Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-10, 11:02 AM   #1
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default boat is not...

getting on plane... I own a 98 Nitro 896 Savage with a 200hp Merc EFI 25p 3 blade SSprop. and recently I cleaned out everything and ran the boat empty with just me and a friend (I weigh 160, friend is 225) livewells were not filled, half tank of gas. When I filled the wells and we tried to plane out I just couldn't get the boat to do it..it took an entire minute to get it leveled up on plane... I'm guessing that this is because of all the weight I took out of the nose of the boat. I usually have 2 anchors and a bag of tubesand in the front storage. I can't believe the difference without the weight in the front of the boat...of course top speed is still fast WOT 6500RPM 68MPH GPS...I have a 6" jackplate and have the boat currently 3" below pad, I have messed around with it a lot to find the sweet spot and this seems to be it...if I go any higher i really have to watch the RPM's as last time I was hitting 8k and if I go lower I lose almost 5-8mph on the speed...any thoughts?
Old 06-17-10, 01:05 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'm still learning about bassboats myself, but this is what I know...your setup should let you get right to your redline at WOT, trimmed out, balls to the wall. If you're over-revving, something is wrong...I'm no expert by any means, but 8k seems much too high. What's the recommended max RPM for that engine?
When you hit the throttle to get on plane, are you trimmed all the way down, or is it up some? And are you leaving it down till you get on pad, or are you trimming up as you punch it? Is the bow way up in the air, or is it about like it is when you have all your usual gear in it? What's your water pressure at WOT?
Old 06-17-10, 01:56 PM   #3
rodnreel
BassFishin.Com Active Member

According to this website, http://www.piranha.com/motor_specs.php?id=2166, the max RPM is 5800. 8k is ridiculously high and I even think pushing 6500 is too high. The limiter must be disconnected on the engine to even allow you to go that high.
Old 06-17-10, 05:27 PM   #4
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Ok guys, I've been driving boats since I was 15 and sorry but the boat runs fine at 6500 WOT it loves it been going like this for years and is regularly maintained..not that I do it all the time tho. The limiter still is connected and the alarm works too..as I have witnessed go off when I was playing with the jackplate..(little too high)

Yes, whenever I take off I'm all the way down on my trim and I don't usually just punch the throttle I hit the throttle in the sweet spot until the I can feel when the boat is ready for the rest...this takes time to learn and I do it by feel... the 8000 RPM I believe is an error on the RPM gauge, but this only happened when I had the jackplate setup too high.

I guess my question is: Is it normal to have to weigh down the bow in order to get a better launch?
Old 06-17-10, 06:37 PM   #5
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
Ok guys, I've been driving boats since I was 15
Ok, I wasn't sure where to start from. I thought I was going a little too basic for you, but I figured a ground-up approach would be best.

Quote:
I guess my question is: Is it normal to have to weigh down the bow in order to get a better launch?
I wouldn't think so, no. Like I said, I'm not an expert at all, but there's no way a boat was designed to not get on plane without putting weights in it. With just you and one other guy, empty livewells, etc., I can't believe this is normal operation.
I've got no clue where to go from here, so I'll step out and let somebody with (hopefully) more knowledge take over.
Old 06-18-10, 07:54 AM   #6
Rolling Tide
BassFishin.Com Member

Are you taking on water? I have had that before. I hope you dont but you could have a leak and the back of the boat is filling up with water.

Only reason I say that is because I forgot to put the plug in one evening and never could get the boat to level off.
Rolling Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 06:18 PM   #7
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

rolling is POSSIBLY on to something here. you might have a lea some where. maybe around the drain holes? just another's 2 cents worth.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.