Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-08, 09:28 PM   #1
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Skunkin in the weeds...

I've been fishin a pond that's got patches of weeds. I cast past the weeds to get to the deeper water.
I'm using a light spinning rig with 10# P-Line Floroclear. I'm texas rigging various Gulp's or Creme worms on a 2/0 or 3/0 Gamamatzu worm hook.
A few times now I get what feels like a good hookset and definately have a fish on. Then he gets into the weeds and when I finally pull free, I'm reeling in my baited hook with no fish - He's somehow shakin the hook in the weeds.
I guess if I could get him to surface before the weeds I just might keep him on.
Any ideas?
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 09:40 PM   #2
Jim80

Try switching to braid with a fluoro leader . Or just go straight braid
Old 08-29-08, 10:07 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

I have had that problem at times. I switched to braid a few months back and have not had that problem but just a few times. I use braid with a fluoro leader. I actually had one tonight try to tie me up in the weeds. The braid turned into a weed eater and the 1.75 pounder came out with about 3 pounds of weeds attached to him.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-08, 11:24 PM   #4
Jim80

Gotta love when your picking weeds off the line that weigh more than the fish, makes ya think theres a beast on until ya get a look at it .
Old 08-30-08, 11:01 AM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would switch to a medium heavy action combo with 17 pound lined horse the fish from those weeds before they have time to get into trouble.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 11:17 AM   #6
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

The "light spinning rig" part is the problem. A 7'+ rod will help, and heavier line too. Braid isn't necessary either, it's just preference. Like keithdog said, just use something heavy enough to where you're confident that you won't break off, and PULL the fish out of the grass - don't let him dig into it.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-08, 04:09 PM   #7
Abbeysdad

Thanks - I have a heavier rig with 30# braid and Floroclear as the leader for 'bigger water' - I'll give it a try. I was using the lighter rig because I can cast out further to reach the deeper water. Casterline Pond is only about 8 acres and designated by DEC for no boats. With the exception of the shallows around the shore, it's mostly 10'-15' deep with a good sized 20'-25' depression in the center. Fishing the edge of the deep hole seems to be most productive right now. I know there's other species in there - saw a huge carp swim by - and I understand that it's stocked with Trout each spring, but all I've caught are several small Smallmouth Bass.
Old 08-30-08, 09:01 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

If you want the invisibility of Floroclear line, get som ein 20lb test and use that on a heavier rod.

BB
Old 08-30-08, 10:55 PM   #9
Abbeysdad

EIN ? not sure what that is.
Old 08-31-08, 03:13 PM   #10
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

What he was saying was "get SOME IN 20 pound test".
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 02:00 PM   #11
Abbeysdad

LOL - thanks. I thought EIN was some code, slang or acronym fer some special line.
DOH

Actually, after using some 30# braid spiderwire for a bit now, I think a decent 20# test Floroclear mono might be even better - The braid is okay, but not a good as I'd hoped on my spinning reel.
Old 09-01-08, 04:50 PM   #12
Bob60
BassFishin.Com Member

Got the same kind of pond here in Tulsa. I bought a new 7'6" swimbait rod and new reel to go with it. I put 20lb floro on it. (heavy action) Trying it out with soft swimbaits, no luck yet. My pond rod is 7ft. med/hvy. with a 6:2.1 reel with 40lb. power pro braid. Bass with grass, no problem. 5lb. best so far (she had 4lbs of grass with her) Far as I'm concerned, if the grass is real thick braid is the answer.
Bob60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 05:55 PM   #13
dubyatee
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to dubyatee

20 lb fluro may be just fine as far as strength is concerned, but there is no replacement for braid when fishing around grass in my opinion. The braid just seems to cut through the grass much better
dubyatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-08, 09:42 PM   #14
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post
EIN ? not sure what that is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
What he was saying was "get SOME IN 20 pound test".
Quote:
LOL - thanks. I thought EIN was some code, slang or acronym fer some special line.
DOH

Actually, after using some 30# braid spiderwire for a bit now, I think a decent 20# test Floroclear mono might be even better - The braid is okay, but not a good as I'd hoped on my spinning reel.
Sorry about that. When I type fast I accidentally put spaces before letters.

