Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-08, 06:43 PM   #1
DJ_Callahan_27
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Fish 01 / Fisherman 00

I got my butt kicked today. But in my defense the water was muddy and the current was very slow and I thought it would be a bit clearer. Today I went wade fishing in a small river below my house here in southeastern Ky. When I said the water was muddy in mean 2 to 5 inches of visiblity and to make matters worst all I brought with me was a 3/8 oz. white tandem indiana blades top one gold bottom silver, 3/8 oz. black/blue jig with rattles, # 8 shad rap, and a bag of 4 inch Zoom super flukes and 4/0 wide gap hooks. I'm not at all good at fishing heavily stained to muddy water. What can I do to be more productive other than loading the boats and heading to the lake. lol
DJ_Callahan_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 07:41 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

in real muddy water you want your colors to be darker , ie; black spinners with a colorado blade or black worms with a chartreuse tail .
Old 07-26-08, 08:01 PM   #3
DJ_Callahan_27

I really didn't think it would be that muddy. Even the flukes I had were white. The only bait that I had with me suited for the water conditions was the jig and I don't have alot of confidence in that bait unless I'm in my boat droping it aroung timber or into graas, ect. Never had any luck casting it. In water that muddy is it better to fish closer to the bank or what? I know that the grass kinda works as a filter but there really isn't much fishable grass there. All advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-08, 08:26 PM   #4
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

in real muddy water like that the fish will hold extremely tight to cover so areas like that would be your best bet
Old 07-26-08, 08:43 PM   #5
DJ_Callahan_27

what lure types and colors would you use in this situation? And what presentation would you use? The river is only about 75 to 100 feet wide in it's bigger places and getting as narrow as 10 to 15 feet in places with average deeps of only 3 to 5 feet with a few exception here and there that will get as deep as 8 to 10 feet.
Old 07-26-08, 08:55 PM   #6
pignjig

DJ- If the water was up in the river, most times the fish have moseyed over toward the bank--easier for them to battle the current.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 10:32 PM   #7
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

IMO, vibration is WAY more important than color in muddy situations. Get a spinnerbait with large single or double colorado blade. Most people say dark colors and single colorado, but our best producer for muddy water (about 6" of vis) was a Booayh white/chartreuse double colorado spinnerbait. also try a rattletrap.

BB
Old 07-26-08, 10:49 PM   #8
DJ_Callahan_27

The Strike King Lil Mr. Money 3/8 oz in white got a couple of bumps today but only when I stuck it way back in a lay down. I had one hooked but it had me around every branch in three countys before it got off.
Old 07-26-08, 11:01 PM   #9
pignjig

When I read your description of the river again, it sounds a lot like the Roanoke River near Salem, VA. For what it's worth, we catch smallies on beetlespins, senkos centipedes and t-rigged craws especially in the deeper holes, where rapids transition to calmer water or floated past boulders and such. Green Pumpkin works the best for me in clearer water. When the river gets up and the bass hug the bank, dark spinners (in-line and safety pin) are pretty deadly. Also, split shotting a black needle worm will almost always get you a bite or two. bcklash and bassinbandit might have some other tips- they're a lot sharper than I am. Good luck, man!
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-08, 11:25 PM   #10
DJ_Callahan_27

Never fished Roanoke River but sounds right up my alley. I will have to try some of those tips. Never thought of the t-rigged craws but I will the next time .lol This river also alot of smallies and largemouth aswell as the pesky musky. Matter of fact I caught my bigest smallmouth out of this river (23" did not wiegh, releast it) on an inline spinner. Thanks Pig for all the advise

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.