Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-07, 08:47 PM   #1
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Summertime Bass fishing

Okay guys I need your knowledge on this.Okay this year I thought I would try my hand at trying to learn to fish deep water in the summer like deep points.....but I'm having trouble my depth finder is going out on me.It shows the depth and water temp. but the screen is showing dots and freezing up.Its from 1993 so it's old and out dated.so I have been fishing deep points with out the graph it kinda view this as a blind man throwing darts....ya never know he might just hit the board.Well in this I have gotten bites but none to the boat.
Okay what I'm asking fellow fisherman is tell me what it takes to be a good summer fisherman....this is my thoughts. You got to have great eletronics,a good topo map ( to locate roadbeds and creek channels...ect.) that's about all to me.So tell me in your order of importance of what comes first to last of being a good summer fisherman.
I thank you so very kindly in advanced for your knowledge and time.
Denny
Oh PS I plan on getting a new depth finder with GPS next spring I'm hoping to get a real nice one for about $300.00-$400.00....hopfully a sale at Bass Pro.
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-07, 09:11 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Denny, there are lot's of places to catch fish in the summer. They are not always deeper, sometimes, just in the heavy cover. But to first off answer the issue with a depth finder going out. Get a c-rig set up. Start casting to where you believe the area is you think has to have something there. Count down how long it takes for your bait to reach bottom, and drag it along to see what you might think of the bottom contour. Remember you are also trying to feel, the bottom, is it weedy, rocky, pebbles, sandy, muddy etc... Do this in the area, until you have decifered where the humps/roadbeds/bottom changes are. This will tell you what is down there and how deep. But even in the hottest weather, many big bass can be caught in the shallow heavy cover, just concentrate more on shady areas with bright sunny days. Good fishing, and take JB out fishing.

Lizards

Last edited by lizardsrule; 07-17-07 at 08:29 PM.
lizardsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 03:45 PM   #3
Denny_K

Default thanks you

Hey Lizards, thanks for you advice.Yeah I really didn't notice any thick cover on the lake. I was fishing alot of trees that fell into the water that was in about 25ft of water but no bites..I was throwing plastics (craws to worms ect.) The best places I found were on the main lake so there was a butt load of traffic.....but it was fun.I'll get better.And yes I need to take JB fishing he's been at dry dock for a while.Thanks alot Denny
Old 07-17-07, 03:49 PM   #4
JB

dry dock, but i did find a wet bar along the way lol
in between picking peas and beans, its bout time to wet a line.
Denny, we may have to hook up with todd or tony for a quick fix!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 04:21 PM   #5
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I have started fishing deeper this year also. Mainly I fish "inside out" where I put the boat on top of the break and cast out into the deeper water and drag a jig or worm uphill. This might be easier without a fish finder since, up here at least, a lot of the breaks are sharp enough to see with a good pair of sunglasses.
The only other thing I have learned so far is to try different approaches, hop a jig one time then drag it. Most of the time either dragging or just letting worms sit there is when they they pick it up. I still have not gotten into a hard, fast bite yet this year. They all seem to like it slow. I'm heading out tonight to practice some more.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-07, 05:19 PM   #6
ROBZILLA

You got to remember bass are an ambush predator. And they like to hide where they can ambush and get back in to cover, especially in the summer time. Fishing along the weed beds and rock beds,and 10 to 20 feet out from shore. parallel is your best bet. I get great results fishing this way. Don't forget top water baits near above water structure I.E Lilly pads,hydra foil.Fish will use these things for shade, they are a lot like people they need to cool off and stay in shaded areas. Another thing that works for me is trolling down shore 15 to 20 feet out using a Jig you might have to play with the level you want to fish at I usually fish half way from bottom to top.Don't forget after rain for a few days it will snap a hot spell making the water a little cooler making the fish want to eat.watch for the temp to drop in the water,this is a good time to head out. As well as night fishing the water is cooler due to no sunlight,"but" remember it takes a bass 1/2 hour after it gets dark to adjust their eyes to get their night vision. They are like people her too, if you ran from a sunny outside into a dark room how long does it take to return your vision to full sight? I bet 20 min to get total vision restored. A lot of people don't know that tid bit of information. So there you go some helpful tips that might come in handy.

Robby.
Old 07-17-07, 06:56 PM   #7
bassfisher02

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Robzilla, i've never heard the eye adjustment thing, i've always figured since the day gets darker progressively [not suddenly from light to dark] that fish would adjust accordingly with the time of day. But i'll have to take that into consideration next time i night fish.
Old 07-17-07, 07:35 PM   #8
Denny_K

Default great idea's and good story at the end.

Yeah JB the Tony and Todd's ponds q fixes might do the trick.....but Tony's my first choice.Bender,Rob and Bass...thanks so much for the info....this is a harder sport than alot of people realize...including myself.Oh Liz!!!! I had a Q-4-u On a c-rig what's a good Lb. test line to use? for strength and visibility (so I dont have to strain my eye's).I'm gonna tell you all something just because I can laff at myself. I did have a Carolina rig rigged up for the weekend.When I got on the lake I was fishing
a point where the levels dropped off....I was so excited it was a great spot.I pick up the carolina rigged rod....swing my arm back with a mighty heev-hoo and SSSSNNNAAAAAPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY S*** was my thought.Then I remembered I was only using 10 lb. test line and I had 1/2 o/z bullet weights on there with my set up.......about 10 seconds later I just laffed at myself and thought what a dumba**.....lol. Well I hope I made you smile today, I'm smiling cause I got to share this little story.
You guys get out there and slay them BASS-Tards...lol
See Ya Denny
Old 07-17-07, 08:36 PM   #9
lizardsrule

Denny the main line I use is 50lb Powerpro braid. Then Usually I will use a leader anywhere from 18"-36" of Floroclear 20lb test. Now I've always bee into heavy line, lot's of folks believe that you have to downsize, etc... I don't believe hat, but if you do, the mian line is irrelevant, just worry about the leader, since it's carrying the bait. You could use 10lb and probably get away with it. But in heavy cover, you may be retying alot.

Lizards

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.