Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-08, 07:51 PM   #1
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Saltwater Clean-up

I have an aluminum bass tracker that I rarely (as in went out the mouth of the river once and came right back in) use in salt water. One of the guys I work with has talked me into going out in the bay/flats this weekend for some reds and I know that saltwater will corrode an aluminum boat and would like to know the best procedure/method to clean the boat off afterwards. I know about flushing the motor with freshwater for at least 15 minutes. I put in at least 30 minutes if not an hour upstream from the mouth of the river and figure this will mostly take care of that, maybe a "quick" flush when I get it home What about the hull and interior. What is needed? Just spray EVERYTHING off with freshwater inside and out? Or is there more to it? I am originally from the Great Lakes area and have never had to deal with the salt before. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
-Aaron
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 07:53 PM   #2
GreenF350
BassFishin.Com Member

Oh yeah, what about the trolling motor? I know they make saltwater versions, can I use mine in the salt every so often or will this cause problems?
GreenF350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-08, 07:34 AM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have a waco jon boat that sees salt water quite a bit.. flushing the water and washing the boat after every time out are very important..always make sure ya hit the grease fittings on the moter with fresh water as they are steel but not stainless and will rust shut in a heart beat.

as for trollers i use a salt water troller myself. i would not use a fresh water troller in salt water with out first applying a good amount of waterproof grease to the foot pedal, the prop shaft and the plug in. the connections in the foot pedal are VERY likly to rust the push rods also. the prop shaft is not water tight only the front-nose of the troller is. i would flush these areas with fresh water after your day of fishing.....

do not leave the boat unwashed after your day of fishing no matter how tired you are.salt water dries and rust forms insantly..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.