Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-08, 05:41 PM   #1
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Skipping

How do you skip a lure without spooking the fish? When your lure smacks the water doesn't it spook the fish?
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 05:44 PM   #2
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Its hard to skip without making much noise. Try flipping your lure under things. Once you get good at hit you wont make any noise or splashes.
Old 07-02-08, 06:23 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i am not really good at skipping although i am working on it some because the lakes i fish are full of boat docks that get a lot of pressure from pitching and flipping but not too many guys skip. ideally the loudest splash (which still isn't very loud) when you skip is pretty close to the boat, far enough away from the fish it won't bother them. then as it skips a time or 2 after that the splashes get more quiet, these smaller splashes aren't anything more than shad jumping on the surface as they are being chased by a bass. in fact i think that a lot of the time the fish key in on this sound because it symbols food to them.
Old 07-02-08, 06:48 PM   #4
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

So what is the how to on skipping?
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-08, 07:08 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01

like i said i am not very good at it yet so i shouldn't be the one to give much advice. but here is a video that should help get you started, plus google it and search all over and you should find a lot more information on it. also the guy in the video used to live just down the road from me, we moved since then so now he lives like 30 minutes away. anyways scroll down and click on the video of randy blaukat talking about skipping boat docks.

http://www.flwoutdoors.com/

hope this helps.
Old 07-03-08, 08:13 AM   #6
Mac10
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Use a sidearm cast for skipping....not real accurate until you've done it for awhile, but after trying repeatedly you do get good at it. Carolina is right on about making the bass think there is something up there on top, feeding. One of my friends skips his baits, even in open water nearing weed edges.

My favorite lure for skipping is a speedworm body in watermelon/red texposed weightless on a 2/0 worm hook. I buy zoom speedworms and cut off the tail.....it's a slow fall and deadsticking presentation....works very well for bass.
Old 07-03-08, 09:15 AM   #7
Fishnngolfn

The bass are not always spooked when they see or hear a skipped lure. Sometimes they become more curious. I always try to skip it past (if I am able) where I am targeting (especially docks). I will skip it near or at the bottom of a narrow dock and on through to the other side. I then let it sink about 12 inches. I jerk whatever soft tube, worm, lizard, or fluke (my favorite) to the dock and then let it sink. I usually get hits as it sinks. Small twitches every so often while it sinks helps sometimes. Just practice in open water. You will become more accurate as you practice and your confidence in hitting that little opening under that dock will grow. Good luck.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 11:13 AM   #8
3dkicker

Skipping baits
1) select a bait that skips well. Senko's skip crankbaits do not. Try different types of bait and see what works.
2) spinning gear is preferred but you can skip on a baitcaster but takes more practice.
3) a roll cast works well - leave the bait hanging from the tip of the rod about 8" and roll the bait up, over, and around and with your wrist you snap it towards the object you wish to skip the bait under. Backhand is done the same but in reverse.
4) remember angle in angle out. the lower the angle it hits the water the better it will skip. just like skipping rocks.
5) also if you are skipping under a dock don't hit the water in front of the dock, hit the water under the dock

Also if you don't want your bait to splash on a normal cast try to keep tension on the line as the bait is moving to the target and lift up right before the bait hits the water. That way you gently place it in the water.
Old 07-03-08, 04:18 PM   #9
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

It's true. That skipping normally doesn't spook fish. Even in ultra clear water. They seem to attack it with more aggression if you skip it at them instead of sloppily cast it on them.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 05:43 PM   #10
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
i am not really good at skipping
i am there is no differance in skipping a bait under an around docks. the frog is VERY VERY easy to skip on a bait caster. after a while i have tried it with a t-rig it works but your boat location definatly comes in to play..

if i was working heavy pressured docks i would either be slidin a bait in there with a spinning rod. or watching how 90% of the anglers fish the docks and fish them differantly. i learn this when i lived on the lake i seen it every day and know how to fish the docks in heavy pressure..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.