Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-07, 05:23 PM   #1
bothomas
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Should this be my first boat??

In advance I appreciate all the help from you guys. I'm looking for my first boat and am interested in the following: 2001 Javelin venom 18, johnson 150 '01. new electronics( nothing special, but nice ), new TM minnkota 24 v 65#,very clean boat and trailer. Have not checked it out in person yet, may look at it next week. owner sounds like he has taken good care of it and had no problems. Does not mind a bit getting the engine checked and taking it out to the water, want's me to bring a couple of rods with me and we'll hit for a little bit. Asking 11,000 obo.

Any advice ????
bothomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 06:59 PM   #2
weidner21
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to weidner21 Send a message via Yahoo to weidner21

A guy that i fish with has the same boat but with a 115 johnson on it.I think its a pretty nice boat and rides pretty nice as well only thing he would like to have different is to have a 150 on it.....but besides that both he and I like the boat and i would recommend going with it.....weidner21
weidner21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 07:10 PM   #3
bothomas

weidner21,
does the price sound in line to you?
Old 07-19-07, 08:39 PM   #4
weidner21
BassFishin.Com Member

yea i think he paid around 10k for the 115 hp....but yea it sounds pretty close...but it never hurts to try to talk him down alittle bit...weidner21
Old 07-19-07, 08:44 PM   #5
bothomas

yeah gotta try. .. If I pick it up I'll post some pics for everyone....

Bo
Old 07-19-07, 09:21 PM   #6
weidner21
BassFishin.Com Member

Is the boat u are referring to the one on BBC website ?

http://www.bassboatcentral.com/Boats4sale4/Ezell3.jpg
Old 07-19-07, 10:33 PM   #7
bothomas

yeah that's the one. The owner lives about 30 min. from me. talked to him a couple of days ago and seems like a nice guy. You know anything about the boat??
Old 07-20-07, 09:12 AM   #8
weidner21
BassFishin.Com Member

No i dont know anything about that boat except for what it says........im also in the market of looking for a new boat so i cruse around on that website looking at the skeeters.....and all i know is it is identical to the boat on of the guys i fish with except he has a duel consol....but for a first boat it sounds like it would be great.....weidner21
Old 07-20-07, 11:39 AM   #9
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thumbs up

W-21,

This is the place to learn more about Javelins...no longer made, BTW, but excellent boats, from all accounts. They were sort of a second-line to Stratos and VERY popular in parts of the South.

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=45

It's likely that the "Juanson" (Press "1" for Eeengleesh) motor is either carbed or an EFI rather than a DFI, so it's gonna be a bit thirsty. Still, they ran like striped apes. One of my bassin' partners has an older J'son on a BassCat Pantera and it serves us well.
About the "nice guy"; NEVER bank on that. Another of my partners bought a lovely 21' Skeeter from a "nice guy" and said "nice guy" isn't to be found since major issues have arisen re the trailer. Which brings me to....
PLEASE, beside a thorough hull (there may be wood in there, especially in the transom and decks. ANY sign of transom flex, waterlogging or rot?...Run away!) and motor check, have a qualified person do a total checkup on the trailer, especially if it's a closed "tube" type frame. Rust is the threat. Pay close attention to the welds, bunks, brakes and lights as well.
Once it's yours, it's yours...and then it's too late.

Good luck, good fishing, and above all, be safe!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 03:18 PM   #10
bothomas

flyrod,
you think there's a possibility that there is any wood in this boat? '01 I thought would have to be 100% composite.
Old 07-20-07, 08:27 PM   #11
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by bothomas View Post
flyrod,
you think there's a possibility that there is any wood in this boat? '01 I thought would have to be 100% composite.

See that little linky I mistakenly addressed to W-21? Well, click there and ask away. I tend to agree with you but there STILL some boats being built with wood.
It won't hurt to ask the Javelin guys at that link.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-07, 09:57 PM   #12
Basscrazie

I had a 19'6 and it was all composite and rode real good.Im sure its all composite so no rot later.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-07, 08:13 PM   #13
1FASTLASER

The later model Javelin's had no wood. That particular model is a pretty nice ride. They are surprisingly quick for what they are. The javelins where at one time the "poor mans" startos so to speak..........the thing about it was the javelins where out running the stratos boats. I used to LMAO when a stratos owner got po'd when this happened. Have the motor checked out by a reputable mechanic and demand a compression test. THAT TELLS ALL on the shape of the engine. Check the transom area and the nose of the boat for any damage. If all is well offer him 10 and see if he bites.
Old 08-09-07, 09:40 PM   #14
bothomas

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice laser. check out the boat and everything was fine.....except the boat was a little smaller than i thought it would be.. ran like a boat out of hell tho.. never drove a boat before and got it to 60 on the speedo..

Looked at more boats and bought a 2000 javelin R-19 with a johnson175. love the boat, plenty of room to fish and goes faster than I'll know for the next little while. Also handles rough water great.. first time out was sunday after buying on sat and I already hate ski boats and jet ski's... we'll what do you expect when you wait till the middle of the afternoon to put in. I'll post some pics as soom as I quit playing with it. Thanks for all the help guys.. I'll be asking set up Q's soon!!!!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.