Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-10, 08:41 PM   #1
JimmyDon
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Does size matter?

Does an 18' vs 19' vs 20' boat make that much of a difference when it comes to fishing abilty or anything else other than length, and price? Anyone owned different lengths? What are advantages and disadvantages?

Last edited by JimmyDon; 04-15-10 at 10:35 AM.
JimmyDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 12:00 PM   #2
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I would say yes. I have an 18'6" and it gets tossed around a lot more than a 20' in rough water. After that I would say that storage is the other major difference. Not just below deck but setting rods on the deck and still having room to walk around. Also speed is a factor since most 18' are rated for 150-175, 19' for 200, and 20' 225+.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-10, 01:00 PM   #3
Abbeysdad

Hmm..I think it's partly due to length, but also draft. Larger boat designs (even if shorter) that sit deeper in the water are likely to be more stable than shallow draft boats. Of course, then you could go nuts with the whole center of gravity thing. Basically though, for the same boat design, like a bass boat, a bigger (longer) boat will be slightly more stable than a shorter one.
Old 04-16-10, 01:03 AM   #4
bassboogieman

Depends on the main water you'll be fishing. Larger boats offer a better ride in rougher water. They'll get you to your fishing spots quicker, if you're fishing tournaments, much better storage, and you're less likely to stick a hook in the guy on the back deck (or get stuck yourself) when casting 7' or longer rods. But they burn more gas, require a larger tow vehicle, which will also burn more gas.
I started with a 16 alum boat - slow, no storage, not really stable when someone decides to move to the other side of the boat, or you have two guys on the same side. Next to a 17' deep vee, faster, more stable, storage still limited.
Next, an 18'6" glass bass boat. Much better stroage, much faster, and generally the perfect boat for smaller water. Big reserviors or rivers, you need to be careful when the wind whips up 3 footers. Easy to tow, only real drawback was, with two on board you needed to be a little careful casting the longer rods.
Now, I'm in a 21' bass boat. All the storage I need, go fast, burn a LOT of fuel in both the boat and my truck getting it to the water. It rides nice, handles rough water better than any of the others. Two guys rarely interfer with each other casting. It's a bit much on some of the small (electric only) lakes I fish around home, but when I hit water where I can run the outboard - it's the best I've had.
If you don't fish big water often, the middle range of 18 - 19' would probalby do you just fine. If you fish alot of big water, personally I'd want something in the 20' -21' range.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 02:08 AM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I agree with what everyone else has said. I just sold a 19' Ranger that had some really good storage for a 19' boat. I just bought a Triton 21x and was blown away by how much more storage this things has than my Ranger. Like was mentioned above, not only do I have a lot more storage below deck but I can have a ton of rods laid out and still have all kinds of room to walk around. I fish a lot of tournaments so I usually have a partner on the front deck with me and we still have plenty of room and never get in each others way. The ride of a 21' boat is important to me because the lakes I fish get crazy in the summer with play boats and in a tournament I need to be able to handle rough water at high speeds. My 19' Ranger did ok for what it was but it sure didn't handle like any of the 21' boats I have been in.
Old 04-16-10, 10:00 AM   #6
JimmyDon
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys for all the info, was very helpful
Old 04-17-10, 06:10 PM   #7
Dshow28
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Beware of a disease common among boat owners, it's called the 2 footitis. It usually comes soon after buying your first boat. If you get a 16 footer you'll soon want a 18, then after getting an 18 you'll want a 20.
Dshow28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-10, 08:03 PM   #8
bamabassman

Dshow is dead on man, i started with a 20 footer. Then went to a shorter rig only to go back to another 20 footer. Well 20' 6" to be exact. Longer boats do i think take wakes better and are more steady.
Old 04-18-10, 07:52 AM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Always buy the biggest boat you can for area you fish. But beware not all 20 plus boats draft the same or take waves the same..

It is all about the area you fish..

Capt Mike
Old 04-18-10, 10:22 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dshow28 View Post
Beware of a disease common among boat owners, it's called the 2 footitis. It usually comes soon after buying your first boat. If you get a 16 footer you'll soon want a 18, then after getting an 18 you'll want a 20.
Very good point. Every boat I have bought was bigger than the one I had before, just think of the money I could have saved if I would have just went with my 21' boat from the git go.
Old 04-19-10, 12:33 AM   #11
Bender

One more thing to consider that I forgot is if you plan on keeping it inside, make sure it will fit in your garage! At my old house I could have maybe squeezed a 20' in but here I have to trim down and turn the motor just to have enough room to walk past the tongue with an 18'6" boat.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-10, 07:26 AM   #12
JimmyDon
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks guys, I'm gonna start out with a 20' and 200hp, that should be a good starter
Old 04-23-10, 04:00 PM   #13
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDon View Post
Thanks guys, I'm gonna start out with a 20' and 200hp, that should be a good starter

Haha. I should think so! I'm in the market for a 17-18' with between 90 and 130 horse lol.
And that won't be considered a starter boat.
Old 04-27-10, 10:09 PM   #14
JimmyDon
BassFishin.Com Member

lol, I just figured if I start out with that then there's not much room for bigger and faster, that's what I'm gonna tell wife, lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.