Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-06, 11:08 AM   #1
crankybait
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default does anyone here fix reels?

hey guys. i was wondering if any of you fixed reels. my mitchell broke a while ago. and with my stradic too heavy and my cardinal with a trigger (messes up hooksets) i wanted to get my avocate fixed. iots a pretty good reel and its small, im going to load it with 8 lb cajun redcast. the broken thing is the bail. shouldnt be that hard to fix. the thing that makes the bail spring downa nd lock wont work. it still spins fine but th ail is loose... as if it were on a hinge. ill pay for shipping t there and back because i really want this reel to work. thanks
crankybait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 11:11 AM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

The good ol' days of having a local tackle store with a repair shop are over around here, ya may look at marinas on bigger lakes to see if anyone that sells tackle or puts line on reels could help ya...how did ya end up with all your stuff breaking down on ya?
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 11:23 AM   #3
crankybait

well i dont think there are any nearby tackleshops, but ill check, thanks. and about how it broke. well before it broke, the bail wouldnt clse right. it would kind of grind closed. when you pulled the bail up or down it would take a bit of force and then it springs up. so i unscrewed the side bolts, sprayed in some wd-40, and then i figured out it wouldnt close. i then got it to close somehow, and it was opening an closing without problem... but the locking thing was broken. it mustve beena really small part, couldnt find it on my white carpet
Old 06-29-06, 11:33 AM   #4
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

cranky, in the future if you do buy a quality reel, keep the box that it came in and also the parts list in the owners booklet, that shows where every spring and gear goes, that way you can contact the manufacturer
with the exact part number for the part you need...my basement has shelves of ol boxes and parts lists, along with bass lures that I've had in the past , but never worked //\\
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 01:45 PM   #5
flbassman

I've fixed a few. The cardinals trigger most likely has a small screw on it somewhere, unscrew it with an eyeglass repair screwdriver, pop the trigger off and screw it back in. If you can get a picture of your avocet, I'll take a look at it. PM me if need be.
Old 06-29-06, 02:06 PM   #6
crankybait

well the problem with the cardinal is that when you pull on the line it doesnt lock, it turns to the trigger for the next cast. so the hookset is late. ill try scannig my avocate
Old 06-29-06, 02:29 PM   #7
flbassman

THat sounds more like an antireverse problem. Unless your just slipping it's gonna be tough to fix...
Old 06-29-06, 02:38 PM   #8
crankybait

no, its not a problem. trigger reels are spposed to do that, so the trigger is right next to your index finger for the next cast.
Old 06-29-06, 03:23 PM   #9
flbassman

In that case, just reel as you pull back....

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.