Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-21-08, 11:36 AM   #1
robertmee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 16'ers - Safe on larger lakes?

If you've noted my other thread, I'm in the process of refurbishing a 1986 Glasstream 1550. It's a 16'er and perfect size (I think) for me and my son to fish. However, I was reading another post about the Nitro and the concern about fishing it on a larger lake. I do most of my fishing on Lake Gaston. Gaston is a long narrow lake on the west end, with lots of creeks and coves. It doesn't widen out until it gets near the Roanoke Dam to what I would consider a 'large' lake where the swells can get pretty good.

I'm a long time boater, but with a deep v-hull fish/ski 19'er and have never had problems navigating the lake even in the worse of conditions. What can I expect from the Glasstream, and its shallow draft and shortened length. I am encouraged by what little info I can find on this hull style that it is wide, very stable and somewhat ahead of its time when manufactured in the 80's. But I want to be safe. If it means I stay on the west end where all I have to deal with is current (from opening the Kerr Lake Dam), then so be it.

Any insight on this type of boat navigating vs what I'm used to would be greatly appreciated.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.