Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-10, 09:21 PM   #1
cvillebassn
BassFishin.Com Member

Default 40 hp taking to long to plain with 2nd person onboard

Plane that is,,,I have a 15ft bass boat with 40 hp outboard,,it runs great when im running alone,but when a second person boards it takes forever for it to plane,if it does at all,,,i have a standard aluminum prop that has been beat up a bit,,but does anyone know what else i might check please? Thanks

Last edited by cvillebassn; 07-17-10 at 10:00 PM.
cvillebassn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 09:31 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I dont know if I can say for sure, but the more info you can give the better, such as....the 2nd man in your boat sits...where? Nobody weighs 300+? Is the prop out of warp or just nicked? How long have you had the boat, and has this problem arisen since getting it, or has it always been like this? Is the cavitation plate even with the bottom of the hull? How old is the motor and does it sound right?
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 09:39 PM   #3
cvillebassn
BassFishin.Com Member

motor sounds good,,,when i bought it a few months ago,i test ran it with 2 people in it,ran fine. i usually fish alone,but every now again have friend go,i weigh about 200,,and so does friend,,it seems like it just started recently,its older motor but has been maintained,,i just had full tune up before i started fishing,,,spark plug,impeller,etc,,boat rated at 500 lbs,,,do you think i might need a bigger prop for heavier load?
Old 07-17-10, 09:50 PM   #4
WTL

What you are saying is, you have some confidence that this problem arose and hasnt always just been - so that means it has to be something that has gone wrong. So what can go wrong? Especially considering A)you say it runs ok with one man and B) it doesnt with 2....

Prop could be a factor, yea. Of course it didn't just change pitch, but if you hit something (even if you didnt feel it) it could have knocked the prop out of whack and that could be it. I dont feel qualified in telling you what to do with the prop, whether you want larger or smaller, higher pitch or lower...but a reputable prop shop would know.

I'm not an expert, but there are a few guys on here who have had things gone wrong and perhaps if we all put our heads together we can get close to the issue...
Old 07-17-10, 09:53 PM   #5
cvillebassn
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks,,may have hit something,,recent flooding in area,,but did not hear anything major,,,any help would do,,,thanks WTL
Old 07-17-10, 10:10 PM   #6
WTL

No problem.
Old 07-17-10, 11:39 PM   #7
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If the motor sounds to be running correctly I would have the prop reworked, if it is nicked up it needs it anyway. An aluminum prop doesn't have to be very bad to cause a problem.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-10, 12:04 AM   #8
cvillebassn
BassFishin.Com Member

yeah im thinking thats what it is,,,the prop is pretty nicked up,and if i hit something unknown,it may be warped,,,ive tried adjusting trim and it still acts up,,,Thanks to all,,,if any other suggestions please leave.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.