Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-06, 10:14 PM   #1
jooleyen
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen
Default What should I have done?

I almost have enough money to buy that new setup! YES!

This never happens around here, but I went to my local lake a few days ago, and everything was frozen. Two days later, it got warmer and the lake melted. Only a part of the lake, and the majority of the channels were topped with thin ice, thin enough to break with a small weight. I didn't really expect to catch any fish because the conditions were very wierd, and something I've never seen. I thew some rattle traps, slow rolled a single colorado bladed spinnerbait, and a texas rigged dipstick. I tried a few more things also.
I wanted to throw out some jigs, and maybe a jignpig, but I lost the only jig I had. I'll be stocking up on tackle in a few days.

What would you have done?

Thanks,

Julien
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 12:25 AM   #2
skeeter944

i would have probably deadsticked a dropshot rig with a 4'' worm and 6lb line. keep saving up that money! you will have that combo soon,dont worry! merry christmas!
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 01:37 AM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hang in there man! sounds like you did pretty much what i would have done. i am big on lipless crankbaits and i also love slow rolling spinnerbaits as well. i am with skeeter on the dropshot i probably would have given that a try and maybe spooning too. but don't second guess yourself as long as you went with what you had confidence in! winter fishing can be brutal, may of been the same result no matter what you done.
carolina-rig-01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 02:56 AM   #4
jooleyen

Thanks. Can you dropshot from shore?
Old 12-25-06, 10:43 AM   #5
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
Not easily, unless you have a straight drop, like off a ledge or dock...OR, a snag-free sloping bottom so you can cast out and slowly jiggle it back.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 12:30 PM   #6
BPACA
BassFishin.Com Active Member

now, now.....I do a lot of dropshotting from the shore....it works just as good as if you are in a boat...most of my lakes have very little bottom cover except for rocks so flyrod is right about the whole brushpile/drosphot thing...it gets tough...but for everything else...weedlines...etc it does very well.
BPACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 02:50 PM   #7
skeeter944

i fish a dropshot wherever. i like it in grass believe it or not. just be sure that the bait is just high enough and you wont get hung up alot.
Old 12-25-06, 05:52 PM   #8
pig n jig

Here the bass are deep this time of year.I have been catching them 34-38 feet deep using spider grubs on a 1/2 oz. jighead.If you can fish off long docks, or places that has deeper water and give that drop shot a try. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-06, 09:20 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
Absolutely! Just keep your rod tip up and line tight. I would suggest using a 1/0 hook and the bait weedless or use a weedless hook-that can save a lot of snag ups.

As to the original question-the water is either at or near freezing as evidenced by the ice. I would throw a jig and true pig-an Uncle Josh pork chunk fished extremely slow, with a lot of dead sticking and moving the bait inches, as in 1-2, at a time. The reason for the true pork chunk is they stay softer in real cold water than plastic does. I would also try throwing a small jig with a large pork chunk to get an extremely sloooow fall.
Old 12-26-06, 12:03 AM   #10
FlyRod

Red face

OK, you guys. I stand corrected!
Julien, rig a #2 treble (I prefer red) on #50 test line, add a 2" grub on EACH hook on the treble.
Then face AWAY from the water and cast that sucker so far into dense foliage as you can, preferably at least 20 feet UP into a stately oak, and jiggle it vigorously. When acorns and squirrels begin to fall from the tree, SET THE HOOK! Mmmmmm...Oak Filets! (I likes mine fried in chainsaw oil.)
(&%^$X!)

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-06, 03:38 PM   #11
jooleyen

Lol!

Thanks a lot guys. I really couldn't keep my mind off of a jig n pig. I'm going to Cabela's on Thursday.
Old 12-26-06, 03:40 PM   #12
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I dropshot cast a LOT. In my boat, i set up about 50 ft from shore, cast in a dropshot to about 2 feet of water, then slowly drag it out. I have about 15 different drop shots rigged up and switch out based on water conditions, but yes, you can cast a drop shot :0
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-06, 12:19 AM   #13
skeeter944

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyRod View Post
OK, you guys. I stand corrected!
Julien, rig a #2 treble (I prefer red) on #50 test line, add a 2" grub on EACH hook on the treble.
Then face AWAY from the water and cast that sucker so far into dense foliage as you can, preferably at least 20 feet UP into a stately oak, and jiggle it vigorously. When acorns and squirrels begin to fall from the tree, SET THE HOOK! Mmmmmm...Oak Filets! (I likes mine fried in chainsaw oil.)
(&%^$X!)

FR
rotflmao!!! thats really funny fly!
Old 12-27-06, 08:49 PM   #14
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Here the bass are deep this time of year.I have been catching them 34-38 feet deep using spider grubs on a 1/2 oz. jighead.If you can fish off long docks, or places that has deeper water and give that drop shot a try. P N J
Don't you mean Gar, catfish, or crappie I'm sure you're targeting those fish right now rotflmao

Lizards
Old 12-27-06, 11:52 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Nah, Lizards, I bet he's targeting sand minnows!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.