Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-06, 10:43 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default Pflueger President Wide Spool

I noticed that there was a wide spooled president and a normal president.
Does one reel have an advantage over the other? Just personal preference?

Thanks-

Julien
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 10:50 PM   #2
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

If you are using heavy line Id get the wide spool. Other than that the standard reel should be fine.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 10:51 PM   #3
jooleyen

With the baits I think I'll be using with my setup, I should be using 17-20 test of #30 braid.
Old 12-20-06, 10:57 PM   #4
Christopherkeene9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
With the baits I think I'll be using with my setup, I should be using 17-20 test of #30 braid.
huh?

Christopher
Christopherkeene9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 10:59 PM   #5
jooleyen

I'm getting a pflueger president reel with a 7'0" H rod. I'll mostly be using jigs and worms.
Old 12-20-06, 11:01 PM   #6
Christopherkeene9

But what did you mean on the type of line?
Old 12-20-06, 11:30 PM   #7
jooleyen

Lol. Now I think I see where you're getting confused. I wrote of. I mean't to write or.

"With the baits I think I'll be using with my setup, I should be using 17-20 test or #30 braid.
Old 12-20-06, 11:40 PM   #8
Christopherkeene9

I would say go with 30lb. braid, lot stronger and should be equivalent to smaller diameter than the 17lb. mono!
Old 12-21-06, 12:31 AM   #9
FlyRod

Julien,

If you are gonna stay at or below #17 mono or fluoro, I'd recommend the narrow spool...unless you will be jigging spoons at 60 foot+ depths.
Braid will increase your line capacity greatly, but if you've never used or truly studied braid there are some cautions that must be observed.
You see, Julien, all mono has some degree of stretch, the amount depending on the type. Fluoro has less, but still some, stretch.
Braid, on the other hand, has, for all practical purposes, virtually NO stretch, and hence the following caution:
Do not rear back and attempt violent hooksets with braid. If you do you may actually break a graphite rod. Glass rods can take more abuse, BTW.
I use a snap of the wrist then steady reeling, sometimes puncuated early in the fight by some short pumps if I feel the need for a more assured set.
OR...I simply raise the rod, with the reel just below my sternum (breastbone) or smoothly sweep it to the "off" side, across my body, as I begin to steadily reel. I do not try to yank the critter's head off as one might do with mono.
Good luck and send pics.

FlyRod
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-06, 01:08 AM   #10
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I might add, though, that Flyrod uses a fluoro leader on his braid more often than not.

Flyrod-check out those worms I told you about?
Old 12-21-06, 01:09 PM   #11
FlyRod

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
I might add, though, that Flyrod uses a fluoro leader on his braid more often than not.

Flyrod-check out those worms I told you about?
I might add, though, that I did check out the worms. I didn't open a package for inspection, but they look suspiciously similar to ZOOM C-Tails. I'll take a closer look tomorrow when we're on the lake.
As Reb knows, I was not alone in my visit to BPS. Spent most of my time "advising" a 25 yr-old lady on the purchase of a fleecy little jacket and a set of one-piece "Long John" style jammies, complete with "escape/access" hatch at the stern...in pink. When she popped out of the fitting room to model same for me..., passers-by were stopped dead in their tracks...Woooooeeeeee! This after we'd spent a pleasant day exploring the Hill Country, including Boerne and Boerne City Lake, Sisterdale, and Waring, lunch at a messican place (Fido!), and a drinkie at the Longbranch in Boerne. (My stock has risen among the barflies there, I can assure yew!)
Yais, undubitably, I DO use a fluoro leader when fishing slower-moving baits on braid. And I DO believe in leaders that begin their career at a length of 6+ feet. As another poster mentioned one does lose some braid and fluoro when tying the fearsome "J-Knot", about seven inches per on the average, but the reduced number of re-leadering jobs more than compensates for that.
Remember too, gentle readers, that I always use a fluoro leader of at least five pounds LOWER test than that of the braid.
See yez in the AM, Reb, and Jesse advises us to take a little time to seek out White Bass staging near Crane's Mill and Mystic Shores. Might add to the already high fun factor we share.

F.Rod
Dirty Old Man Trainee
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.