Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-08, 09:10 PM   #1
brotherhayes
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Downsizing my boat. Fishin for advice

OK, so heres is where I am at. I had a 2000 Skeeter 176SX with a 100hp 4 stroke. I was in half with a friend and had to sell. Now I am missing being out on the water and have started to look at boats in the $3,000 to $5,000 range. I can find Trackers and the like for that price. Used and been fished out of but hey that is my budget. Here is where I have trouble. I can find a 5year old alum boat that is in nice shape but has a 25hp engine, or a 10-20 year old alum boat that has a 50hp but is not as nice and obviously older. I don't know if I will be dissapointe in a boat with a small engine or not. Has anyone purchased a 25hp engine and later said that they should have gone bigger, or the other way, anyone really happy with the smaller engine. Do you get over the slower speeds or does it bug you? Also what do people think about Duracraft boats. I don't know anything about them. Thanks for the help.
brotherhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-08, 09:29 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Well first off the size of the boat matters when you are talkin top end speed with a 25. On a ghanoe, a 25 will fly! On a tracker, no it will be kinda slow. If you style is to run and gun and you have to be on the best spot of the lake, it will bug you. If you are serious about tourneys it will bug you.

Bamabassman on here often fishes, however, without firing up the big motor at all - and hes got a sweet boat. He seems perfectly happy. So it just depends on your personality.

I would say that I would probably go with the older boat model, just cause boats havent changed THAT much in 10 years.
Old 10-04-08, 09:44 PM   #3
brotherhayes
BassFishin.Com Member

thanks for the quick reply. The boat I am looking at is a 1750 Duracraft. Any idea how fast it would be? It is a nice looking boat. I have no background on a duracraft. Are they a good design? The thing I like is that it is only a couple years old, and my plan is to get an inexpensive boat and hold on to it for years to come. Starting off with a 10-15 maybe 20 year old boat???????????
brotherhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-08, 12:02 AM   #4
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

If you don't mind taken your time then small HP will work..I fished for a couple years out of a monarch little bass with a 25 and hated it..I thought at times i could swim faster..I know folks that are very happy going slow and prefer it..Go for a ride before you buy used..Good luck
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-08, 01:27 AM   #5
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

My only suggestion would be not to rush into any decision about it. I looked for a year before I found what I was after. I did find it though. I started out looking at anything and everything in the used boat world. Heck I had a folder full of newspaper ads and such. Man it is amazing how some people treat their boats and then want a mint for them. Anyway, my best advice is take your time. Who knows maybe you will find what you want with a little bit bigger engine on it in the long run.
bhfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-08, 06:28 PM   #6
woody
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

According to the Duracraft website the 1750 has a max. HP rating of 75, and the one your talking about only has a 25, seems a bit undersized to me. Might be a problem?
If your thinking the poor performance would be an issue, I would keep looking...
There are alot of older boats out there that are as good, if not even better...

By the way "Welcome aboard!!!"
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-08, 07:58 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hey...bamabassman here, and wtl is right about me,lmao. yes i have a 20' cajun with a 200 johnson venom motor. tourney edition boat. i used to have a 14' flatbottom with a 25 tiller johnson. in my opion only now....NEVER WILL I GET A SMALL BOAT AGAIN. HAHAHAHA. just that i didn't have enough room (with just me in the boat). i didn't feel safe either. i rarely use my outboard cause i fish right where i launch. right now folks are saying i am lucky in that way. but have used the outboard and the fact that i have a 200 hp motor i can get to where i want in a very short time. now if you want to just putter around and really fish the area where you launch, the motor won't matter i think. the reason is cause you will troll instead of motoring there...right? so if you want to really get back into fishing and are even THINKING about upgrading later, i think you would be wasting your money on a smaller boat. you can get a nice 15',up to 20' footer for the money you have in your budget. just look at some of the boats posted here that folks have restored. and now that winter is coming,, this is a fantastic time to start such a project. this way you can modify the rig to the way YOU need it to be. and if you need any help or advice, well my friend, this is the ste for PLENTY of BOTH. folks here are the best at giving advice and helping others out. so good luck and hope you get the rig you need and remember to post pics,lol, we LOVE to see photos of others boats. now saying that i would never get a smaller boat again, i lied a little i guess. i WOULD like to get another aluminum boat for some smaller areas that i can't launch the beast i have. but that little lady i come home too every night would probably wring my neck,lmao. good luck and hope i helped you somehow pal. AND WELCOME TO THE HOUSE OF BAIT,BOAT MONKEY FODDER. AS WELL AS THE DISTANT COUSIN, THE RV GORILLA.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-08, 01:24 PM   #8
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

My old boat is a 17.5 Alumacraft. Boat and motor are 21 years old. Got a 40 hp Evinrude VRO, that's been tweaked to a 50hp. Boat was great to fish out of, not good on big water in rough conditions. Boat would run 25-28 mph w/ full gear and myself. Not pretty but I definately caught a lot o' fish out of her. The biggest thing I liked- I could go into way skinny water with her.
Old 10-09-08, 08:38 AM   #9
Nitro911
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Don't know where you are, but this Ranger auction closes in an hour. No bids on a 17.5 Cherokee w/60 Merc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Boats...=p4506.c0.m245
Old 10-09-08, 08:41 AM   #10
Nitro911

1987 17 1/2' WINNER Bass Boat w/150HP Mariner NICE $3500 buy it now price in OK

Old 10-09-08, 08:47 AM   #11
Nitro911

1988 19FT RANGER 390V BASS BOAT FISHING PACKAGE

Heck of a deal on this boat if you are up in NY

Old 10-09-08, 02:34 PM   #12
buddy_fuentes
BassFishin.Com Member

Darn right the 25 is slow, but stop and think of the important things.

1. dependability-if you break down on the river or on a lake, it is not easy for a friend to come and get you. I'd rather a dependable 25 than a worn-out anything.

2. Another important thing is to be on the water fishing.

3. Stay in your budget. You spend too much and then you may not be able to afford to go fishing and buy new lures or equipment.

4. The 25 is more economical to operate than a larger engine.

5. You will likely always want something better, but that time will come if you budget correctly.

Just my thoughts
Old 10-10-08, 08:56 AM   #13
Flippy
BassFishin.Com Member

i used to fish with a buddy alot on his ranger/200 black max then i bought my current 16/sunliner with a 70 tohatsu. every thing is great about boat but the first time i was beat to a whole by somebody who was 4 boats behind me at the ramp it kinda hurts your pride to get flew by but thats just me. i dont know many people that doesnt like to be full throttle ocasionally

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.