Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-11, 07:38 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Does this happen to every bass fisherman

my back never started hurting till i really go into to bass fishing, i have sit on the bank countless hours for cats and no pain. just wondering, cause my low back has been killing me today, i am a pretty big guy, but damn it is starting to get to me.
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-11, 10:18 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

My lower back hurts after standing in the boat for long periods of time. Sitting while I'm fishing doesn't really bother me much. But keep in mind, bass fishing is a much more active type of fishing that bank fishing for catfish. Your constantly moving, whether it be casting, up and down from the seat or digging out another outfit. Getting older doesn't help either, lol.
Old 08-14-11, 11:31 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

I have some back pain issues that I blame on standing all day long in the boat and the pounding my back takes from hard runs in rough water. A while back I was struggling with back pain as well as my knees hurting and my hips bothering me really bad at the end of a day on the water. I tried several different pairs of shoes trying to get relief and believe it or not the only pair of shoes that totally take the pain away were Crocs.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 02:18 AM   #4
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I was about to say the same thing about the shoes. The foundation holds the house. And if the founddation aint happy, the house aint happy. I always hurt after I get out from sitting a long in a my 12' aluminum boat. And like KD said, you are moving around more. If you are bank fishing, you have to occasional little stumble and moving around that can aggrevate the back. And if you are new to fishing in a boat, you tend to stand or sit stiff until you learn to be fluid with the motions of the boat and trust your balance.
Old 08-15-11, 07:22 AM   #5
wallywallace

thank you guys, glad its everybody and not just me
Old 08-15-11, 07:58 AM   #6
AUFred

I think several of the pros talk about the pounding the boats inflict on their bodies, especially their backs. I pond fish and paddle the whole time so I am always sore the day after.
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 10:13 AM   #7
lilmule

Their are pads one can put under the boat carpet to reduce the standing fatique,and how we actually drive out there also plays a part.
With a bad right foot,a replaced left knee back and now heart problems I find a manual troller with a foot on off switch and long ext handle is a big help,along with being seated or supported by butt seat.
Ky lake has my troller out of the water every so many waves,fall to spring,yet not taxing on me.
Often fish in 3 -3 1/2 fters.Just dont run far in them with a small 20 ft allison,yet its capable.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 10:39 AM   #8
Top Tiger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The thing that helps me most is to go someplace close by where you don't plan to fish, take 15 minutes and go swimming. That stretches everything out and cools you down at the same time. You're not gaining anything by trying to fish in pain. I don't fish tournaments, so losing a bit of time isn't an issue but being comfortable sure is.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 11:43 AM   #9
CamG

Standing up in a boat all day is killer on my lower and mid back. I have found that if I wear a good pair of running shoes, in drastically helps.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 11:47 AM   #10
wallywallace

thanx i been wearing sandles, but man ah man, today was the first semester of classes and i had to park at the other end of the campus and walk, casue we all the new students lack of parking places, dear lord with all the fishing over the past 2 weeks, i was about in tears by them time i found my car, from joy and pain, gotta start wearing shows
Old 08-15-11, 01:38 PM   #11
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
Standing up in a boat all day is killer on my lower and mid back. I have found that if I wear a good pair of running shoes, in drastically helps.
What pair of shoes has helped you Cam? I have tried everything from Nike Shox to barefoot and honestly Crocs is the only footwear that has helped me but my Crocs sandals get a little chilly in february lol. The only pair of shoes that seemed to help me at all are asic gels and although they aren't as beneficial to me as the Crocs have been, I do wear them in cold weather because they are better than any other shoes I have tried.
Old 08-15-11, 03:38 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
What pair of shoes has helped you Cam? I have tried everything from Nike Shox to barefoot and honestly Crocs is the only footwear that has helped me but my Crocs sandals get a little chilly in february lol. The only pair of shoes that seemed to help me at all are asic gels and although they aren't as beneficial to me as the Crocs have been, I do wear them in cold weather because they are better than any other shoes I have tried.
Kory, Louann wears "Dansko" shoes while she's at work...12 hour shifts 3 days in a row, and she says those are the best ones she's found. They keep her feet and back from hurting, even though she's up and down stairs and walking all over the place on concrete floors.
Old 08-15-11, 04:21 PM   #13
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Kory, Louann wears "Dansko" shoes while she's at work...12 hour shifts 3 days in a row, and she says those are the best ones she's found. They keep her feet and back from hurting, even though she's up and down stairs and walking all over the place on concrete floors.
I have never heard of them before. Thanks I will check them out!
Old 08-15-11, 05:23 PM   #14
Z-Man
BassFishin.Com Member

