Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-10, 03:50 PM   #1
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Evolution Heavy Cover Jigs

Has anyone used them? I like everything about them but worry about how they will come through rocks.
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 04:10 PM   #2
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I'd be more worried about spending $10 on a jig. No offense.

They do look good though, and the head looks like an all-purpose head that'll work pretty good around any cover.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0064774124354a.shtml
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-10, 04:26 PM   #3
danielbasspro

They are great I use these for flippin I caught a few 4lbers on it and smaller
Old 01-01-10, 04:29 PM   #4
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post

They do look good though, and the head looks like an all-purpose head that'll work pretty good around any cover.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0064774124354a.shtml
Actually five, thats two for that price.
Old 01-01-10, 04:30 PM   #5
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

They are not cheap, but the $10 gets you two in a pack. So they are $5 jigs. Still not cheap.
They perform okay, but are too light for what I consider heavy cover. I believe that their max size is 3/4 oz. I need to get between 1 to 1 1/2 oz to break through a lot of the junk I pitch into.
Old 01-01-10, 04:37 PM   #6
BassinID

Yea cass, I would think that they would be too light for heavy cover, but I would be using them on long points with stumps in about 20 ft. I currently use a football jig and am getting tired of hooking fish in the side of the mouth or missing them all together. I like the look of the evolution jig because the hook rides so upright. Cheep jigs don't matter to me because I may loose two or three in a day of fishing, and getting on the water is at a premium for me right now so I would rather spend the extra couple dollars and hook more fish. Anymore for punching or fishing anything really heavy I use a true-tungsten punch weight, a paycheck bait punch skirt, a sweet beaver and a straight shanked hook.
Old 01-01-10, 11:24 PM   #7
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
Yea when I am hard jig fishing I usually use up about 2-3 jigs everytime.

My experience has been that jigs and rocks tend to not get along at all.

How big are the jigheads? They are made of tin and I think tin is a lot less dense than lead. About half as dense I think.
Old 01-02-10, 12:50 PM   #8
BeaverIslander

Yep, $5 per. My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinID View Post
for punching or fishing anything really heavy I use a true-tungsten punch weight, a paycheck bait punch skirt, a sweet beaver and a straight shanked hook.
These look nice. I need to try these on some milfoil mats.

http://www.tackletour.com/previewpay...unchskirt.html
Old 01-02-10, 12:53 PM   #9
BeaverIslander

Take a look at how big these suckers are w/o a skirt.

http://tackle.redshad.com/proddetail.php?prod=EvoJigs
Old 01-02-10, 02:32 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
My experience has been that jigs and rocks tend to not get along at all.
You must not be using the right jigs.

The Evolution jigs have been around a while. I don't want you to think that my opinion of these jigs is biased because I own a jig company because I have never used these jigs. However I have a buddy that bough a lot of these jigs at once and used them for one day and gave the rest of them away because he was getting hung up a lot with them. He is a pretty good with a jig and never had any problems with any other types of jigs but he swore these jigs off and never used them again. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 01-02-10, 04:49 PM   #11
BassinID

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post

The Evolution jigs have been around a while. I don't want you to think that my opinion of these jigs is biased because I own a jig company because I have never used these jigs. However I have a buddy that bough a lot of these jigs at once and used them for one day and gave the rest of them away because he was getting hung up a lot with them. He is a pretty good with a jig and never had any problems with any other types of jigs but he swore these jigs off and never used them again. Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks C-rig, that was my fear with them. I will keep looking for the perfect deep water jig, for now i guess the best ones I have tried for all around are the omega promega jigs, but I am about 99% away from trying all the good ones so the search continues.
Old 01-02-10, 04:54 PM   #12
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
What I meant by that is that the rocks that I fish are very large with craters where the jig goes down and gets wedged in between two rocks. It's not the jig's fault it gets hung, but the way you have to fish it in order to get strikes. The water where these rocks are is about 18-20 feet deep.
Old 01-02-10, 05:26 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
What I meant by that is that the rocks that I fish are very large with craters where the jig goes down and gets wedged in between two rocks. It's not the jig's fault it gets hung, but the way you have to fish it in order to get strikes. The water where these rocks are is about 18-20 feet deep.
With the right equipment, right jig style, and a lot of practice fishing jigs you can avoid a lot of hangups in situations like this. I don't want to hijack BassinIDs post but would be more than happy to give you some advice in another thread if you would like.
Old 01-02-10, 11:10 PM   #14
BassinID

C-rig, don't worry about hijacking my post, any advise from you on jig fishing is a very welcome addition to the thread. Also could you pm me some color choices that you prefer and the conditions you use them in. (your jig colors preferably) i would like to try your 80 strand football jigs out and am trying to narrow down colors.
Old 01-03-10, 02:41 AM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
C-rig, don't worry about hijacking my post, any advise from you on jig fishing is a very welcome addition to the thread. Also could you pm me some color choices that you prefer and the conditions you use them in. (your jig colors preferably) i would like to try your 80 strand football jigs out and am trying to narrow down colors.
Pm sent.........
Old 01-03-10, 08:14 PM   #16
bamabassman

