Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-09, 09:03 PM   #26
Bassassinator
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Bassassinator

yeah i have also viewed the importance of both reels in the rgards that i have lures too light to throw on my baitcaster...such as my new 1/8 oz. little floating rapala minnow that my girl got for me but she's caught some nice sized fish on it so i think i can try to throw that one....maybe i am throwing baits too big for the fish that are around me right now, and perhaps i will go with the spinning combo for a while and throw the lighter and smaller stuff for a bit....see how that goes...I think the fish will come with time and practice.
Old 09-14-09, 09:20 PM   #27
wargoth

Yep, can't completely do away with the spinning gear. Like everything else, it is situational. Light lures, skipping, casting into the wind, etc. are all easier on the spinning gear, so I keep 3 rigs around, Ultralight, Med. Light, and Med Heavy for when I need em.
Old 09-14-09, 09:28 PM   #28
Bassassinator

awesome, see this isn't turning out to be as complicated as I thought it would lol. so far anyways. but the real trick for me is getting the technique down once the lure is in the water...like jerking the rod tip, retrieves, and where to hold the rod up, or down. Also, locations and what fish want elude me greatly....this is something that isn't coming easily to me....maybe it's just for the simple fact that certain things are out of my rteach at the moment...like almopst anything i need a boat for.
Old 09-15-09, 03:35 PM   #29
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Do your best from the shore. Yes, a boat can help, but you will be learning another skill set.

Remember, it doesn't matter how "awesome" and "enticing" your presentation is if there are no fish in the water you are fishing. Convince yourself to move to other locations until you find them.

I am a shorebound angler and I can really feel your growing pains, and I know I went through them and still do. While fishing from the shore can be somewhat limiting, take it with a grain of salt and keep moving. If your cover permits it, step down in line size and try some finesse techniques. They just might be the ticket.

The most important thing is to keep at it. Try to learn something new on every trip and build on it. Make mental notes and jot them down. Caught a fish? What did you catch it on? How was it hooked? What were the atmospheric conditions? How about the water? What retrieve or cadence was I using? Why? If you encounter similar conditions, you will have a better idea of what might have greater potential to produce for you. Not always, but it doesn't hurt.

Maybe it's just the geek engineer in me. Always analyzing, tinkering, and evaluating.

Lastly, I respect you for keeping at it. You will be rewarded.
Old 09-15-09, 03:47 PM   #30
DaveW731

I MUCH prefer a baitcast setup for manipulating the bait once it is in the water. I learned that by palming the reel in my left hand on the retrieve, it made the rod feel like an extension of my index finger. Much easier to put subtle action into the bait as a result. Now, spinning outfits feel clumsy on the retrieve by comparison.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-09, 04:50 PM   #31
Bassassinator

Heya thanks IB i appreciate it alot man, i will continue to try new spots and one day soon i know I will get my "Trophy" Bass lol. or a Personal Best at least hehe....and Dave, I agree, it's alot more sensitive to the touch with my baitcaster compared to the Spinning setup, but still needed for certain situations...thanks guys a lot lol
Old 09-16-09, 11:34 PM   #32
TnTom

If your fishing from shore your in a good place to flip/pitch with your BC (or spinner). I catch a lot of nice fish with my boat positioned to hit the cover near shore and often catch nice fish right at the bank. You can do the same. If your throwing a lot change up and try working at your feet. Be stealth and you'll find fish where you never thought they would be. Jigs and Creatures and numerous other softbaits and you can wear them out. AT THE SHORE LINE
Also stop by wallyworld and go to the pool/spa garden setion and get a WATER Ph test kit not the stripss. $7-8 bucks and be sure the water is good where you spend your time.
Bass have a Ph of 7.6, slightly alkaline. They can adapt very well in water ranging from 6.7 to 9.6. Given a choice they will seek water in there region that has a ph of 7.5 to 7.9 (they wont travel great distances to find it but will seek it if it is within the range they trave)l. If you have a shoreline that is a mile long take a moment each time you go out and see what it is at the spot you choose to fish. You may find some sweeter spots that are more attractive than others. If the Ph is no good so is the Oxygen and possibly the temp. It really pays to know each because if you aren't catching fish something is wrong. Temp is easy to keep track of and so is Ph. Oxygen will sort of follow suit.
What does this have to do with BC'ing. nothing but if you have a long (7'6") fast action rod and practice a little flipping you'll really learn to love the BC. Being shore bound is every bit as productive as having a boat (given the same spot).
I use my spinning gear mostly for skipping or colorado rigs if I am so inclined but BC 1/2 - 3/4oz jigs a lot.
Flippin and sweet water = Bass
TnTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-09, 02:05 AM   #33
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassassinator View Post
Heya thanks IB i appreciate it alot man, i will continue to try new spots and one day soon i know I will get my "Trophy" Bass lol. or a Personal Best at least hehe....and Dave, I agree, it's alot more sensitive to the touch with my baitcaster compared to the Spinning setup, but still needed for certain situations...thanks guys a lot lol
You can increase the feel when using a spinning rig simply by holding some of the line in your hand that isn't holding the rod when the line is relatively taut. It would be the equivalent of how you might see some who use a casting reel and slip their forefinger (pointing finger) under the line at the front of a casting reel.

