Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-10, 10:18 AM   #1
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Navico (Lowrance) has lost Linda Colt

From a report by her son, Linda was forced out and is no longer working for LEI. She was the only one there that took care of 5 returns for me and she really gave me confidence that when something went wrong she had it handled. This just reaffirms my recent switch to HB, but I still have 5 Lowrance units and I sure hope I don't have problems with them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 02:41 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Linda was the only reason I would ever consider buying a Lowrance, she made a lot of customers very happy because she was always willing to give them the service they deserved when everyone else with Lowrance would refuse to stand behind their product. I can't believe that they would get rid of Linda, anytime people talked about Lowrance someone always had something good to say about her. Really glad I switched to Humminbird too. Lowrance is a freaking joke.
Old 01-19-10, 02:50 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

More on the subject, this is a post that her son put on basszone about her leaving Lowrance:

Linda is my mom and yes she quit today.

Wanted to let everyone know that after 21 years, Linda Colt has left Lowrance. She was actually forced out. Linda is my mother and it is in her best interest to quit. A couple of months ago she took some vacation time. She was called by a long time customer who had drove to Lowrance from out of town to get a unit repaired. He was shocked to find that the lobby was closed because mom was off. When mom found out she was mad and took it to her new boss, her new boss did not care and said she thought they should shut down the lobby. Mom was shocked as she had been giving thousands of Lowrance customers service in her lobby for 21 years. She escalated this to her bosses boss. Her bosses boss agreed with mom and disciplined moms new boss. Ever since that day her new boss has tried in every way to get mom out. Including 1) writing her up for working on her personal time. She found out that mom delivered a unit to a customer over the weekend and wrote her up for it. Truth is that mom worked 21 years without lunch breaks or 15 minute breaks, she went in at 5 am and left at 4 am yet she only turned in 40 hours every week. YOU WONT BELIEVE THIS. Last week she had a doctors appt, while she was out a long time customer came by and left a personal thank you card with Moms name on it with some guy named JOSH. Seems JOSH couldnt stand it so he opened the card and found a thank you card and a $50 gift card. Josh turned this in to Moms boss. The next day when mom returned to work, the customer called mom to see if she got her card, she said no that she had no idea what hes talking about, he said he gave it to Josh. So she asked Josh and found out he gave it to her boss. NEXT thing you know mom gets called in and written up for accepting a gift card. Keep in mind, she still to this day has not seen this card, yet she was written up for it. She was told it is illegal for any employee to get gifts from customers, she stated that she never received a gift. Funny thing is the next day, she had to hand deliver a weekends stay at Big Cedar that was given to another employee. Mom would never tell anyone about things like this. BOTTOM LINE, the Navico product is nothing near the quality that Lowrance was and mom takes it personal when she cant help a customer. She was crying every night and her Dr said she failed a stress test, her heart cant take it. Keep her in your prayers and GOOD LUCK to NAVICO..
FYI, she asked for a severance package and was offered NOTHING, she knows recent employees where given upto 6 months severance...Anyone looking for help?
Old 01-19-10, 03:29 PM   #4
WTL

Well, after reading that I wont go near a lowrance product. Thanks for posting this.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 03:44 PM   #5
MIbasser

I had an issue with an LMS-520 last year. E-mailed her and she had one sent to me that week. Not even asking about the issue. When the new one came it had a prepaid return receipt with it. I really like Lowrance product but like Bender I maybe looking at HB when I want to get a new unit.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 04:19 PM   #6
nofearengineer

Holy god....this is certainly a reason to rethink my sonar plans.
Old 01-19-10, 05:01 PM   #7
WaffleJaw

That was probably one of the worst stories I ever read...If I were the son...I think a jaw or two would get broken regardless of repercussions.
If that was happening to my mom,Id be in sitting in jail right now.
Old 01-19-10, 05:12 PM   #8
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Holy god....this is certainly a reason to rethink my sonar plans.
That is why I was trying to talk you into the Humminbird unit instead of LOWrance.
Old 01-19-10, 05:31 PM   #9
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

DAMN! That makes me wanna let loose and throttle someone...I was thankful when Carolina posted her direct # and she was so helpful when I was having issues with my x135..turned out to be a faulty cable and I received it in 3 days time...just a wonderful person to deal with. She really knew how to put your mind at ease, unlike a lot of these service companies who have scripted material and act like robots when it comes to helping you.

