.

FlyRod
I'll second this! You might even try to check out FFO, see if they have something marked down you like. Only problem with buying rods online is you don't get to hold them first, and they're expensive to ship!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 11:14 AM   #5
betursweetbass

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I started fishing with the Ugly Stick too ! I went out and got the Berkley Series One Rod at Wallyworld for about 44.00 back in the mid nineties.

Berkley Series One - Found at Wallyworld for about 49.99, better than the lightening rod in my opinion.

Berkley Lighting Rod - my 2nd choice to your question, still a good rod, but not as good as the Series One.

I use - AiRRUS, Loomis, St. Croix, Kestler, Berkley Series One Rods, and Shimano Curado Reels.

It would be worth the wait, however, to save your money and get something like the others have recommended.

Your call.......Good Luck with your fishing
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-07, 05:21 PM   #6
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Not to burst your bubble here, but $100 on a rod or reel isn't a lot. The longer you keep fishing and replacing less exspensive reels, the more a higher end reel, that's built better, and lasts longer, will make more sense to you. Plus to be honest the rod itself will be amazingly better when you actually fish with it compared to the ugly sticks you are using now. They are lighter, and the sensitivity will just astound you. All in all it means more fish in the boat/shore because of the sensitivity you will have, and the hooksetting ability. I've gone on the record here that I believe the rod is more important than the reel, but the reel is a close second. This is just my experiences and opinions, only you know your budget and what you're willing to pay for something.

Lizards
Old 03-01-07, 09:08 PM   #7
ILfishinman

well, i see what ur sayin bout savin up, i have money to get a nice rod (infact mom owes me $150) but i just cat bring my self to spend that much on a rod, i know it will be 50 times better than my ugly stick, i dunno ill just have to give it some thought, ill dick around dicks sometime and see what they got goin on. thanks for the suggestions pplz
at the moment my reel is definatly higher quaLITY than my rod, i have a phluger medalist i got on 8th grade graduation 2 years ago for 50 bux, still runnin as smooth at it was the day i got it, that is $50 i will never regret spending. hopefully the rod will be that way
Old 03-02-07, 07:55 AM   #8
skeeter944

bass pro shops has sales on their extreme rods alot for $70 and they are very good rods for the money imo. i have the 6'6'' mh woo daves worm rod and it does its job very good. it is pretty sensative and has very good backbone,i highly reccomend either that or the bionic blades which go on sale for $60.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 01:06 PM   #9
stumpy from ct
BassFishin.Com Member

Default shimano

look at the shimano line of rods. convergance series start at 50.00 and the clarus is 20.00 more.
stumpy from ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 12:24 AM   #10
pbnstevo
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to pbnstevo

I don't want to make a thread, but what rod do you think would work best for me?

I fish for peacock and largemouth, normally between 1 and 7 lbs.

I use jerkbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits.

I have quite a bit of money to spend, but preferable under $200.00

Any suggestions?
Old 03-03-07, 12:34 AM   #11
stumpy from ct
BassFishin.Com Member

200 for just a rod? i prob would get a shimano crucial 7'mh or h but for cranks and jerkbaits you really should use a medium power. so if you are looking in getting 2 rods you can go with the shimano compre or clarus series. compre is around 99.00 clarus is around 70.00.
stumpy from ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 12:58 AM   #12
pbnstevo
BassFishin.Com Member

Nah, I'd rather one really nice one.

I mean... I don't want to spend 200, but I can...
Old 03-03-07, 01:11 AM   #13
Jolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter944 View Post
bass pro shops has sales on their extreme rods alot for $70 and they are very good rods for the money imo. i have the 6'6'' mh woo daves worm rod and it does its job very good. it is pretty sensative and has very good backbone,i highly reccomend either that or the bionic blades which go on sale for $60.
I agree with skeeter about the extreme rods (and reels). Best for the money. However, I also agree with everyone else, saving your money and getting a falcon would be a better investment. You won't regret it. But, if your set on the $50 mark, extremes get my vote.

Jolly
Old 03-03-07, 08:47 AM   #14
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnstevo View Post
Nah, I'd rather one really nice one.

I mean... I don't want to spend 200, but I can...
I would buy the St. Croix Avid series but you will get many opinions on this one.
Old 03-03-07, 03:00 PM   #15
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Get on over to www.rodsbyairrus.com and pick out a Spectra AFT that you like, under $200, and you'll have one hell of a rod, and withe the warranty, you'll have it for life.