Line choice affects how well you will receive feedback.
Old 09-17-09, 06:00 PM   #34
TnTom

Default Fishin from shore and baitcasting

I'll try and post some pics of some creek fishing in my neighborhood using a BC. Some of my more memorable days "on shore" were accompanied with my BC'r.

Do you do any wading. Don't over look the the fly rod and reel for getting in some great creek and shoreline fishing.

My feelings are if there is water you can baitcast and have a ball doing it.

Last edited by TnTom; 09-17-09 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 09:29 PM   #35
Bassassinator

yeah i do a little bit of wading out just about to my waist. recently not so much as the temps have been dropping...I use my baitcaster more and more and i have a blast. unfortunately, I haven't caught a single thing on the new setup. I get more and more discouraged, when i go out, cuz i hear alot about staying towards the shoreline. However, i have tried this and i find it hard to believe that a nice size Bass would be randomly swimming in water only 6-8 inches deep. I love fishing and no, to answer your question, i haven't even thought about fly fishing yet....i was gonna think about it after i get the other methods down first. Seems pretty difficult to me.
Old 09-18-09, 12:33 PM   #36
DaveW731

Default Try the fly!!!!!

Quote:
yeah i do a little bit of wading out just about to my waist. recently not so much as the temps have been dropping...I use my baitcaster more and more and i have a blast. unfortunately, I haven't caught a single thing on the new setup. I get more and more discouraged, when i go out, cuz i hear alot about staying towards the shoreline. However, i have tried this and i find it hard to believe that a nice size Bass would be randomly swimming in water only 6-8 inches deep. I love fishing and no, to answer your question, i haven't even thought about fly fishing yet....i was gonna think about it after i get the other methods down first. Seems pretty difficult to me.
While I think it is a good idea to get one method down before learning another, let me assure you that if you can master a baitcaster, flyfishing will be a cinch. Little bit different mindset than conventional casting, but spend 30 minutes with someone who can show you how it is done and you will be able to do it well enough to start fishing. Also good idea to get some input on a good "starter" outfit for the type of fishing you want to do.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-09, 02:45 PM   #37
TnTom

Bassassainator,

A contour map can really help you discount shoreline that will not likely yield anything. A series of contour lines with not much variation in the "straightness" is not likely to be productive. If you can see jogs at a spot along your shore line it is the most likely spot that bass will use to return to their feeding ground.

Just keep at it and your going to get the bite your looking for on your BC'r. When you think your fishing too slow.....slow down some more and be painfully persistent.

Last edited by TnTom; 09-19-09 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-18-09, 11:45 PM   #38
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Bassassinator,

I have caught several of my biggest bass ever just a couple of feet off of dry land. Bass go wherever they want to. Especially if they think a tasty critter is there.
Old 09-19-09, 08:33 PM   #39
Bassassinator

Ok. I will keep it to the shore i suppose....or try to anyways...Today came my first big headache with the BC....I had to cut out a Birds nest from 50# PP Braid. Not fun. Respooled in a record time for me though lol.
Old 09-19-09, 10:21 PM   #40
nofearengineer

You'll have a few of those days, Bassassinator. I had a nasty backlash today from twisted line that resulted from trolling crankbaits in water full of weeds. When they get clogged up, they just spin and spin and spin. It just wrecks the line.
Old 09-19-09, 10:56 PM   #41
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
You'll have a few of those days, Bassassinator. I had a nasty backlash today from twisted line that resulted from trolling crankbaits in water full of weeds. When they get clogged up, they just spin and spin and spin. It just wrecks the line.

Don't even get me started on that nofear! while trolling for musky with a 4" bait, the lip had come loose and the crank ran way off to the side and out pop out of the water. well it ended up getting wrapped around another line we had out.... I was able to cut the steel leader off the one that the line was tangled around and pull it straight out of the twist, but it was still a big mess.

BB
Old 09-23-09, 12:22 AM   #42
BassinBandit

My only advise is to go ahead a purchase a good baitcast reel for your first one. I bought i crappy one and got frustrated with it and quit using them for a while. Then I put the money in and bought a good one and I use them more than spinning now.
Old 09-23-09, 12:42 AM   #43
bcklash

I am the only fisherman in the world that does not get backlashs.
Old 09-23-09, 01:07 AM   #44
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Thats because of the funky cast you make
Old 09-23-09, 10:28 AM   #45
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcklash View Post
Are you also the only fisherman who is satisfied with 5 foot casts?
Old 09-23-09, 11:44 AM   #46
islandbass

Quote:
I take it to mean he only uses spinning reels. Just kidding.

Just had my first backlash in a VERY LONG TIME. Took 5 minutes to undo and that is a long time when you have only 15 minutes to fish.
Old 09-24-09, 12:12 AM   #47
bcklash

Quote:
If it's catching fish that's ok with me. Actually I do better casting longer casts, it's the shorts casts that makes me learn new words.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.