Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-08, 04:40 PM   #26
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

ahhhh the old reverse psycology trick...good luck!

i started my motorcycling on a honda, my buds rode harleys. one day my friend says "ya'll get on the fatboy and see how you like it". before i got to 5th gear the wife leaned forward and said "we've got to have one of these", and now we do. maybe your wife will appreciate the quality of something like mine did.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 04:50 PM   #27
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
before i got to 5th gear the wife leaned forward and said "we've got to have one of these"
I'm thinkin that hog generated a lot more vibration that that little honda.

Yea, I said it....somebody had to!

LOL
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 05:02 PM   #28
lowrider
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

i can't argue that one.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 06:51 PM   #29
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hey...it ain't the milwalkie viberator fer nuthin. i know i didn't spell the yankee state right also gang, lmao. who cares? hahahahahhahahahahaha.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 10:02 AM   #30
Abbeysdad

Well, after the sticker shock wore off some, the wife said "I'd like to get that boat."
!!!
Now I was just looking for much more simple fishing boat - even a glorified row boat with a small outboard tiller type motor (a true bass boat would be okay, but maybe not best suited for multi-purpose fishing, touring, swimming, tubing).

Still will probably wait for a boat show and see what deals are out there (but still thinking I want to buy local in case there are issues).

Also - have a question since I've never trailered a boat before.... I think I need a class III hitch with a 2" receiver - is that right?
Old 10-04-08, 10:28 AM   #31
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Look at Triton,skeeter,procraft fish and ski models..I have a friend with a 210 sl skeeter with a 200 and this boat does it all and in comfort.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 11:04 PM   #32
BassinBandit
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I owned a Tracker Deep V at one point it was probably smaller than what you want but it was a great boat, It had a 90HP motor and ran really good, I would tell you to look them it was a great boat for me.
Old 10-05-08, 08:04 PM   #33
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

yes on the reciever hitch pal. go to a class III, that way you can tow whatever you want in the future.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 10:54 AM   #34
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
yes on the reciever hitch pal. go to a class III, that way you can tow whatever you want in the future.
Thank-you, I thought I had it right, but doesn't hurt to ask to be sure. I found a few class III hitches made for my ride at about $150 - wiring harnesses for about $30-$50 - so expect it'll be $300 plus to have it done - sound about right?
(Towing/backing up has me a little nervous - always have a heck of a time with the lawn tractor cart! <hehe>)

I'm wondering about hulls - aluminum vs. fiberglass/composite. Someone said aluminum welds often go bad and fiberglass was more durable - I always thought of aluminum taking a rock or a tree branch better than fiberglass - thoughts out there? (understanding that the idea is not to hit anything...but for those times in shallow water with rocks 'n stuff...)
Old 10-07-08, 01:03 PM   #35
bulletbob41
BassFishin.Com Member

Hello everyone.I'm new to this site,but not to boating.abbydad my suggestion would be a boat not any bigger than 19ft and outboard power.Being new to boating 19ft won't be intimading and the outboard makes it easier to see motor direction,as far as backing up the trailer go's you will find it alot easier with the longer trailer.The longer the trailer the easier to back/up.I've owned several boats ranging from 15ft to 26ft.both inboard and outboard power.remember you can always buy bigger,but you want to make your boating exprience safe and enjoyable for your family!Good luck and happy boating BULLETBOB
bulletbob41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-08, 02:47 PM   #36
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbeysdad View Post

I'm wondering about hulls - aluminum vs. fiberglass/composite. Someone said aluminum welds often go bad and fiberglass was more durable - I always thought of aluminum taking a rock or a tree branch better than fiberglass - thoughts out there? (understanding that the idea is not to hit anything...but for those times in shallow water with rocks 'n stuff...)
Truthfully speaking fiberglass is more durable and it is quieter against rocks and timber, I personally would have a hard time going back to aluminum for my kind of fishing. That being said, if I had it to do all over again..... I would probably go with aluminum. The hulls that are built today are far superior to the aluminum hulls of yesteryear. They are also lighter (for usure over fiberglass and even over the older aluminum) making towing more economical and boating more fuel efficient (more thrust for lower horsepower). They are just as stylish as most fiberglass boats with many of the same amenities (livewells, storage., etc).
Regarding trailers, I prefer tandem axle trailers for towing and for backing. Single Axle trailers are better in a tight spot because they can be turned much easier. Tandem axle trailers do not react as quickly so it makes the novice trailer backer look a little better! lol!
Old 10-08-08, 11:55 AM   #37
Abbeysdad

Quote:
Truthfully speaking fiberglass is more durable and it is quieter against rocks and timber, I personally would have a hard time going back to aluminum for my kind of fishing. That being said, if I had it to do all over again..... I would probably go with aluminum.
you seem very conflicted.
The more the economy slumps, the more I think I have to wait - not that I want to.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.