This story will make me think twice about buying another Lowrance product. I wonder if Humminbird is hiring.
Old 01-19-10, 05:56 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

All send any complaint emails to: louis.chemi@navico.com or jeanine.coleman@navico.com or
call 18006284487

Also, linda can be reached at 9182747077

according to basszone everyone is calling Lowrance and telling them how upset they are to hear about what happened with Linda. So many people have called that now the calls are just going straight to voice mail. Anyone who has a dog in the fight should call and voice your opinion or send an email to Lowrance. All phone numbers and email address' are available above.

On another note, the Tulsa boat show is the first week of February and rumor has it that Lowrance hired 4 armed security guards to guard their booth because people were talking about protesting them and who knows what else. Surely Lowrance will get the hint that they made a huge mistake.
Old 01-19-10, 07:35 PM   #11
cpbcop
BassFishin.Com Member

Angry Loss of Linda Colt

Lowrance needs to pay close attention to this current flare up in customer dissatisfaction. If any of the reports about the reasons for Linda Colt leaving Lowrance are true, then a storm is on the horizon. A week ago, I was mentioning how much I was impressed with the new HDS line of products and was thinking about replacing my LMS-480 with an HDS-5. A friend mentioned that Lowrance had fired a long time employee and said the word on the street was to stay away from Lowrance. That really bothered me but now I know why he said what he did. I will have to seriously re-think my choice. Without great product support and customer relations that you can trust and count on, Lowrance is on the way downhill regardless of innovation and cutting edge development.
cpbcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 07:50 PM   #12
bcklash

Check this out--may want her back!!!
She helped me and Adam install his unit, great person.

http://www.basszone.com/2010quickflips/navico1.htm
Old 01-19-10, 08:39 PM   #13
BassBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

In the past I've tried tell people that Lowrance are a bad news. Now this, there it goes, nothing new. I'll stick with the Humminbird thank you.
BassBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 11:52 PM   #14
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Carolina Thanks for the info, I sent emails...
Old 01-21-10, 09:29 PM   #15
syd

Linda Colt as far as i am concerned was the most valuable employee they had. She answered my emails on many occasions. She is the perfect example of what customer service should be. I cannot believe any company can be that stupid. I wish her the best and am sure that her employer will realize their mistake and beg her to come back.
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 09:36 PM   #16
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

I've been following this on 3 forums and several news websites and if Carolina is smart she would not come back to work unless she was the boss of that department (at the Boss pay) and had a protection contract in hand. Break the contract she get a full years pay severance package.
nmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 10:03 PM   #17
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmanley View Post
I've been following this on 3 forums and several news websites and if Carolina is smart she would not come back to work unless she was the boss of that department (at the Boss pay) and had a protection contract in hand. Break the contract she get a full years pay severance package.
If Carolina is smart?
Old 01-21-10, 11:15 PM   #18
nofearengineer

ROFL....I think he made a slight typo.

You know, I was struck by the sheer number of posts applauding Mrs. Colt before this all happened. To have that kind of unsolicited praise, you have to be doing something really, really right. I think somebody in the higher ups must have brain damage to drive a person like that out the door. She sounds like a great person.
Old 01-22-10, 01:49 AM   #19
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

OH heck...I did a brain fart. Mrs Colt or Linda. I ment to say.
A guy on another board thinks the $50 card was planted as a setup to use against her. Very possible considering some of the SCUM she has worked for.
nmanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-10, 02:14 PM   #20
cassidyta

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
If Carolina is smart?
If only I had a nickle for everytime that has been said...

