Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-17-10, 12:47 AM   #1
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Kayak fishers......

I've really been considering getting a kayak to fish off of. A boat is kinda outta the question for storage reasons, and I've always wanted to get a kayak anyways. I was just wondering if anyone has experience kayak fishing.

Check out these hobies if you havent seen em. They have a peddle type mechanism. There real frickin neat but so expensive.
http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/

And check out this dude catch a marlin on a kayak with only 20# line. Dude has some skills.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqVEvNocKTA
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 05:59 AM   #2
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have been doing butt loads of research on this very thing as well. I like the Hobie Drive system, but their boats are kinda big and heavy, especially the Pro Angler. It seems lots of people like Wilderness Systems Tarpon series boats and Ocean Kayak Angler Boats...

I have narrowed my choice down to 2 different boats... the Ocean Kayak Prowler Trident 13 or the Native Watercraft Ultimate 14.5 Tandem (which can be converted to a solo)...

If your budget doesnt allow a whole lot of money to be spent, check out the Ascend FS12t at Bass Pro... They run less tha $500 and have great reviews...

Just remember that the kayak is only part of being legal and prepared on teh water...

You gotta buy a good paddle, PFD, noise making device, throw rope... and its good to have an anchor, a stake out pole, first aid kit, emergency rations kit, visual signaling device... and if you will be paddling where there is motor traffic, a big safety flag so they see you...

checkout this website for great info... www.texaskayakfisherman.com
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 09:01 AM   #3
Mac2

Also check out www.kayakfishingstuff.com
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-10, 02:54 PM   #4
basshunter21

Thanks for the links guys. And ya walker ive been really eye ballin the ocean kayaks.
Old 07-23-10, 06:27 PM   #5
jslager
BassFishin.Com Member

I just purchased my first fishing kayak this week. I pick it up next week. I had been thinking what a great fishing platform this would be for a while now. I met a guy who offered to take me out to one of his local lakes and let me paddle one of his extra Malibu XFactors(GREAT "big guy" kayak) Wilderness Systems, Ocean Kayak, Emotion, Malibu all make quality products with many options to suit anyone.

I had more fun fishing that day than i have had since the first bass I caught when i was a kid. We caught 4-5 bass each, but nothing with any size. 5-6 hours flew by and i was never uncomfortable, once i found a good position. Needless to say I took him out for lunch to say thanks and we brokered a deal for me to buy his extra Yak for $800. Its a quality yak rigged for fishing with lots of extras. 625lb capacity! You are like me, stuck on the banks wishing i could cast to that really sweet spot. I now have a list of lakes that i always wanted to fish with no boat ramps and little pressure that i can't wait to explore and fish.

Most kayak dealers will rent you a kayak to try out and knock that rental fee off if you buy from them.

Also, check out Kayakbassfishing.com. They have really cool monthly CPR(Catch, photo, release) kayak fishing tourneys with good prizes.
jslager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 09:54 PM   #6
basshunter21

Good for you man, sounds like you had a blast. I'm really looking forward to getting one but it wont be until next yr. Have fun with the new yak dude, be careful tho.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.