Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-10, 01:49 PM   #1
CMorg
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Melted Wire

My trolling motor was used on high for long periods of time today in high wind , on an electric only lake today. I noticed when I got home to charge the battery that the fuse holder had melted insulation exposing the bare metal wire. Anyone else ever have this happen ?
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 02:03 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Nope....but there is definitely something wrong here.

Cmorg, do I remember some post by you a while back about the size of your TM wires and the fuse size? I could be imagining it, but it is really nagging at the back of my mind.

Point is...the fuse is there to protect the wire, not the TM. Obviously you have too small gauge wire, or too high a rating of fuse.
Old 07-24-10, 04:20 PM   #3
bassboogieman

I....... think..............NFE..............is..... Correct
Your wire is overheating due to the draw of the T/M, so I betting it's the wire gauge on the fuse holder being undersized. If the wires running to the T/M are heavier (#8 likely) than the wire on the fuse holder, that's likely the problem. The heavier wire can handle the load without overheating, the thinner wire will heat up and melt the insulation. The fuse or breaker is pretty heavy due to the draw of a T/M and you may have an undersized fuse holder, I think there should be a rating on it.
20a fuse holder will have #16 wire, 30a is heavier with #12 and a heavy one rated to 60a will have #8 wire. As the fuses are the same physical size it would be easy to exceed the holder's rating by inserting the incorrect fuse.

Last edited by bassboogieman; 07-24-10 at 04:32 PM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 05:36 PM   #4
CMorg

NFE , I dont think that I did. However , I dont know. I remember when I first got this boat the fuse holder had a glass fuse that was broke inside the holder. I replaced the holder with one I bought from autozone. I could have easily got the wrong size wire. I used the same amp size fuse. I guess the wire was probably the problem. I hope anyway...
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-10, 10:39 PM   #5
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
I....... think..............NFE..............is..... Correct....
Hurt, didn't it?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.