Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-08, 04:12 AM   #1
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Need some help with an old boat!

I new to the site, but i have seen you guys help each other on a lot of things, so i thought maybe you guys could help me. I got an 80 Astroglass 17ft with 150hp Johnson from my grandpa a few month ago. Anyway the hull is solid but the wood floor is rotting. Since I have to replace it I want to upgrade the wiring, make it a duel batery set up and add a fuse box into the mix. I've looked everywhere for some sort of wiring diagram or something to keep me in the right direction when i start this project. the boat has sat a couple of years and the wiring is the original and is in pretty bad shape, plus over the years its had more than its fare share of southern enginering. I could use all the help i can get.

Thanks
Chris
FlFishin2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 06:46 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

sounds like a job for da laser man, zooker, and a couple of others. tell him guys. and welcome to the house-o-nuts friend. check out the get together post and come june 6,7,8th. crestview is just 6 hours from here. about 20 are coming, you'd be more than welcome. mississippiboy... do that thing you did on the other post. i can't seem to do it.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-08, 10:00 PM   #3
BERKLEY83
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Hey Man Welcome To The Site. The Best I Have Found Is At West Marine Website To Add A Fuse Box They Have Bullitens On The Website Next To The Items. And If You Run Into A Snag Post Some Pics And Info And I Think We Can Work You Through It. Best Of Luck
BERKLEY83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 05:30 AM   #4
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the welcome guys. Ill check out west marine when i get home. As for the get together, Thanks for the invite, but Im overseas right now and wont be home for another couple month
Old 05-08-08, 10:00 AM   #5
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the clubhouse, Fl...buncha good guys on here...sorry, I can't help you with that-thar eelektricty...

Bama, just go to the thread, highlight the web address, right click and "copy", then paste it in your reply to whatever thread you want it to go in.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-08, 10:38 PM   #6
1FASTLASER

Welcome to the site bud. As stated we got a unch of nuts on here but you couldnt find a better class of nuts. If possible can you post pics?? I can lead you through the process of redoing the floor and the electrical. Not real hard but time consuming. This if you want to will be a great thread for folks to read especially on the floor resto and the electrical. Lemme know how well you want to do the floor and I will type up the procedure. As far as the wiring it will cost a little but after done you will have a relatively trouble free boat. If you cant post pics I do need to know whether this is a single or dual console boat and preferably the model so I can be boat specific.
Old 05-09-08, 06:40 PM   #7
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Once I get started I will post pic as i go. It will still be a month and a half or more before i can even start, unfortunatly
Old 05-10-08, 07:23 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

ok thats ok but what model you have. They built 2 or 3 17ftr's back then and also they where single and dual console models. Lemme know so I can help ya out bud.
Old 05-13-08, 07:03 PM   #9
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

I was wrong its a 16fter single console tri hull, I called my wife to get the model # and all the stickers except the astroglass sticker have been removed or fallen off over the last 28 years. I dont have any pics of it yet but i will try and find some of the same boat

Last edited by FlFishin2006; 05-13-08 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-15-08, 08:15 AM   #10
Captmikestarrett

I used to have a tri hull astroglass in the 70's...

You will need to pull new wire for the trolling motor 24 volt. (heavier)

Use circuit breakers or you will watch your new boat go up in flames someday.

Use battery trays. Also with the floors do not put carpet back on them. Use bedliner paint..

Capt Mike
Old 05-15-08, 08:22 AM   #11
zooker

astroglass thats a procraft with better linnage...

zooker
Old 06-24-08, 03:22 PM   #12
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

Well I got home about a week ago, and tore out the floors and stringers only to find the whole bottom of the transom is rotten and alot of the wood throughout the rest for the boat is in pretty rough shape. I thought I might still be able to save it but, I done the figures and figured out that by the time im done I could have taken all the money and picked up a damn nice used boat or put a down payment on a new one. So I have pulled the motors and fishfinders and all off and took the hull to the junk yard.
Old 06-24-08, 03:24 PM   #13
FlFishin2006
BassFishin.Com Member

oh thanks all you guys that put in your 2 cents. Ill be getting something else and ill probably be askin meny more questions. Thank you all
Old 06-24-08, 04:33 PM   #14
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

Well, hurry up and get the new boat so we can get into some of the places that I can't get with mine!
-Aaron
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 05:15 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

And don't forget the $5 fine if you post something about buying a new boat, and don't include pics of it.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 06:58 PM   #16
zooker

not to mention being forced to wear this next time you go fishing..

lol..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.