Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-09, 03:53 PM   #1
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Braid on a baitcaster.

I've been using a baitcaster for a few weeks now. It was given to me with mono already on. I'm really a braid lover and want to spool it with braid. My question is if Kevin's backlash trick (thanks Kevin) will still work as good with braid as it has with mono. Any cons to spooling with braid on a baitcaster?
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 04:05 PM   #2
DonaldBreland

I use stren super braid on everything. When I backlash they are never too bad where I cant fix without any kind of trick. I do not use any kind of sprays or crap like that. I think we over analyze things a little to much. Save the money and buy gas for your boat or truck to go fishing. lol
Old 08-09-09, 06:33 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

personally, I hate Stren's braid, the stuff is rough as sandpaper. Sufix braid would be my suggestion.

I don't use any line conditioners on braid either. And yes, Kevin's trick does work with braid, but like donald said, I hardly ever get a backlash that I can't easily get out with braid.

BB
Old 08-09-09, 06:44 PM   #4
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks a bunch .
Old 08-09-09, 06:50 PM   #5
Bassboss

Yeah that trick works in braid, but not quite as good!

I love braid on my bait caster! Just make sure to use over 20lb, it tends to get berried into the spool a little more... because of this I tend to opt for 30-50 for all-round use!

Go with P-pro or sufix... and if you can afford it, get Daiwa Samaria braid (50 bucks per spool)
Old 08-09-09, 06:52 PM   #6
DonaldBreland

Bigbassin144 I think suffix line sucks lol. I am just kidding. I like stren super braid because of the sensitivity. I feel better about when I get hooked up because I know the strength in the line. Suffix would be my second choice. Now that being said. I do not like strens other braided lines. It has to be SUPERBRAID. Try superbraid. lol.
http://www.donaldbreland.com
Old 08-09-09, 07:00 PM   #7
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldBreland View Post
Bigbassin144 I think suffix line sucks lol. I am just kidding. I like stren super braid because of the sensitivity. I feel better about when I get hooked up because I know the strength in the line. Suffix would be my second choice. Now that being said. I do not like strens other braided lines. It has to be SUPERBRAID. Try superbraid. lol.
http://www.donaldbreland.com
IMO one braid is as sensitize as the next. It's all 0 stretch, so it's all equally sensitize. And yeah, I agree, stern is rough.
Old 08-09-09, 11:33 PM   #8
DonaldBreland

Your right about the stretch bassboss. suffix is actually my second choice of line. I do like the superbraid over their braid though. You get mor fell with braided lines and more feel means more hooked fish.
Old 08-09-09, 11:42 PM   #9
nofearengineer

Have any of you guys used Stren SONIC braid? I used sometoday, and it is very smooth...it casts very nicely, but it seems a little frail. I broke off two spinnerbaits midflight when I dug in.

The first one was at the knot. Even though I wet the palomar to cinch it, I think the braid still might have gotten damaged tying the knot. That's lame...if a braid can't even survive tying a knot.

The second one was a flat line snap. At least I saved the spiinerbait by the 10 yards if it left floating.

After that, I trolled my whole spool out and wound it on VERY tight. After that, I daresay I did not have one dig in, even with only 30lb test, and it behaved very nicely. Still worries me though to trust it with a hawg.
Old 08-10-09, 12:45 AM   #10
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I keep hearing y'all talk about snapping the line. But I have threw some humdingers with stop on the dime with a dump truck with 3/8 and 1/2 oz topwaters with the 30lb Sufix and yet to have snapped the Sufix line with a polymar knot. Is it busting at the knot or something. I got away from briad a long time ago because I was snapping the line on every hookset and backlash. Come to find out, it was the knot (Improved cinch I think). I even knocked a fish out one time by slapping her on a stump. The line snapped and the fish floated up and 15 seconds later. Something just isn't savvy though when a 30lb line breaks. And I don't blame you NFE for worrying about that hog of a lifetime. I have probably jinxed myself with this post.
Old 08-10-09, 12:51 AM   #11
DonaldBreland

I fished some the other day. I actually caught a very nice 6lb+ bass on it and I horse my fish in. I didn't have a problem. I did have a 5lber break me off on a concrete pipe though. I will say this about suffix. Its my second choice lol.
Old 08-10-09, 12:54 AM   #12
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

I am not jamming one for the other, but braid shouldn't break on a cast unless there is a defect somewhere in the line or you are throwing a 2lb swimbait.

