Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-11, 12:45 PM   #26
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

After glancing at this, my only observation is that I don't know where I would find the time to get so much expertise in fishing products. Truly, the older I get, the more disdainful I feel towards the BPS catalog mentality where the newest lures and reels and their specifications are on the tips of everyone's tongue. I say that not as a shot at anyone on this board, because some on here have a more techincal/engineering mentality and perhaps for them such specifications come naturally, but I care too much about the actual act of fishing to spend my days worrying about how my reel works.

To the original question; through trial and error, I found that my abu 1600 sx can cast the 4" senkos fine, and 3" ok depending on the rod tip. I've had that reel now for several years. I think I will keep it for another 20 or so. And if I need to throw something lighter, its gonna be spinning tackle for me.

An additional note that I would like to add. In fishing, you have the little fish which hunt down pods of baitfish. They tend to school up the bait. Then, you have the big fish who sit below the school waiting for the easy meal. When it comes to tackle, I'm a big fish. I'll wait on the hordes of dinks to test all the gear, argue needlessly about it, and then, when the picking is right, I will lazily (although cunningly) mosy on over and try the drop shot or the side scanner after it has been proven to work. And all the while, I will catch a **** load of bass doing it, without wasting my precious money on crap I dont need.

Toodles,
WTL

Last edited by WTL; 06-04-11 at 01:00 PM.
WTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 01:04 PM   #27
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

WTL, I can tell you where my knowledge comes from, it is from more than 25 years of repairing and cleaning hundreds of reels on my own, family and friends. I have also been an Airfame and Powerplant mechanic for most of my adult life.
Old 06-04-11, 01:04 PM   #28
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You're right, I am going to reply. But only because I don't appreciate when people put words in my mouth. You have your own opinions on which reels are better and technical aspects and whatever, and we can disagree all we want on that.

But then you tell me that I claimed Daiwa and Abu's designs of spool shafts are superior to Shimano's. If you'd read that again, I believe I said that I don't know which really is better, but I have more confidence in Daiwa and Abu's.

And finally, what would you like me to do on a thread such as this to not be such a "fanboy"? Recommend some product I don't believe in and wouldn't spend my money on? Because if that's what you'd like, by all means I could recommend the Curado 50E. I could say, "Well the one I felt wasn't very impressive. Frankly, it felt like **** and seemed cheap to me. But you should buy one anyways!"

I was helping the OP to make a decision on his next reel purchase; passing on the knowledge I have about the products I like. I may not have personal experience with all the reels I've talked about, but I'd NEVER recommend something I wouldn't buy. If you don't like my recommendations, there's always the ignore button, because I'm not going to stop sharing my preferences and opinions when they are asked for.

boloson, I apologize for the direction your thread went. If you'd like any more info, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you out.

BB
Old 06-04-11, 01:16 PM   #29
WTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavery5 View Post
WTL, I can tell you where my knowledge comes from, it is from more than 25 years of repairing and cleaning hundreds of reels on my own, family and friends. I have also been an Airfame and Powerplant mechanic for most of my adult life.
Tav, I was just talking about myself, which is normally what I do. Yes, I can see from 25 years that you would learn a lot of specific and detailed information, and have good reason to know it.

For the average fisherman, though, it is wasted brain cells.
Old 06-04-11, 01:21 PM   #30
Tavery5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTL View Post
Tav, I was just talking about myself, which is normally what I do. Yes, I can see from 25 years that you would learn a lot of specific and detailed information, and have good reason to know it.

For the average fisherman, though, it is wasted brain cells.

I agree, if it works for you and you enjoy it, then use it.
Old 06-04-11, 01:42 PM   #31
Tavery5

Bolson, I also appologize for taking your thread off topic, this was my fault and it should have been done through PM's with Anthony, or another thread.
Old 06-04-11, 04:27 PM   #32
Imgoodatwhatido
BassFishin.Com Active Member

This feedback from this reel is hard to ignore. I have never owned the yellow colored models, but the PRL05HC model is the one i have. It made me get rid of my spinning gear.

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/1040...ws/reviews.htm
Imgoodatwhatido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 04:28 PM   #33
boloson

do i need the newest, bestest equipment out to fish? no because i've been put to shame plenty of times by a little girl with her pink kiddie pole bought from toys r us. hell i've seen people with a piece of bread, hook, & a string catch bigger fish then me with my braided lines & gamakatsu hooks.

do i want the newest bestest equipment to fish? HELL YEAH. who doesnt?
it makes fishing that much more enjoyable then it already is.

i live for this fishing thing & i'll probably end up owning every reel made by every manufacturer out there so no need to apologize to me. we are all entitled to our opinions & that is why i started this thread....to get your opinions.

it's interesting how knowledgeable some of u are with this stuff.
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 06:21 PM   #34
BigBassin144

I've been over this thread multiple times now, and Tony, I'd like to apologize for getting upset. It was a long day and I was already pissed about something else when I read your posts.

