Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-10, 04:24 AM   #1
MN Bass Man
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Fish alone or with company?

Just curious how many of you guys prefer to fish alone? I usually do, for the simple reason that I like to be able to go wherever I want, for as long as I want, without worrying if someone else is getting bit, or is hungry, or has to be home to watch a certain tv show, etc. That being said, I also LOVE the occasional day fishing with others, my dad and brother especially, but typically I fish by myself 80% of the time. I find it very peaceful, and calming, and if I'm not getting bit, I can at least enjoy being outside doing something that I love. Any thoughts?
MN Bass Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 08:14 AM   #2
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like to fish alone and do probably about 70% of the time. I don't really talk much and find conversation very distracting when I am fishing. It also allows me to try other things and work on non-standard techniques or fish in way the guys I do fish with are very put off by. One guy I fish with can't stand getting more then 15 feet from the bank. That's fine when there is only 2ft visibility or less and the fish are buried in the emergent vegitation, but that's not the cast most of the time on the lake we fish. He hasn't figured out following a contour at a speacific depth regardless of the relationship to the bank.
Old 03-02-10, 08:51 AM   #3
gamecockbassman
BassFishin.Com Member

I always like to have someone with me in case something goes wrong. Also my fishing buddy loves it as much as I do and will stay out as long as I will.
gamecockbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 08:55 AM   #4
BlueDaksi

I fish a lot by myself, but also enjoy fishing with my son and friends. On huge advantage of kayak fishing is that everybody can fish however they want without interfering with each other.
Old 03-02-10, 09:27 AM   #5
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I like to fish tournys with someone. If I'm just going out for a couple hours I'd rather go alone.
Old 03-02-10, 10:28 AM   #6
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I fish alone most of the time. I like it because I can do whatever I want and sometimes just relax out on the water. Plus I can come and go whenever I want. I do like fishing with other people but it's hard to find somebody that is willing to fish til the TM batteries die which is what I've done before. I fished a tourney last year with my partner and afterward we went to a different lake frog fishing and ended up coming in well after dark, 7 A.M. until ~10:30 P.M. day. It's hard to find other people willing to do that. Another thing is that some of the best things I've learned have come from fishing with somebody else who is very good with that technique.

The only time I really don't like fishing by myself is on big water. I'm just not comfortable enough on Champlain, Erie, Saint Clair, etc. in case something happens. I know bad things can happen on any lake but most I feel I could get to shore if needed. Being miles from shore is a little spooky by yourself, I might look into a PLB.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 10:29 AM   #7
rodnreel

I fish alone about 90% of the time. I just recently got my first boat, so we'll see if that changes anything. It was hard to fish with someone from the banks, especially considering how much I moved around. If I had someone fishing with me, though, it was usually my brother.
Old 03-02-10, 12:12 PM   #8
screwballl

I tend to just go alone because anyone I know that also fishes is usually so flaky that they want to go but "may have something else going on" and can't commit whether it is a week or a day before. So I don't bother and just go alone or take my oldest daughter (7).
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 06:45 PM   #9
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I enjoy fishing with partners a lot, dad, cousin, wife, tournament partners, ect. But I fish a lot better and make better decisions when I am on my own, I think I am just more focused and can spend more time focusing on other things besides getting bit, like graphing a lot of water even if I am not catching fish it is still information that will come in handy down the road.
Old 03-02-10, 07:12 PM   #10
islandbass

None of my buddies fish so I fish alone 98% of the time. I usually fish with my kids and I don't mind that at all. Matter of fact, I usually don't fish when I take them as I will spend more time freeing snags, untangling line, and tying baits.
Old 03-02-10, 07:28 PM   #11
Bob Smith

When I am fun fishing or fishing a low dollar pot tournament (still fun fishing) I enjoy having someone in the boat. It's nice to be able to BS, share knowledge and generally cuss and discuss.

