Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-08, 07:29 PM   #26
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If you have an extra steady hand then I would second the dremel. I think though if I were to do it, I would use a mitre box and either a mitre saw or a hack saw. The mitre box will keep the blank stable.

If you are not sure what a mitre saw and box are, you can refer to the thread I made with the latheless popper on 03-09. It has a picture of the box and saw. I think the hacksaw will get it done easily and just about everyone has one in their garage. Good luck!
Old 03-27-08, 09:06 PM   #27
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

IB, my dad works in a shop that does doors and stuff. I've know how to use a mitre saw for years. I was thinking about using our Dremel for the tip, but as for cutting some off the handel which I intend to do, I think the dremel would work, but we don't have a cutter big enough to go through the whole thing. I may use one of the saw's at my dad's shop. I may take all the cork off the handel and rebuild it to my liking. Which I can also do on the numerous sanding tools and the lathe at my dad's shop.

BB
Old 03-28-08, 01:00 AM   #28
islandbass

Cool! That is a good thing that you have access to all those tools. One of my favortie classes back in middle school was industrial arts (nice name for wood working). It is where I learned how to use many shop tools except the lathe. The teacher didn't trust 6th grade boys and for good reason.

The same image came to mind that the cutting blade of the dremel might be short too. If your dad has a band saw, shoot, that thing would do it in less than 5 seconds and the cut would be clean.
Old 03-28-08, 08:10 AM   #29
crankybait

band saw... oh so much fun. A table saw could probably get the job done too... so many ways to do this.
Old 03-28-08, 08:38 AM   #30
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

well, there is a band saw, a few different table saws, and much more at my dad's shop. I never though of using the bandsaw. I think that's what we'll do. We are going to go talk to the guys at NetCraft in Toledo before we start cutting anything. But the dremel for the rod tip and band saw for the handel sounds like it should work.

Thanks,
BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.