Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-08, 05:56 PM   #1
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Merc 1500 how to clean the carburetor?

Hi All,

I wanted to know if anyone can point me in the right direction on how to successfully
clean and replace points on my Carb? My motor is an Inline 6, and has been sitting a while....
and i'm thinking that its gunked up.

Its a 150 hp, power tilt/trim if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

Brook
bebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-08, 06:47 PM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

points on the carb? now i amit am not a merc guy-some one correct me if i am wrong- but points are found under the distributer cap,not in the carb...

#1 rule of outboard moter repair.
if your this lost about how your moter works. it be best for you to take it to a pro..

carbs do get icky from sitting along time. the carbs are likely full of varnish -what gas turns into when it ages- my advise have the carbs rebuilt and while the boat is at the wrench turners have him check the points..

zooker
Old 06-24-08, 07:47 PM   #3
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Debeard,
I need to know what year your motor is and I will post up not only the procedure but pics for ya on what I am talking about. When doing this IT IS A MUST to not mix up the jets or the carbs themselves. Inline 6's are damn near bullet proof but I assure you if you mix the jets or the carbs your in for a blown motor. If you watch those you can do it if your mechanically inclined. Also may I ask have you tried a shock treatment of Seafoam and Deep Creep before attempting this???? Will the motor crank???? If it will most likely a shock treatment with Seafoam and Deep Creep will save you the agrevation and time pulling the carbs and going through them. Another tricky thing when pulling the carbs off an Inline is getting them back in syncronation (spelling). Again I wanna stress if you havent worked on outboards this is not really the one you wanna try your first shot at. Inline 6 motors running smoothly HIGHLY depend on the carbs being perfect. Lemme know the info I requested and if you wanna tackle it and I will lead ya through it.
Old 06-24-08, 09:51 PM   #4
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default info for 1FASTLASER

hello 1FASTLASER,

The motor I believe is a 1978, Merc 1500 150 HP power Tilt/trim. The motor starts, and runs fine, but seems a little sluggish. I checked with Bradford Marine today, and they suggested the carb be cleaned of any build up due to the boat sitting for a while before I bought it last year.

I am open to any and all suggestions.... will try anything to get her running smoothly!

Thanks in advance to you... and everyone who has posted!

Brook
Old 06-25-08, 05:44 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ok here is my recommend................DO NOT PULL THE CARBS OFF Sorry to be so blunt but I already told ya why. If you aint familiar with the procedure and are extremely careful of what I told yea you will have a time bomb at the worst end and a migraine trying to get them set right again. They are very trickly and require the use of a vacum gauge on all three carbs to get them right.
Do a search here on the site or better yet here I will pull my post off of my other board that outlines the Shock treament of Seafoam and Deep Creep. This product is available inlots of places like some walmarts and most auto parts centers. I wrote this post up on one of my subscription only sites for people.

http://www.boattechs.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=24.html

I typed this up in detail on the site so people could follow it.................lol and I got tired of explaing how to do it for the 109th time. LOL Anymore questions just holler.
Old 06-25-08, 06:53 PM   #6
bebeard
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Thanks for the advise!

fastlaser,

Thanks for the advise,

guess I will take it to the shop then...

Brook

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.