When I up the ante and fish the ABA or something along those lines I prefer to fish by myself because the concentration level has to be at it's sharpest. Too many distractions can blow your gameplan.
Old 03-02-10, 07:37 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

I'm usually by myself, because the wife isn't really into it, but she does enjoy it occasionally. She usually doesn't want to get up that early on Saturdays off and come with me. I love having company, though, so if she decides she wants to go, I'll often delay my launch time a little so she'll be more willing to get up and come with me.
Maybe in the next year or so i'll be able to take little Caitlyn along with me. However, the wife has stated in no uncertain terms that the baby WILL NOT get in our little 14' boat, so any trips with her are indefinitely postponed till I get a bigger boat.
That's a darn good excuse to get a bigger boat, if you ask me....
Old 03-02-10, 08:20 PM   #13
BassMoJo

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I fish with my buddy most of the time really dont have any problems typical trip is 5am til dead batts or sunset...It still goes by to fast if you ask me!
Old 03-02-10, 08:22 PM   #14
bamabassman

Well..........i like to go it alone most of the time. But i have so many people that want to go with me now,lol, that may change. I too like being alone, not to concentrate better, just to be by myself with my thoughts. It is great fun to fish with someone. I suspect my wife and a few friends will be with me this year...Which is fine with me. But there will be quiet a few times i will be alone.
Old 03-02-10, 08:35 PM   #15
Fishing Fanatic

Like Bluedaksi said, kayak fishing allows you to fish alone if you want or fish close to your friends. Your choice. Sometimes I like fishing alone but I just love being in the outdoors...when I'm with my friends its mo better!
Fishing Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-10, 09:48 PM   #16
bassinbob

I'm 56 and most of my buds my age don't fish anymore. I enjoy going with some other buds who are younger. Mostly though, I enjoy fishing alone. That way I can spend all the time I need honing different techniques. I'm like Bender, it doesn't bother me staying out on the water all day. I never met anyone who likes throwing a frog for 8 hours.
Old 03-05-10, 11:19 AM   #17
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

I would much rather fish by myself. That way I dont have to worry if I am to close to the bank or to far from the bank. It is so relaxing just being out on the water doing what I love to do. However I dont mind fishing with anyone as long as they are in no hurry to get back.
Rolling Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 02:05 PM   #18
flfireman

85% of my time is alone, except for tourneys. The other 15% is a buddy or my kids. I like to do weird off the wall things sometimes and when Im with someone they kinda give the "what the heck are you trying to do" look. Plus when Im by myself I can wear my SPF 50 leopard print thong for that all over tan. I enjoy being out on the water alone to collect my thoughts and just relax. Plus if I really need to talk, the alligators will usually listen to me ramble for a little while.
Old 03-05-10, 08:55 PM   #19
BeaverIslander

I usually fish solo, for the reason that I don't have any friends who are avid largemouth bass fisherman. My fisherman friends all prefer Mississippi River flyfishing for smallmouth. They're purists I guess. I generally fish the river with long, light spinning rods, and there were times where I would slaughter the smallies in front of them with lipless cranks, tubes and buzzers and they wouldn't even consider switching to conventional gear. I was always willing to switch to whatever was best at the time.

When I do bring people out with me, I usually try to act as a guide and put them on some fish right away. I use the boat motor to act as a rudder to swing the back casting deck to the best position possible for them to catch fish. They usually only stay a couple hours anyway. Oftentimes we drive separate so I can continue fishing after I drop them off at the dock.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-10, 11:02 PM   #20
dunk50
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
85% of my time is alone, except for tourneys. The other 15% is a buddy or my kids. I like to do weird off the wall things sometimes and when Im with someone they kinda give the "what the heck are you trying to do" look. Plus when Im by myself I can wear my SPF 50 leopard print thong for that all over tan. I enjoy being out on the water alone to collect my thoughts and just relax. Plus if I really need to talk, the alligators will usually listen to me ramble for a little while.

TMI on the thong thing. I am 63 and retired and most of my friend like to fish but they want to SIT and pan fish ALL the time. I like to troll and cast. Fish 95% by myself!! I am good company to ME!!
Old 03-05-10, 11:22 PM   #21
fishin spro

I fish by myself about 50% of the time and with a friend or tournament partner the other 50%

I really enjoy fishing by myself, especially during the summer time. When I am fishing trees and piers I would just assume fish alone...do not want to have to worry about leaving some things unfished so that my partner can fish them. Id just assume be able to throw at anything I want to as many times as I want too. It is also nice to not have to worry about anyone but myself. On the other hand, it is sometimes nice to have someone to talk to on them slow days.
Old 03-09-10, 03:28 PM   #22
danielbasspro

I like to fish alone I make better decisions it seems like
Old 03-09-10, 05:50 PM   #23
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I see alot of people tend to make better decisions and be more relaxed when fishing alone.
I can go along with that, but for me, I love the challenge of outfishing whoever I'm out there with. Especially when 2 of my favorite fishing partners work the same place I do.
Gotta love them braggin rights!
Old 03-11-10, 12:08 PM   #24
nova385

Quote:
Originally Posted by flfireman View Post
And here I thought I was theonly one who did this!
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.