BB
Old 09-03-08, 10:29 AM   #15
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyatee View Post
20 lb fluro may be just fine as far as strength is concerned, but there is no replacement for braid when fishing around grass in my opinion. The braid just seems to cut through the grass much better
Well for what it's worth, I gave braid another shot and I'm voting thumbs down unless/until I invest in a casting reel/rig.
I spooled it on my medium/heavy shakespear spinning reel (others have I thought), but braid digs into itself making subsequent casting a problem. Also, after an hour or so, I noticed a fray that created a slub.
I replaced it with 15# monofilament for now, but feel a 15-20# floroclear might be even better. Next time I can find it.
Old 09-03-08, 10:44 AM   #16
Jim80

Quote:
Well for what it's worth, I gave braid another shot and I'm voting thumbs down unless/until I invest in a casting reel/rig.
I spooled it on my medium/heavy shakespear spinning reel (others have I thought), but braid digs into itself making subsequent casting a problem. Also, after an hour or so, I noticed a fray that created a slub.
I replaced it with 15# monofilament for now, but feel a 15-20# floroclear might be even better. Next time I can find it.
What type of braid are you using?
Old 09-03-08, 02:03 PM   #17
Abbeysdad

Spiderwire and yea, I've heard some bad stuff about it - others on the shelf when I bought it were bright white and yellow and I thought the moss green would be less obvious. Since messing with heavier line, the fish are just toyin with my emotions - hit's, but nothin to sink a hook into.
Old 09-03-08, 02:29 PM   #18
Jim80

Try power pro , I had bad results with Spiderwire and love power pro or just use a heavier mono . I also like fireline from berkely
Old 09-03-08, 02:52 PM   #19
Fishnngolfn

I have only used Power Pro and Suffix because of the recommendations from those here on the board. I have never had any problems with either.

Once Santa fills my stocking this year, I plan on having 20# moss green Power Pro on all my reels except one where I will use the hivis orange Suffix with a Pline fluoro 12 or 15# leader. I use the cheapest mono I can find as backing on the reels. I only put about 40 to 50 yards of braid on my reels.

As far as the braid digging into itself, if I hook into a big fish where the drag is used or I find myself cranking down on the bugger, I pinch weight to the hook and throw it out and reel it back in. This will usually pull out those casting problems after a big fish. I also make sure I spray that KVD line and lure conditioner on the spool before I start fishing. This helps tremendously.
Old 09-03-08, 03:15 PM   #20
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I have only used Power Pro and Suffix because of the recommendations from those here on the board. I have never had any problems with either.

Once Santa fills my stocking this year, I plan on having 20# moss green Power Pro on all my reels except one where I will use the hivis orange Suffix with a Pline fluoro 12 or 15# leader. I use the cheapest mono I can find as backing on the reels. I only put about 40 to 50 yards of braid on my reels.

As far as the braid digging into itself, if I hook into a big fish where the drag is used or I find myself cranking down on the bugger, I pinch weight to the hook and throw it out and reel it back in. This will usually pull out those casting problems after a big fish. I also make sure I spray that KVD line and lure conditioner on the spool before I start fishing. This helps tremendously.
some sound tips here - thank-you.
Old 09-03-08, 03:26 PM   #21
Fishnngolfn

I can't take credit for those tips. All of the tips I mentioned were from others here. I have, however, found that it is good to carry a leather or thick rubber work gloves with you. That braid will slice into your hand like a hot knife into butter.

I did read online somewhere about setting your drag properly. It said to set your drag to about 60% of the line strength. This can be done using a portable hand scale. I have mine set that way and (combined with the KVD conditioner), I rarely get those "slubs" as you called them. I call them "loop knots". I think they appear due to the line not coming off the reel in a uniform manner.
Old 09-03-08, 04:21 PM   #22
BASSFISHINCHRIS20
BassFishin.Com Member

try coming from the weeds TO deeper water instead of running paralell with it
and use braided line
BASSFISHINCHRIS20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-08, 04:22 PM   #23
Abbeysdad

'slub' is a textile term to identify a lump in fiber.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/slub

In this case, it looked like one or more fibers in the braid broke and the frayed end(s) balled up to form a slub.
Old 09-03-08, 04:36 PM   #24
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSFISHINCHRIS20 View Post
try coming from the weeds TO deeper water instead of running paralell with it
and use braided line
Can't really do this in this pond...This is an 8 acre pond designated by DEC as no boats. The weeds are like a hedgerow about 20 yards out. You need to cast over the weeds to get to the deep (20+') water (most of the pond is 10-15', with a hole off center that's 20-25'.
I get most hits on the other side of the weed bed in the deeper water...so if/when there's a hookset, the fish has got to come through the weeds.
Sometimes I can get them up, over the top, but often they hunker down into the weeds. What I need is to get me a water weed eater to "make a hole"!
I can't get out as far with the heavier mono unless I switch from Texas rig to Carolina, but I'll change it up some and see what happens (e.g. 15# mono for the main line carolina rig with a short 10# floroclear leader.)
Old 09-04-08, 08:50 AM   #25
JB

I'd throw the frog on the mat with heavy duty braid, and hold on!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.