Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-06, 07:08 PM   #1
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default BassPro Shops.....are too crowded!

Man,
thats a understatement, we went to their classic sale today and
geeesh! what a mess..

I had never been to one and thought I could find most of my 15 items suggested on this forum, but soon discovered Berkely, rapala, strikeking, gary yamamoto, and a few other brands were the driving force behind most of cincinnati's stocked store...plus at about 1 dollar per item higher than Dicks, Walmart, Kmart etc...don't get me wrong, I did find some items, lunker sauce(still haven't figured how to get this garlic scent out of the house..thanks-alot-zooker...lol) plus I was able to stock up on items I had lost last year (cordell red trap, buzzbait, spinnerbait, plastics).
I looked at thier sale items...
rod/reel combos and wasn't impressed at all..
They did have about every Zoom product I needed, got the dead ringer , some split tail trailers, this n that etc... It seemed like the most common item they promoted were tubes.... I always plan on using tubes but more times than not I elect something similiar, a craw, pnj, etc..
I did get a Kreature bait, denny turned me on the the bulbous headed looking warrior, and I have had good luck on them.
I also got the sweet beaver, it reminds me of the reaper with ribs, and moled together claws, I know they work , just never had bought any..
Also saw a giant pack of the ol Gizits, man that brought back memories of flipping pads at Indian lake, its a solid tube with tenticals, but slender in nature...thought they had quit making them...
KVD seemed to dominate the spinnerbait selection, plus afew other brands, I wasn't impressed at all with common size blades..I'll get more homemade ones at fisherman Headquarters in Dayton
One thing that pissed me off was NO SPINNERBAIT SKIRTS!
whats the deaaaaaaaaaaal?
Again I;ll have to go to dayton to a speciality bass shop and find tons of skirts in wooden boxes,
and then get bigger blades for backup situations..everyday someone gets shot in dayton ohio, so that should be fun....huh
The most favorable thing I can comment on at the BPS is the great sales
help..all the guys were old as dirt and really knew the stock and where it was located, I had one dude show me the 4 inch pulse worms and dead ringers(thanks lizards for the idea..light brown)
all in all not a bad deal, I only spent about 45 bucks today and got half the items I was looking for....just a drop in the ol bucket for the bait monkey!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 07:34 PM   #2
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

JB, Sounds like you did alright. Our Bass pro shop sucks here in NY.I went to a bass club fishing flea market today. It sucked, all I bout was 2 packs of Picasso scuttle worms( senko knockoff). Man they stink with some sort of bad scent.I drove 40 miles to spend a grand total of $3.00. The Bait monkey is most likely packing his stuff heading out of town the way we mistreated him today huh ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 08:24 PM   #3
Marty

Quote:
Our Bass pro shop sucks here in NY.
I haven't been there yet. Sounds like the 50-mile drive ain't worth it. How would you say it compares to Gander?

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 08:30 PM   #4
JB

I hear Gander has lots more plastics, I need to go , its only 30 miles away
Old 03-05-06, 08:32 PM   #5
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default SUCKED!!!!!never..never again

Ya Jb and myself drove an hour to the BPS.I thought It's Sunday we will get there when they open and no one will be breathing down our necks,WRONG!!! The store opened at 10am we got there at 10:05am by 10:15am JESUS!!!!! couldn't hardly get around.I got a kart to carry my stuff bad idea.Plus I could only find a few things on my list.I picked out all the stuff from the catalog and ended up not finding most of it there.I think the biggest let down was I went there to pick up a baitcaster and the one I wanted they didn't have,So I'm gonna order it outta the book.OH well JB
and I hung out and also went to Dick's sporting good.All in all we had fun just looking at all the tackle.I did get the Extreme BPS 360 Qaulifer.I got all of my gear in there .The BIGGEST prob. was narrowing the plastics selection down Holy crap didn't realize how much plastics I had .But I did it. Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 08:39 PM   #6
pig n jig