Bassin.........GET THUNDERSTRUCK JIGS! These are some of the best jigs out there. Also check out BIGBASSIN144's jigs (cabinfeverlures.com). I got both jigs. And I love them to death.
Old 01-04-10, 09:56 AM   #17
doc

Evolution jigs are the primary jig I throw, they do great around wood, pads, grass, and ok in rocks. My go to jigs for a rocky bottom are still football jigs, but for every other type of jig fishing I do, evolution jigs are the only thing I throw. The peanut butter and Jelly jig has caught me many a 5+ pound fish.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 05:34 PM   #18
3dkicker

Quote:
Has anyone used them? I like everything about them but worry about how they will come through rocks.
Like all jigs eventually they will get caught in the rocks and you will probably lose it. And then you'll be out $5-6 bucks.

Do you really need a jig that stands up? Do bass eat this type of jig better than one that doesn't? I'm amazed at the new jigs every year that stand up, spread out, leave bubbles, spread scent, rattle, etc. and are said to look "natural" .
Old 01-04-10, 05:48 PM   #19
doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Do you really need a jig that stands up? Do bass eat this type of jig better than one that doesn't? I'm amazed at the new jigs every year that stand up, spread out, leave bubbles, spread scent, rattle, etc. and are said to look "natural" .
To mimic a crayfish defensive posture yes my jigs need to stand up. Not only that but unless you just fish football head jigs you would be suprised at how often your dragging/hopping your jig along the bottom and it is laying on its side instead of in the upright position.

Take a couple of your favorite non football head jigs that you fish with fill the sink full of water and drop them in, do they land upright? I've never seen a crayfish lay on his side and jump across the bottom.

And do not pay $5 a piece for these jigs, E-bay is your friend. You can catch some good deals on evo jigs on e-bay.

Last edited by doc; 01-04-10 at 05:49 PM. Reason: added the e-bay comment
Old 01-04-10, 06:00 PM   #20
3dkicker

Bass being opportunistic feeders are more likely to eat a crawfish in a defensive posture versus one that's scooting sideways, possibly injured, across the bottom?
Old 01-04-10, 06:41 PM   #21
doc

Quote:
Bass being opportunistic feeders are more likely to eat a crawfish in a defensive posture versus one that's scooting sideways, possibly injured, across the bottom?
IMO their gonna eat the one that looks most natural, so that would be the crayfish that is in the defensive posture, or scooting across the bottom backwards normally. I'm no crayfish biologist by any means but i've never seen one lay on its side and continue to move across the bottom.

If your flipping the jig I dont think it matters much because you mainly just fish the fall then a bounce or two, but for casting and dragging a jig I want mine to land right, and my trailer(pinchers) to go up in a defensive stance.
Old 01-04-10, 06:55 PM   #22
3dkicker

Do your skirts flare or do they lay flat? And why use a skirt at all or a weed guard?

The reason I'm asking is because I like to question the thought process when people buy baits. Just to question "Why?". Hopefull I'm not coming across as picking a fight or antagonizing you. I just wanted to pick your brain a little.
Old 01-04-10, 07:05 PM   #23
bamabassman

Doc, not to argue oyur point.....but i sometimes think that the bass will eat it if it is different too. Not something that looks more naturel, but something that seems UN-naturel. If it is strange it might be something he wants as well. It all goes back to this, a bass will eat ANYTHING on a given day. Our job as fishermen (and fisherwomen), is to find out what they want on that day.
Old 01-04-10, 07:51 PM   #24
carolina-rig-01

I am not going to argue the point that a natural looking bait is important, I too agree with this. But I do think that at times people pay too much attention to small details and overlook the obvious. For example at times we get so caught up in finding baits in colors that perfectly match our local crawfish or baitfish that we loose sight of how important good components are in a bait. This statement has nothing to do with Evolution Jigs, I have no experience with them and they are probably well made jigs. But I know of a lot of guys who will buy a spinnerbait or jig that has cheap hooks, poor head design, or weak weedguard just because the color is exactly what they are after and they ignore how poorly made the bait really is.
Old 01-05-10, 10:05 AM   #25
doc

Quote:
Do your skirts flare or do they lay flat? And why use a skirt at all or a weed guard?

The reason I'm asking is because I like to question the thought process when people buy baits. Just to question "Why?". Hopefull I'm not coming across as picking a fight or antagonizing you. I just wanted to pick your brain a little.
Evo skirts flare when let set still, And the floro weed guard is nice, It really camos itself well. IMO the most important thing about any bait is confidence. Does it really matter if your jig lands upright, defences up, has a floro weed guard to make it hard to see, smells like a crayfish (smelly jelly baby)? The only one who really knows are the fish, but I think it matters and I have more confidence when im fishing a bait I think will catch a fish.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.