The dansko's are like a croc type clog with a massive sole and a bit of a back heel to it. You might not like them because they make you about 2-3'' taller, which in a boat might not be a good thing. I would recommend either The reebok zig, a couple of the higher end mizuno running shoes or try a pair of birkenstock clogs. they are like crocs, but way more comfortable and not as stupid looking.
Old 08-15-11, 06:07 PM   #15
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-Man View Post
The dansko's are like a croc type clog with a massive sole and a bit of a back heel to it. You might not like them because they make you about 2-3'' taller, which in a boat might not be a good thing. I would recommend either The reebok zig, a couple of the higher end mizuno running shoes or try a pair of birkenstock clogs. they are like crocs, but way more comfortable and not as stupid looking.
I was with you until you started calling Crocs stupid looking, those are fighting words lol. Seriously I agree that the Crocs clogs are kinda dorky looking and honestly I don't own a pair of them. But I do have a few pairs of the Crocs flip flops and I absolutley love them, plus you can't even tell they are Crocs by looking at them.....and man are they comfortable. I haven't tried the reebok zigs because they are not exactly a good looking shoe either in my opinion, but if they are that comfortable then I could care less about how they look.
Old 08-15-11, 07:57 PM   #16
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
Asic Nimbus are the ones I've been wearing this year. They are most comfortable shoes I've ever owned.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 10:37 PM   #17
Jrob78

My ex is a nurse and always wore/wears Dansko shoes. Around here, all the dr's and nurses wear them, must be something to that.
Old 08-16-11, 02:00 PM   #18
TN_Bassin

I like the croc flip flops, but honestly it's been so hot lately I've stopped wearing shoes altogether while fishing.
Old 08-16-11, 02:02 PM   #19
66KingFisher

In the "For what its worth" dept, I'm going to throw this out there for ya'll to chew on. As some of you know I began living a barefoot lifestyle in June of last year. Over the course of the past 14 months I have also done alot of research into barefoot living and I've learned several eye opening things. One of which is that vitually everyone comments that their lifelong back pain goes away once they stop wearing shoes.....I can also gladly post the same results that many years of lower back pain dissapeared relatively quickly once I took my shoes off.

This appears to be a common thread among everyone that does it.....So what does that tell us?.....Maybe that the common "Running" style tennis shoe that we've all gotten so used to wearing is not really good for us....Especially those of us that don't use the shoe for its intended purpose of running. See, all the extra padding thats put in the heal of the average running shoe to supposedly protect us from a jarring impact as we run makes the heal of the shoe taller then the toe area of the shoe....In fact most running shoes are mfg on a 2:1 ratio in that the heal is twice as high as the toe...So the wearer is always walking around with a wedge underfoot.....And thats just not a natural way for us to walk....No wonder our backs hurt at the end of the day.....Not to mention that most of these running shoes have multiple layers of foam padding, and/or some sort of aircushion or springs built into the heal....These so called comfort items only make it more impossible for our feet to mantain proper balance......Think about it.....If our shoes are suppose to be our "Foundation".....how sturdy can we be standing on springs and mutiple layers of foam rubber??.....You'd be far better off with a flat soled shoe or sandal...something with a 1:1 ratio.....And stop and look at your tennis shoe from the side....see how the toe points are the sky?....Whats up with that....My toes don't point at the moon...Why should my shoes?

If you decide to pitch the modern running shoe for a flat soled shoe of some sort, just remember that after years of wearing high heel shoes that your back will be screaming at you for switching to a flat shoe..or no shoe.....but once your body gets accustom to a level walking surface below your feet you'll begin to notice you feel better and those pains have gone away.....It'll take a little bit till you strengthen your foot muscles and your tendons and leg muscles get used to being used, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

I'm not trying to convice anyone that they should go barefoot 100% of the time. although they'd probably love it once they got used to it and they'd be healthier because of it.....All I'm saying is that since I started my journey down this road I have learned alot and read alot of articles concerning how bad the modern running shoe is for us....even for runners.....And if you look at the data it makes perfect sense.....Most of the modern worlds lower back problems can be traced to modern shoes with its padded heels and raised arch supports....both of which 90% of the people in the world do not need.

Anyway, before I turn this into a novel, I suggest that if your dealing with frequent lower back pain and your constantly feeling the need to buy a new pair of shoes to alleviate your back pain, that maybe....just maybe, you might concider that the shoes your buying are the cause of your problem, not the solution.

PS....Theres alot of new "minimal" shoe designs beginning to hit the market....these are lightweight, very flexable, thin soled shoes designed to give the wearer max sensory input like being barefoot, but still offering some protection and of course....they are fashionable....lol

Just my 2 cents worth.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.