Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-01-10, 05:11 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Braided Lines and Number of Carriers

When I was at BPS last week, I pulled 6 or so spools of braided line off the shelves to compare the feel. I picked a few different lines based on how many carriers, or strands, they were made of.

1. Power Pro (4 carriers)
2. Sufix Performance Braid (4 carriers @ 10-20lb; 6 carriers @ 30-40lb; 8 carriers @ 50+lbs)
3. Fireline Braid (8 carriers)
4. Spiderwire Ultracast (8 carriers)

What I noticed was brand had a lot less to do with smoothness than the number of carriers, especially when comparing the Sufix.

As you would expect, I found the Power Pro and low test Sufix lines to be the roughest with the sufix maybe being a little smoother. The mid test Sufix lines were in the middle and the high test Sufix, Fireline, and Ultracast were by far the smoothest. They all felt about the same with the Ultracast probably being the smoothest (but not by much at all).

The 8 carrier lines were a bit more supple than the lower ones (although all braid breaks in after some use). I started with Power Pro and never looked back once I spooled up with some 6 carrier 30lb Sufix Performance Braid.

I've had 10lb Sufix on my dropshot rod for over a year now and have been pleased, but again, it's only a 4 carrier line, and there is a VERY noticeable difference in smoothness between it and the Fireline and Ultracast braids in the same test.

Of course, you pay for more carriers. Fireline Braid and Spiderwire Ultracast are both much more expensive than Sufix Performance braid. So if I was using 50lb or above, I'd without question go with sufix. But as I get more and more fed up with line twist on spinning reels, I'm wondering if the extra price is worth it for a low test 8 carrier line.

So, after my rather long winded pre-question, what do you guys think about the number of carriers in different braided lines? Is it worth the price for the extra smoothness?

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.