If I have irritated you for recommending the gear I use and trust, I'm sorry. However, I won't apologize for recommending that gear. To recommend something else to not seem like a "fanboy" would be hypocritical. For the record, I am not associated in any way with Daiwa, Dobyns, or any of the other gear I use and recommend (except my jigs, obviously), and I don't get anything for recommending them or sharing my knowledge of them.

I know you feel that I am doing exactly what I condemned in my article, and I may have on occasion. But I honestly try not to. I don't (for the most part) recommend my favorite gear off topic to the subject. I've never recommended say Dobyns rods in a thread about reels (which I have seen done), and I try not to on threads about a few specific choices unless I wouldn't use any of the choices listed. But when a thread comes up asking for other recommendations, I will. I also don't exclude all other possible recommendations like my brand is the only brand. While I may prefer one brand of rod, reel, line, etc. it may not be the the only one I've used and liked and would recommend, it just happens to be my favorite. But I'll always try to include other options.

That being said, I wouldn't mind continuing our technical discussion without the personal attacks or name calling. I am always eager to learn, which is why I read a lot about whatever I'm interested in. Like you, I have a mind for facts; my parents will tell you I've had a head full of useless facts and specifics on anything I've been interested in since I was little, that's just how I am. Like Billy said, some people are, some people aren't.

While I agree that my personal experience may be a bit lacking, it's not due to not wanting to learn. There are just many times that obstacles arise, preventing me from getting personal experience with gear. Like the Pixy or Steez that are out of my price range for now, or the fact that I find the Shimano Curado uncomfortable to fish with, so I wouldn't buy one just to get hands on experience with it, its design, or its performance. For reasons like those and others, I must rely on what I see in pictures, or read about.

I'd love to get to go through all the reels you have gone through yourself, or while helping Kevin, but unfortunately I can't. I can only take apart and study my own reels, most of which are Daiwas. And while the brand wars can be fun at times like rooting for your favorite football team, it really is all pointless. Most of the time, the brand that I'm arguing against in an "X vs Y" arguments is usually my second choice to the brand I'm arguing for.

BB
Old 06-07-11, 06:31 PM   #35
Tavery5

No apology necessary, we both have differing opinions about the gear we fish, nothing wrong with that. Sometimes I let myself get a little too wrapped up in this stuff, and it should not happen. Please accept my apology as well.
Old 06-07-11, 07:30 PM   #36
lilmule

Yipes any 30 dollar reel on up will cast senkos almost,heavy bait for a worm,quatium QP 100 made without bearings(discontinued) would toss a 4 in,in short no finesse needed,or expense unless thats what you want.
Its a forum fellas keep it to subject not other posters.
They are after all opinions not all fact,but each and all have a right to their own providing no conflicts and leads to productivity.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-11, 09:22 PM   #37
Tavery5

Mule thanks for your .02, but I have to ask, did you read the entire thread? The OP at one point made the statement that he would like a reel to throw lighter baits on, hence a finesse reel. I don't mind you offering your advice on how to keep a thread on subject, but at least have the common courtesy to read the entire thread so that you yourself are on topic, you might have noticed also that apologies to bolson and both parties occured. Your input in this case was a day late and a dollar short.
Old 06-07-11, 10:08 PM   #38
lilmule

I did read it while he may desire a finesse reel it doesnt require one to cast a senko.
Most tend toward a spinning outfit when real small and wacky rigging,but again his choice.
Can also understand why the apologies.Everything thats printed here for years floats around the web,retractions,apologies are seldom read as often as the reason for.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 05:00 PM   #39
boloson

while we're on this topic how about a nice rod to go with the finesse reel? broke my shimano compre spinning rod (will warranty soon) & my other rod is a dobyns 795 swimbait rod. have a quantum bill dance series rod & baitcaster but i'm not really liking that reel...or the rod for that matter. need 1 asap since i fish every other day.... everyday if i could
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-11, 06:29 PM   #40
BigBassin144

Well Tony, here's that Dobyns recommendation you've been waiting oh so patiently for!

boloson, the only problem I see here is throwing finesse lures (like 1/16oz shaky heads, or weightless trick worms) with a finesse casting reel will require a different rod than your average "weightless" senko. It also depends on how you're fishing the senko, IMO.

For a weightless t-rigged senko, I like a 7'+ MH/F rod. I use a Dobyns Champion 733C, but will get getting a custom rod for t-rigged Senkos this summer. I like a MH because it's heavy enough to throw some of the bigger senkos and get a good hookset with a T-rigged bait.

For wacky rigged Senkos, a M rod will do fine. With the light mosquito or octopus hooks, there's not need for a rod with a lot of backbone to set the hook. I still prefer a 7'+ rod. This is a technique I don't use often, but I use a 7' M/F rod when I do.

For your light finesse stuff like weightless trick worms, small shaky heads, darter heads, even dropshotting, a 7'+ ML/F rod will work great. I haven't gotten a designated finesse set up yet, but a Dobyns DX702C (7' ML/F) would be a great choice. I don't know many ML casting rods off hand. I think St. Croic has a 6'9" ML in their LTB series. And I believe Shimano has a 7' ML in their Crucial series.

BB
Old 06-08-11, 08:06 PM   #41
Tavery5

I have to admit, he did ask for it.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.