Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-09, 02:04 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default rod/reel matching?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul
...and donīt even think about sitting a Daiwa reel on a Shimano rod or viceversa...
I don't think this is a big deal, what about you guys?

what if you're favorite rod company started making reels. Then you couldn't put your favorite reel on those rods?

BB
Old 01-07-09, 08:29 PM   #2
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

He's just yankin' someone's chain.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 08:33 PM   #3
Joel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I just have to ask Raul why he made such a statement like that. I've used a Daiwa 2500 Capricorn coupled with a Shimano Clarus 6'6" M rod for years. The feel and performance is silky soomth Exactly the same smoothness I get with my Shimano 2500 Stradic paired to a Shimano 6'6" Clarus MH rod.
Old 01-07-09, 08:46 PM   #4
bamabassman

i think it is a loyalty thing. i had a garcia rod with a pinnacle reel, but cause someone here said to switch (cause of what i wuz using it for), so i switched. got lighting rods with garcia reels.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 09:25 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Raul may have been joking, but I'm not sure. I know people who think you shouldn't mix. I bought a Johnny morris signature combo during last years Spring Classic sale. Now, my viento is on the rod, and that reel is on the custom flippin' stick my dad and I made. Maybe I'll be me a ugly stik fer my new revo.

BB
Old 01-07-09, 09:40 PM   #6
Wishing2BFishing

(This statement will make Zooker hurl) . . .

I don't worry so much about matching brands but if I could, I would match colors.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-09, 09:45 PM   #7
Wishing2BFishing

Of course, most of my baitcasters are Chronach Mgs so they don't really match.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-09, 12:54 AM   #8
S4il
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I think mixing rods/reels is alright, i have a Pinnacle reel with IM6 graphite rods from wal-mart nothing wrong with those rods, sure they are a bit on the cheap end costing only 50 bucks, and the reel being 216.00 M/MH action nice tip, strong backbone, as for the Matrix Ti with 10 BB's 6 pin centrifugal breaking system, Flippin' switch and aluminum Finished body, its My "bling bling" reel with some other bells and whistles, and i only use it for throwing spinners or bigger swim baits.

To me the rod and reel combos u find in the store are "screaming" stay away from me, Esp if they have line on em already (lol) I choose a rod, and reel that fits my style of fishing, Im tall and i have long arms, and big hands, rod grip is important because of that, i like alot of cork after my reel seat, i also like it to have a nice feel in my hands, as for reel size, i like the lower profile reels, I started with a quantum ACS and stayed with that design on my matrix, now im really liking the feel of the new Quantum PT energy series, might get me one of those to go on my new All-star 7'er for My Jig, If it meets my standards on Drag tension.
Old 01-09-09, 01:01 AM   #9
bhfishman
BassFishin.Com Member

I think it is all a matter of comfort and confidence. I don't have a single reel that matches the rod maker. I use about 4 different reel makes and usually St. Croix or G. Loomis rod. I think the most important part is matching the equipment to the technique. Of course it is just an opinion. These days it's more about affordability. I would really like to have all of the same reels but Johnny is getting pretty proud of his product.
Old 01-09-09, 06:20 AM   #10
pig n jig

My Gary Yamamoto rods seem to be designed to be most comfortable with the Shimano chronarch as was used in the Yamamoto advertisement.Now I tried a variety of reel brands on it and they weren't remotely close as comfortable on the rod.Was it by design or accident ? P N J

pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.