Last edited by Bubba_Bruiser; 08-10-09 at 12:03 PM. Reason: It's braid, not briad you idiot, as Ren would say.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-09, 01:02 AM   #13
DonaldBreland

I know one thing. I do not like fire line or spider wire. Suffix and Stren make the best. I am looking for a good fluorocarbon though. any ideas
Old 08-10-09, 06:56 AM   #14
BigBassin144

donald, try the search button. there have been multiple threads recently about which fluoro's are good.

BB
Old 08-10-09, 11:59 AM   #15
woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldbreland View Post
i know one thing. I do not like fire line or spider wire. Suffix and stren make the best. I am looking for a good fluorocarbon though. Any ideas
oxymoron..

..just my 2 cents, anyways.

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-09, 12:23 PM   #16
DonaldBreland

actually its not an oxymoron. All braids are not the same. so me saying that I don't like a certain brand line but I do like this brand is not an oxymoron. All braids are not created equal. Now if your referring to the fluorocarbon piece then I like to use fluorocarbon on my spinning reels.
So please explain yourself on the oxymoron example.
Old 08-10-09, 12:24 PM   #17
MississippiBoy

Donald,
He was being tongue-in-cheek about the "good fluorocarbon" part...see how it's in bold?
Old 08-10-09, 12:33 PM   #18
DonaldBreland

silly me. I feel like a dummy. I apologize to you woody. Please except it Brother. I didnt even see the writing in bold. I guess I need to go get my eyes checked. lol. Thanks Mississippi Boy for the clarification.
Old 08-10-09, 05:17 PM   #19
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

I dont use or believe in line conditioners. I have a shimano curado on the way and wanted to put braid on it first thing. Just didnt know if the inherently limp properties of braid would take away from the backlash trick. Many thanks.
Old 08-10-09, 05:45 PM   #20
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabeachbass View Post
I dont use or believe in line conditioners. I have a shimano curado on the way and wanted to put braid on it first thing. Just didnt know if the inherently limp properties of braid would take away from the backlash trick. Many thanks.
My small experience with braid on baitcasters. While almost all of my mono backlashes have come out with only using the "trick", quite a few of my braid backlashes have required an initial "pick" just to get the first loop free. That said, braid backlashes have definitely been less severe and easier to get out of.
Old 08-10-09, 08:27 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
My small experience with braid on baitcasters. While almost all of my mono backlashes have come out with only using the "trick", quite a few of my braid backlashes have required an initial "pick" just to get the first loop free. That said, braid backlashes have definitely been less severe and easier to get out of.
Exactly what I think I was trying to say above, lol. I need to stop posting when I'm so tired

BB
Old 08-11-09, 11:45 PM   #22
southernbassguy
BassFishin.Com Member

here's just a quick tip on braid on a baitcaster. yall were talking about it sinking down in the spool if it had tension on it. Heres what you do...cast as far as you can, then take a small piece of electrical tap and put it on the spool. Then just reel it in. the tape keeps the braid from sinking down in the spool and if you get a fish on that pulls that much drag out to get to the tape, it just comes off with no harm done.
southernbassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 12:03 AM   #23
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbassguy View Post
here's just a quick tip on braid on a baitcaster. yall were talking about it sinking down in the spool if it had tension on it. Heres what you do...cast as far as you can, then take a small piece of electrical tap and put it on the spool. Then just reel it in. the tape keeps the braid from sinking down in the spool and if you get a fish on that pulls that much drag out to get to the tape, it just comes off with no harm done.
Yeah, I've heard to do that, and I've gotten close to actually doing it, but the last time I put tape on one of my reels, it threw the spool so out of balance I thought the bearings were bad. I think for now, I'm going to just be ultra vigilant on winding the spool extra tight. If I lose any more $6 spinnerbaits, I may change my mind hehe.
Old 08-12-09, 06:03 AM   #24
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you guys are living in the stone age!!!the best braid made is the new fireline braid!!!

Last edited by dodgeguy; 08-12-09 at 08:44 PM.
dodgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 07:07 AM   #25
BigBassin144

I don't know why everyone has problems with braid digging in. I use 30lb braid, and it never digs in unless I'm thumbing the spool tightly to pull at a snagged lily pad, a branch in a laydown, to uproot a tree, etc. lol.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.