Marty, I would have said Gander Mountain was alot better, but the last few times I was to Rochester, I didn't see the selection they used to have either. The old Galyans ( now Dicks) had the baby paca craws and Norman thin N's. Other than that I didn't buy anything.It could be I caught them in transition of restocking, because they had cleared several sections and were moving stuff around. P N J
Old 03-05-06, 08:52 PM   #7
pig n jig

Denny, I have to order the stuff I want from Bass pro shop as well. The crap they carry isn't what I want to look at that I see in their catalog. I get tired of filling out the what you would like to see here that you didn't find comment form they have there. I don't think they even look at it before they toss it out, because I must have filled the same things out 300+ times and nothing has changed yet. P N J
Old 03-05-06, 09:36 PM   #8
bassinbob

One of these days someone is going to open up a chain of stores that carries every other kind of bait that there is. It sucks driving a lot of miles to check a store out and they are limited in their products. I've never been to a BPS but I have been to a Cabelas. They aren't too bad in their selection. Matter of fact they got better a year after they opened. Plus the last time I was there I got 2 Airrus Co/Matrix rods for $59.00 each. Both times I went there they were crowded. I also bought the new Citica when I was there and mounted it on the 6ft6in. Airrus mh. I strung it up with 10lb. Yo-zori. I was practicing with it out in the back street. I love the way it casts. Much more smooth than the old Curados. Can't wait to try it on the water. Matter of fact this coming weekend looks like it. Supposed to be in the 70's.

Bob
Old 03-05-06, 11:46 PM   #9
bass kicker

the bass pro shops in canada is awsome (ontario) its the only one
Old 03-06-06, 10:37 AM   #10
Fishie

JB that's why I don't go during that...lol...
Old 03-06-06, 12:09 PM   #11
JB

The best tackle shops IMO are usually the garage size stores near a BIG lake..I've seen some on ky lake that are lots better than BPS, easier to find stuff, and more selections.
Old 03-06-06, 12:20 PM   #12
Fishie

yeah I know what you mean....some of those little places have some neat stuff just cost more..
Old 03-06-06, 12:54 PM   #13
Wishing2BFishing

PnJ, you mentioned those Picasso Scuttle Worms. Every year, I pick up a pack in the same color . . . I think it is called Camo. Anyway, sometimes, when the fish aren't hittin' my standard-beginning-the-day-arsenal, I will throw on the Picasso and get some good bites. I don't know if it is the smell, the color, or both.

By the way, the packaging this year changed. And, for what its worth, this lot doesn't seem to smell as bad as last year's pack.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 06:47 PM   #14
lovinfishin9
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to lovinfishin9

I have a small store on the lake i fish. Its real small, its only a single wide trailer but they have most everything i need at pretty cheap prices.
Old 03-06-06, 06:55 PM   #15
lizardsrule

There too crowded because they have more stuff than other places. I will go when I'm around one, but as many of you do, I just order on-line, easier, and even with shipping charges, it can still be a lot cheeper than driving with the gas prices. Plus you get access to ALL of the products.

Lizards
Old 03-06-06, 08:00 PM   #16
pig n jig

Wishin, I seen the color you mentioned. I got watermelon with Copper flake.I couldn't imagine them smelling any worse than these do. I wish I had bought the whole bin of them for that price. The guy who sold them will be opening his tackle shop in 2 weeks. P N J
Old 03-06-06, 09:32 PM   #17
crankybait

how lucky... i have plenty of tackle stores around the highschool im going to go to. fishing with friends everyday aferschool... its right on the beach and theres a ponds, so i can choose freshwater or saltwater. what a lucky highschool choice i made
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-06, 10:39 PM   #18
bass kicker

where are you going to school cranky
Old 03-06-06, 10:53 PM   #19
crankybait

allied health medical
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-06, 10:26 AM   #20
zooker

hands down best time to hit bps is either when they open during the week-7am here- or 2pm mid week..never go to bps on weekends..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.