Seriously though, I do not condone any company that creates an environment where a valuable employee is forced to leave.
That being said, the things for which we give her great praise are grounds for discipline in most cases. Working through lunch or breaks is considered a violation of federal labor laws. Any boss who knowingly allows that to happen can face labor board fines. Several corporations have been forced to reach multi-million dollar settlements for allowing those things to happen. In most cases, the fine is a tripple penalty fine. The company is forced to pay the employee for the time (to include overtime) and then pay the labor board double the wages as a fine.

Again, I am not criticizing her for doing so, but from a business case, it is generally grounds at least a written warning.
Old 01-23-10, 02:47 PM   #21
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
the things for which we give her great praise are grounds for discipline in most cases. Working through lunch or breaks is considered a violation of federal labor laws. Any boss who knowingly allows that to happen can face labor board fines. Several corporations have been forced to reach multi-million dollar settlements for allowing those things to happen. In most cases, the fine is a tripple penalty fine. The company is forced to pay the employee for the time (to include overtime) and then pay the labor board double the wages as a fine.
I have heard this in the past, and previous bosses have made me go on break before. My response - "why do I have to go on break, I was in a good rhythm?"

Its a bad law. In todays world, which has become completely fubar, yes I suppose it is grounds for discipline. I have heard of such before. That doesnt change the fact that its screwed up.
Old 01-23-10, 03:48 PM   #22
bamabassman

Well i disagree that this is a bad law. My reason is lisa has HAD to work during her breaks and such WITHOUT compensation as well as overtime. But it also because i hated her boss too. So i am biased on that. I haven't heard of the lawsuits or anything, so.........
I say this, if youwant to work during oyur break or lunch or overtime ( which i have because mainly of who the customer is), you should be allowed to. But if the customer is a HONEST person (hahaha, yea riiiiight), they would understand if it is explained to them. Most will wait with understanding even if they are pissed off. I do, it gives me time to collect my thoughts and calm down so i don't look lie a fool when i get to someone with authourity.

So i am saying it is a good law AND a bad law, depending on the situation.
Old 01-23-10, 05:43 PM   #23
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
Well i disagree that this is a bad law. My reason is lisa has HAD to work during her breaks and such WITHOUT compensation as well as overtime. But it also because i hated her boss too. So i am biased on that. I haven't heard of the lawsuits or anything, so.........
I say this, if youwant to work during oyur break or lunch or overtime ( which i have because mainly of who the customer is), you should be allowed to. But if the customer is a HONEST person (hahaha, yea riiiiight), they would understand if it is explained to them. Most will wait with understanding even if they are pissed off. I do, it gives me time to collect my thoughts and calm down so i don't look lie a fool when i get to someone with authourity.

So i am saying it is a good law AND a bad law, depending on the situation.

Thats a case of a bad employer more so than a good law.

They are trying to protect the worker, but the law is inartfully written enough that it probably causes as much trouble as it solves, maybe more.

The way I see it, and this also accounts for Lisa's situation, if you are working, you are on the clock and should be paid for your time. If you are not working, then whether or not you get paid is up to the boss. And nobody has the right to say from a desk in Washington that you have to take breaks if you yourself do not want to. Thats sorta similar to what you said though.

The truth is not every problem in labor relations can be solved by laws. Some times you just have to hope you get a good boss, and if not, weigh your options.
Old 01-23-10, 05:52 PM   #24
bamabassman

I totatly agree with you. It is a catch 22 nomatter what.
Old 01-23-10, 07:52 PM   #25
nofearengineer

When I was "an employer", the law was, your employer was not required to give you a break or any kind. However, if he chose to, and that break was unpaid, or off the clock. then it had to be 30 minutes long, minimum. 29 minutes? Violation. I had to scold 16 year olds many times for taking too short of a lunch break. They usually rolled their eyes, as they should have. It is a bad law, but there was a good reason for it originally.

It was done to keep employers from making employees work while production was high, and then 5 or 6 times a day when it was slow, clock out for 15 minutes or so and wait for the next peak.

Unfortunately, as is usual in this country nowadays, those of us who are just honest and straightforward about this sort of thing are hamstrung by those who would abuse others, and try to cheat the system.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.