Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-08, 09:43 PM   #1
rangerryan
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default dead on the water

ive got a problem..... my cranking battery wont stay charged even after running down the lake it wont charge back up. Whats the first thing that comes to everyones mind? i have an idea and have already made up my mind but i need some assurance before i spend some money.
rangerryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 10:10 PM   #2
Basscrazie

Whats the voltage when you start and finish?I would charge it ck voltage and let it set overnight and ck voltage with nothing hooked up.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-08, 10:55 PM   #3
rangerryan

good when i start and run down the lake and fish and move a time or two then its dead. it will hold a charge for a week or two but as soon as ive ran the boat a few times it goes dead.
Old 08-28-08, 07:09 AM   #4
robertmee

Is the tach also acting up? Might be the rectifier. Hopefully not the Stator.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 07:28 AM   #5
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Why not take it to some place than can check it out properly

L6
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 07:15 PM   #6
rangerryan

im not gonna let somebody that is no more qualified to work on my boat than i am. and it seems to be an intermitant problem that would require 3 trips to a mechanic.... ok.... here is my guess the voltage regulator/rectifier is not allowing my battery to charge and the waterpump is not cooling properly to keep the voltage regulator cool enough and thus causing it to go bad. ive checked all the cables, the battery and made sure that there is no unseen current being drawn from the batteries. but ive been wrong before so what im asking for is some confidence.

thanks
ryan
Old 08-28-08, 09:35 PM   #7
robertmee

It's pretty easy to check the rectifier with a meter. At least rule that out.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-08, 09:43 PM   #8
Basscrazie

It sounds like its just plain not charging..I would need a book to give anymore advise but i'm sure i will run into the same problem some day so keep me posted..
Old 08-29-08, 06:26 AM   #9
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Ranger,
You pretty well already answered your own question bud. On that particular engine you have a water cooled reg/rectifier. If she aint been cooling properly I would be willing to bet you arnt charging. If you have lowrance electronics and are hooked to your starting battery its real easy to check it out. Turn the unit on.......go to digital data and look at the voltage. Then crank her up and look at the voltage. Should be somewhere between 13.8 and 14.2 if she is charging and when at rest the battery should show around 12.8-13.2. If ya wanna get more technical I can send ya the way to ohm out the reg/rectifier. OMC motors are notorious for cooking the reg/rect. Its mounted high in the engine and is one of the last things to see water when it is running. You sound like it is still working a very little,just not enough to keep a battery at full charrge........just like mine is fdoing right now cept I have the part in my glove box to fix mine. Things have just now settled down enmough for me to fix mine. Only takes abount an hour and done deal. Also I wanna point out while that part is bad the rest of your engine electronics are suffering due to low voltage and it could get expensive real quick.
Old 08-29-08, 06:11 PM   #10
rangerryan

thanks for the confidence ive already removed the reg and i just needed a little push to spend the money and i have hummingbird electronics that do the same thing and i did check it and while it was running it was showing about 10.8 and 9.8 at rest so i guess id have to say that you are the man.......... but only if that fixes the problem. lol.
Old 08-29-08, 07:10 PM   #11
Basscrazie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
Ranger,
You pretty well already answered your own question bud. On that particular engine you have a water cooled reg/rectifier. If she aint been cooling properly I would be willing to bet you arnt charging. If you have lowrance electronics and are hooked to your starting battery its real easy to check it out. Turn the unit on.......go to digital data and look at the voltage. Then crank her up and look at the voltage. Should be somewhere between 13.8 and 14.2 if she is charging and when at rest the battery should show around 12.8-13.2. If ya wanna get more technical I can send ya the way to ohm out the reg/rectifier. OMC motors are notorious for cooking the reg/rect. Its mounted high in the engine and is one of the last things to see water when it is running. You sound like it is still working a very little,just not enough to keep a battery at full charrge........just like mine is fdoing right now cept I have the part in my glove box to fix mine. Things have just now settled down enmough for me to fix mine. Only takes abount an hour and done deal. Also I wanna point out while that part is bad the rest of your engine electronics are suffering due to low voltage and it could get expensive real quick.
Great info Laser.I have learned alot from your post's..Thanks
Old 08-30-08, 04:27 AM   #12
1FASTLASER

Thanks Bascrazie. I really enjoy helping folks get there rides inorder. That 85/hr rate at the sahop is just plain bs.
Old 09-02-08, 06:38 PM   #13
rangerryan

all right laser i need the way to ohm out the reg/rectifier please. i called a boat mechanic and he seemed to think it was the stator but he also had a british accent so im not sure he knew what he was talking about and i know that some of those mechanics just start replacing parts until it is fixed.
Old 09-03-08, 04:58 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Hopefully this will help you out bud.

Remove the rectifier wires from the terminal block. Using a ohm meter, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the rectifier base (ground), then one by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, then the red wire (some rectifiers may also have a fourth yellow/blue wire. If so connect to that also). Now, reverse the ohm meter leads and check those same wires again. You should get a reading in one direction, and none at all in the other direction.

Now, connect the black lead of the ohm meter to the red wire. One by one, connect the red lead of the ohm meter to the yellow, yellow/gray, and if present, the yellow/blue wire. Then reverse the leads, checking the wires again. Once more, you should get a reading in one direction and none in the other.

Note that the reading obtained from the red rectifier wire will be lower then what is obtained from the other wires.

Any deviation from the "Reading", "No Reading" as above indicates a faulty rectifier. Note that a rectifier will not tolerate reverse polarity. Simply touching the battery with the cables in the reverse order or hooking up a battery charger backwards will blow the diodes in the rectifier assy immediately

Next up will be the stator. Ifn ya need parts bud lemme know I can usually get em at a decent price or actually what i do is find the part, the price and then send you the link.

Last edited by 1FASTLASER; 09-03-08 at 05:08 AM.
1FASTLASER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-08, 10:57 PM   #15
rangerryan

been busy at work but i think ill try it tomorrow on monday and now i am actually hoping that it is either the rectifier or the stator because i sure dont want to try to check every wire. at least my tourny partner has a boat to use for now.
Old 09-17-08, 07:35 PM   #16
rangerryan

sorry it took so long to get back with yall but i have fixed the problem. as i had said before i had suspected that it was the voltage reg. that was the cause for my dead battery. and i did try the tests that laser had given me but the reg tested out good only it wasnt charging. but on a hunch i replaced it with a new one. fixed it real good. most everyone that i had talked to said that if my tach was acting up then it was definately the regulator but that did not happen in this case. well any way just glad to get'er going.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.