Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-08, 09:51 PM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Search continues for perfect deep crankbait rod

The Kistler rod . . .
Great rod for throwing shallow cranks and some mid-range cranks. Not so great for the deeper baits.

My all-purpose MH rod . . .
Not so bad for throwing the deeper guys but very bad at keeping the fish on the hook. I credit this rod with two tourney losses that I had a shot at winning if only the fish didn't come unbuttoned.

My recent purchase . . .
Per Zook's advice, I purchased a glass rod. Damn this rod is heavy. I haven't used it yet but I am not sure how I will cast my lure with any accuracy given the extreme limpness of the rod. Maybe I am not cut out for fiberglass (don't like it on cars and don't seem to like it on rods). Nevertheless, Zook, if you read this, I appreciate your help in my quest for the perfect deep crankin' rod.

My other recent purchase . . .
Because I had some concerns when I placed my order for the glass rod, I listened to the monkey and also bought a composite (part graphite and part glass). I am still waiting for this rod to be delivered.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 12:16 AM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

W2BF, I bought a Falcon Cara CCB-5-173DR. A 7-3, MH action rod designed for throwing a DD-22. Paired it with a BPS David Fritts 4.7:1 cranking reel and wouldn't throw them on anything else. Chunking them on this combo is no harder than throwing a Bandit 200. No kidding. Well worth the investment if you like throwing those big bruisers.
Old 10-11-08, 01:57 PM   #3
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
The Kistler rod . . .
Great rod for throwing shallow cranks and some mid-range cranks. Not so great for the deeper baits.
Which one ?

I had a Kistler Mag TS Crankbait, eliminating the 2 reasons why I sold it ( s*ty reel seat and hump grip ) I found the blank very much to my liking, IŽd say excellent blank behavior.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-08, 04:21 PM   #4
zooker

loath da hump too huh raul?? your not alone..

zooker
Old 10-11-08, 08:13 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

the hump... at first, I liked it, but after fishing with it for a while, it starts to make my hands sore. I'm thinking about getting rid of my BPS rods. as for the cranking ord, I won't be of any assistance, but from looking (I haven't fish with any) I second Reb's falcon suggestion. I only held them a couple times, BPS stopped carrying them in-store near us.

BB
Old 10-12-08, 04:10 AM   #6
bassboogieman

Quote:
Which one ?
(Kistler)

Likely the Graphite Plus in the composite blank. They are a M/mod flex and I have two in 7'-0" and one 6'-6". As W2BF says, they are excellent for cranks that run down to about 8' - 10'. But Kistler does not make them in a MH action, which would do much better for the deep cranks and ripping traps and shallow divers through heavier grass situations. This rod is being replaced for '09 - they can still be had, but for not much longer. I'm not certain of the specs for the line of rods replacing the Graphite Plus. I like their full cork handle, which you won't find on any Kistler rods beginning this year (another change I'm not happy with). All but one line will have a split handle, with that being the rods replacing the Graphite Plus which will have a combination foam/cork handle.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-08, 05:02 PM   #7
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have a very old kistler that is a m in 7' that is going into kistler here in magnolia for repairs....I found out you can't stand on them while fishing...The last repair was free but....
They are nice people to deal with..I bought 2 in 2000 and love them.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-08, 10:08 PM   #8
Wishing2BFishing

Raul, the composite rod that ordered is an American Rodsmith titanium crankbait rod. i still don't have it because the vendor messed up my zip code and sent it to another state.
Old 10-12-08, 10:09 PM   #9
Wishing2BFishing

Reb, if the American Rodsmith rod doesn't suit me, will look into those Falcons next. Are there crankin' rods composites or pure graphite (like the Loomis crankin' sticks)?
Old 10-12-08, 11:10 PM   #10
Rebbasser

Graphite. They don't weigh a ton like a glass rod which is why I like them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.