Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-10, 09:27 AM   #1
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Default broken skeg on trolling motor

Hi guys,

My new boat (well it's new to me...;-) has (had) a brand new minn kota power drive trolling motor. Never used one until this boat and I think i like it. Very responsive and powerful and a breeze to control.
However, my great day of fishing was ruined on my trip home when i noticed in the rear view after hitting a bump, my trolling motor deployed!

Luckily it didn't get snapped off before I could stop the truck. But it it did snap the skeg off and ground the coating off of my transducer for my fishfinder. Transducer's toast but motor still works thankfully.

My question is, you think the broken skeg is gonna be a big problem?

thanks again for your help guys,

Bobby G

P.S. Lesson learned...bungee that bad boy down before trailoring .
bobbygib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 10:31 AM   #2
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Not that big of a deal. You will have to remove the armature and associated components from the housing, the housing should then unthread from the shaft, replace and re-assemble.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 12:16 PM   #3
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks Tavery,

But actually I was thinking of just using it as it is..."skeg-less". Should work okay just be a little less weedless right?
Old 07-22-10, 12:26 PM   #4
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygib View Post
Thanks Tavery,

But actually I was thinking of just using it as it is..."skeg-less". Should work okay just be a little less weedless right?
I would just make sure that the housing in not cracked anywhere, dont want water in your armature housing. I dont know if the skeg being gone will effect steering or not, might as well try it.
Tavery5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 01:26 PM   #5
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

It will probably have a lot of feedback on the pedal if the skeg is just gone. The skeg is sorta like a keel that keeps the motor aimed straight at high speed.

I'm sure it can be fixed, certainly by a qualified mechanic and almost certainly by a clever redneck with some duct tape and jb weld.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-10, 01:38 PM   #6
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

The biggie with the skeg is that it protects the prop.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 12:12 AM   #7
Bender

The PowerDrive has digital steering so the motor itself should be stable steering wise but the boat might not track as well, I really don't know without trying it. My main concerns would be as stated above, protecting the prop from hitting stuff and the housing being cracked.

If that's the worst thing that happens while learning a new boat then you are doing pretty good. One of the first times out with a boat that was new to me I found that rock beats aluminum and completely destroyed a prop.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 08:56 PM   #8
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It is going to be a pain in the butt to try to control. Ive used one with a broken skeg and its a real pain when you have to change directions in a hurry.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 10:32 PM   #9
lilmule

Default yup

Will definately be a problem if part of the existing one is in place make one that slips over it and bolt in place.If not make something and hose clamp it in place,wont look out of place at all as my transducers are mounted with hose clamps.
Most trollers have a locking feature we fishermen generally ignore,if not so eq use a bungee cord to strap it down on trips.

Last edited by lilmule; 07-27-10 at 10:38 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-10, 09:26 AM   #10
bobbygib
BassFishin.Com Member

You guys are ..right on target!! Took it out yesterday and is was a little less easy to control. So this saturday, I plan to improve my ...uh...metal fabrication skills...;-) And I did something I rarley do...read the manual! And it clearly explains how to lock it in place to avoid accidental deployment. thanks guys.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.