Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-10, 09:30 AM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Dobyns Rods?

Or more specifically, their Savvy series.

I'm in the market for a rod to handle my t-rigged senko fishing and lighter t-rigs. I found the 7'3" MH F Dobyns Savvy rod. Rated for 1/4 to 3/4 it fits my needs perfectly, and is a decent price.

Has anyone used these (or any Dobyns rods)? If so, how was your experience with them?

I've heard some really good things about them, but the more input I can get, the better.

Thanks,

BB
Old 02-26-10, 10:15 AM   #2
Bassboss

I've heard pretty good stuff from the folks at tackle tour (forum) too. But I would also look at powell Max rods looks like they would suite your need better; tackle tour gave (review) them a 9.28. The 7'3" Max is also rated lighter than the savvy at 3/16 rather than 1/4. Same maximum weight. But I do think the savvy looks better!

What reel you plan on putting on it BigB?

p.s. - try asking on tackle tour, they have a heck of a lot of knowledge on those kinds of rods (not saying we don't).
Old 02-26-10, 10:25 AM   #3
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I've never handled a Dobyns, but I have heard nothing but good things about them. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

I'm about 99% sure Gary Dobyns had a big hand in designing the Powell Max rods, from what I understand the actions, powers and characteristics of the 2 rods are very similar. I only say this because I own a Powell and absolutely love it! If the Dobyns rods are a step up from the Powells then you've got yourself a fine rod!

Isn't the Savvy series the lower priced Dobyns rods? In the $140 - $180 range?

Last edited by Jrob78; 02-26-10 at 10:32 AM.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 11:27 AM   #4
BigBassin144

A month ago, I had it all figured out. Then I went from 1 rod, to 2. Now I've got like 6 to choose from... I'll check out the Powell rods. I held one once at Cabelas a while back, and it was nice.

The 1st Generation Dobyns Champion Xtreme scored a 9.21 on TT, but the Xtreme is out of my price range..

Jrob, I do believe Gary Dobyns helped design the Powell rods before he started Dobyns Rods. And the Savvy is the new rod on the low end of the spectrum for Dobyns.

Choices, choices...

BB
Old 02-26-10, 11:44 AM   #5
Jrob78

Choices indeed!

I am sure that either way you go you will be pleased. My understanding is that the Savvy line is pretty much aimed at being direct competition with Powell. I wish more retailers carried these rods, I bought my Powell on reputation alone, that and a lot of reading.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 11:48 AM   #6
Bender

BB, do you know Brian Plenzler from Toledo? He uses a lot of the Dobyns rods and is always talking highly about them. I know it's a long drive for you but he's giving a seminar Saturday over at D&R in Kalamazoo: http://www.dandrsports.com/default2....ve_page_id=243

I just got my first Powell rod in the other day after a couple of my friends have used them all last year. I'm pretty impressed with the build of it and it is nicely balanced. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Edit: Also this weekend is the Otdoorama show in Novi. Mike's RX will be there and he carries Dobyns rods: www.mikesrxbaits.com
I'm not sure if he will have any there but his shop is not too far from you over in Morenci, MI. Also if you are up that way Ron Foley at South Street Tackle in Belleville, MI carries Powell. Between those two places you should be able to handle the rods and see which one you like better.

Second Edit: I've never been to Mike's shop but I figured I should warn you to leave all credit cards at home. He has a HUGE selection of Megabass, Lucky Craft, etc. and it I hear that he even has a bait monkey that lives there and will attack you if you're not prepared.

Last edited by Bender; 02-26-10 at 12:01 PM.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 12:00 PM   #7
cassidyta

While I can not speak to the savy line, I own 3 of the swimbait models and 1 of the jiging could not be happier with them. I think these rods really shine when you are talking about the longer (over 7') models. They have a perfect balance for the hook sets on my jigs and swimbaits. I am not saying that the shorter ones do not work, but I have no experience with them.
Old 02-26-10, 12:13 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
BB, do you know Brian Plenzler from Toledo? He uses a lot of the Dobyns rods and is always talking highly about them. I know it's a long drive for you but he's giving a seminar Saturday over at D&R in Kalamazoo: http://www.dandrsports.com/default2....ve_page_id=243

I just got my first Powell rod in the other day after a couple of my friends have used them all last year. I'm pretty impressed with the build of it and it is nicely balanced. I don't think you could go wrong either way.

Edit: Also this weekend is the Otdoorama show in Novi. Mike's RX will be there and he carries Dobyns rods: www.mikesrxbaits.com
I'm not sure if he will have any there but his shop is not too far from you over in Morenci, MI. Also if you are up that way Ron Foley at South Street Tackle in Belleville, MI carries Powell. Between those two places you should be able to handle the rods and see which one you like better.

Second Edit: I've never been to Mike's shop but I figured I should warn you to leave all credit cards at home. He has a HUGE selection of Megabass, Lucky Craft, etc. and it I hear that he even has a bait monkey that lives there and will attack you if you're not prepared.
I don't know him, and haven't heard of it. It's quite a ways out to Kzoo for us, a minimum of two hours I guess.

Man, another show in Novi. I had to talk my dad into going to the first one, lol. I don't think he'll want to go to this one, especially since he plans on working on the car this weekend.

I did check out Mike's booth at the Ultimate Fishing Show up in Novi earlier this year, and if I didn't have my mind set of a rod, I probably would've spent all my money on lures there... He had about 10 rods at the show, half of which were the new Tesseras. I guess those yellow sticks are a good attention grabber to get people into your booth.

We've driven by his store a lot on our way to Lake Hudson, but it's always closed. He did say at the show to just call the phone number on the door, and if he'll come and let us shop if he's available.

Glad to know someone around here actually has them. Cause I do hate buying rods without actually getting to fondle them first.

From reading on the TT forum I've heard that the Powell rods are very nice, but aren't as light and well balanced at the Dobyns. I Haven't seen anything specifically about the Savvy rods, but I'm starting to be interested in the Champion 733.

Stupid Baitmonkey...

BB
Old 02-26-10, 12:15 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidyta View Post
While I can not speak to the savy line, I own 3 of the swimbait models and 1 of the jiging could not be happier with them. I think these rods really shine when you are talking about the longer (over 7') models. They have a perfect balance for the hook sets on my jigs and swimbaits. I am not saying that the shorter ones do not work, but I have no experience with them.
Thanks Cass, It's good to hear from someone with first hand knowledge of the rods. I think a Dobyns rod may be a serious contender for my next rod choice...

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.