Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-08, 08:05 PM   #1
TravisRush
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Proper Swimbait Setup?

I just bought my first swimbait...a BBZ-1 weighing in at 4.9 oz. (slow-sinking)...I just bought a flip/pitch setup so I won't have money to buy this any time soon, but what is a good+affordable swimbait setup? What will it consist of (rod action/power, reel capacity, etc.)?
TravisRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-08, 11:12 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

That's a BIG bait. To throw it you will need a rod rated strong enough to throw it, probably rated for 6 oz. I use an Okuma swimbait rod rated for 4 oz. which ran about $100, but after the fact talking to a guy at Bass Pro Shops discovered that a saltwater rod rated for heavier baits will work just as well. Reel-6.3:1 gear ratio will wouk just fine. I throw mine on 25 lb test line. I use that heavy a like to handle baits up to 4 oz.
Old 10-20-08, 12:16 PM   #3
Raul
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

You can get an affordable swimbait setup with around 220 dollars: Okuma 7´6" Big Bait XH rod ( $109 ) + Shimano Cardiff 200 or 300 ( $109 ), get them at Tackle warehouse and you get free shipping.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-08, 03:52 PM   #4
cassidyta

Since I don't worry about the subtle hits when I throw mine, I use the same rod and reel set up that I have for steelhead. I wouldn't worry too much on line capacity because you are not going to toss it too darn far.
Old 10-20-08, 07:17 PM   #5
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

cassidyta, i guess that goes to show the difference in west coast steelhead fishing and great lakes steelhead fishing. Our steelhead rods were built on fly rod blanks. Don't think that would work too well for swimbaits. I find Tackle Warehouse to be a great place to find what your looking for, even if you don't buy it there. The website setup is awesome IMO.

BB
Old 10-20-08, 11:48 PM   #6
cassidyta

Well BB, I guarantee that my steelhead rod would not make a very good fly rod. It was a custom made rod (for my father-in-law) that is about 3/4 of an inch at the base. He used it for steelhead and salmon. The rod may be a little over kill for the trout, but the chinooks will give you a ride.

I agree with tacklewarehouse being the go to place. But it only works if you know which rod you want.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.