If that's too much, look to the Centaurion or Co-matrix line, both are fine rods, I have a Co-matrix I use for cranks, my Spectra for spinnerbaits, and an Ultra-XL for worms
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 03:14 PM   #16
pig n jig

http://stores.ebay.com/fatfishfarmer

Its very difficult to beat the prices here. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-07, 07:31 PM   #17
pbnstevo
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dampeoples View Post
Get on over to www.rodsbyairrus.com and pick out a Spectra AFT that you like, under $200, and you'll have one hell of a rod, and withe the warranty, you'll have it for life.

If that's too much, look to the Centaurion or Co-matrix line, both are fine rods, I have a Co-matrix I use for cranks, my Spectra for spinnerbaits, and an Ultra-XL for worms
Thanks, I'll look into that.

Any more guys?
Old 03-03-07, 09:58 PM   #18
ILfishinman

thanks for all the input guys, when i get my money back i will see how much i have but i do have other priorities before the rod such as a nitro tank for my paintball gun then then rod and then that awesome stalker tackle bag from bps.
Edit: also do you think dicks will have rods like those instore? cause i dont wanna put that much money into it with out at least holding it first, and the closest bass pro is springfield but the new one in indiana might be closer i not sure but it is a while away

Last edited by ILfishinman; 03-03-07 at 10:21 PM.
ILfishinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-07, 01:11 AM   #19
pbnstevo
BassFishin.Com Member

I own a paintball shop, hit me up if you want to, I can get you some sick deals.

www.TheAggTech.com
Old 03-04-07, 08:51 AM   #20
HOG Ranger

Quote:
thanks for all the input guys, when i get my money back i will see how much i have but i do have other priorities before the rod such as a nitro tank for my paintball gun then then rod and then that awesome stalker tackle bag from bps.
Edit: also do you think dicks will have rods like those instore? cause i dont wanna put that much money into it with out at least holding it first, and the closest bass pro is springfield but the new one in indiana might be closer i not sure but it is a while away
I know my local Dick's sell the St. Croix Premiere series which is also a very nice rod for under a hundred bucks. Also, if you fill out their online survey you can save $10 off any merchandise that totals over fifty bucks.
Old 03-05-07, 04:23 PM   #21
Vabass22

Quote:
Well, if you have a baitshop near you that is NOT a chain, and is locally owned, check them out. Get to know them, and buy some stuff, and they might start givin you some sweet deals! Mine gives you half off the rod in every combo+.a spool of line. So a Lowrider+ a 50$ Pfleuger reel would only be 100 bucks.
Old 03-05-07, 06:22 PM   #22
ILfishinman

well the only locally owned shops i know of, one is downtown and the other i havent been to since it has changed owners, ill have to check em out some time but the one just sold a few artificials and some minnows and stuff
Old 03-05-07, 08:38 PM   #23
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
I don't want to make a thread, but what rod do you think would work best for me?

I fish for peacock and largemouth, normally between 1 and 7 lbs.

I use jerkbaits, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, and buzzbaits.

I have quite a bit of money to spend, but preferable under $200.00

Any suggestions?
I would also reccomend St Croix a MH fast tip for everything "EXCEPT" crankbaits. IMO you are looking at 2 different rod requirements for those techniques. The MH fast tip will work well for everything you listed but the cranking. It is to strong and powerful, and needs a moderate tip and a Medium action to keep from pulling the trebbles out of their mouths. The Avid series is the middle of the line per se, but if you want to Fish with a Legend , then move up to their Legend series. As far as I'm concerned there isn't a better warranty than you get with that. You just send them $20 with the rod, and they send you a new one for as long as you live, no questions asked. I have had to use it, due to "MY OWN FAULT", and I'm a St Croix fan for life.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 03-06-07 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 11:30 PM   #24
pbnstevo
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok, scratch the cranks, should I be looking at the avid or the legend?
Old 03-06-07, 09:07 AM   #25
HOG Ranger

Quote:
Ok, scratch the cranks, should I be looking at the avid or the legend?
The price goes up from Premiere, Avid and then Legend series. I am partial to St. Croix rods, they are all good.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.