Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-11, 03:48 PM   #1
pro reel
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Reel back from a watery grave

I got this reel in for service a few weeks ago. The customer lost it a Table Rock lake 2 years ago. he knew where he lost it and this year the water was low enough to see it. He was able to snag it and he was hopefull that I could get it back in working order. It took a minor miracle and several new parts, but it works again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	425
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	6325   Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	6326  
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 04:12 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

OMG! You are the man pal! I can't imagine salvaging that reel. I lost a Revo STX overboard with the help of a careless skieer a couple years ago. Wish I could get that back. But two years and I know it's probably toast.
Old 03-06-11, 05:36 PM   #3
boloson
BassFishin.Com Active Member

would it be cheaper to just buy another?
boloson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 05:45 PM   #4
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Great job, but personally I would not have bothered with a reel two years underwater. I'd have completely forgotten about it an moved on.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-11, 05:58 PM   #5
bassinbob

Are you still not accepting any reels for service?
Old 03-06-11, 06:20 PM   #6
pro reel

I will change the site to accepting apointments soon. The next available time is 4th week of this month. Send a PM or email if you would like to set a time to send some reels.
Old 03-06-11, 07:13 PM   #7
Bassboss

WOW! Looks like you had your work cut out for ya. Good job!
Old 03-06-11, 07:42 PM   #8
Cavs1123

I almost know for a fact that its a Quantum reel. But what model is it? Is it the old blue Tour Edition PT?
Old 03-06-11, 07:59 PM   #9
bamabassman

pro reel.....my question is this. was it worth the money to repair it? see, i have a couple of reels and am wondering if it is cost effective to repair or replace.
Old 03-06-11, 08:44 PM   #10
pro reel

Yes, it was a tour PT. They originally sold for $250.00 There was a lot of extra work involved in scrubbing all that gunk off, most of it was removed with a brush on a dremmel and then polished. I also went through several changings of the cleaning solution in the sonic tank. We went with a super tune on the reel which is $20.00, I charged an extra $10 bucks for the extra time and cleaning products. It really was more of a chalenge, I wanted to see if I could bring it back to usable condition. The main and pinion gears were ruined, the main actually cracked in two when I tried to pry it loose. Several screws needed replaced as well as some cross bars and several bearings. Thankfully, with my discount, the parts were cheap. The total bill on this reel was $66.00 plus shipping.
Old 03-06-11, 10:17 PM   #11
bamabassman

well that answers my question i do believe. lol. but what about an older reel? say......... a quantum 1310cp 3:8:1 gears, or a quatum 1310mgc 5:1:1. total over haul. there is a reason for my question. guess what i am asking is what is the maximum price it would probably be to totatly overharul these reels. or best guess.
Old 03-06-11, 11:10 PM   #12
pro reel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
well that answers my question i do believe. lol. but what about an older reel? say......... a quantum 1310cp 3:8:1 gears, or a quatum 1310mgc 5:1:1. total over haul. there is a reason for my question. guess what i am asking is what is the maximum price it would probably be to totatly overharul these reels. or best guess.
That would depend on whats available. Those reels have been out of production long enough that they may not have most of the parts anymore. I can always get bearings and parts like that, but main components can get hard to find. I do happen to have a box full of parts reels for the 1310 though. Why don't you check back with me after the spring rush slows down and I will see if I could restore those for you without breaking the bank.
Old 03-07-11, 06:47 PM   #13
bamabassman

ok pro.... but it may not be me checking with oyu. see these are some of ZOOKERS old reels. they work, but not perfectly, understand? and i am taking them to the get together to sell and give the money ot ZOOKERS mom. so i am wondering what they are worth "as is" versus restored. so whoever gets them knows what to expect. i am not going to rob anyone and don't want anyone to think i am. jsut want to stay on the up and up ok? i have some others, just that they are in a box and put away right now.
Old 03-08-11, 05:49 PM   #14
WTL

I found an old Lews reel on a speedstick once in a pond that had been drawn down. My guess was 1980s or so. I considered it a victory just to get the spool to turn.

The rod was fine, however.
Old 03-10-11, 01:03 AM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
That 1310 CP, if I am right, is the one I traded to Zooker last year for some plastics and crankbaits.
Old 03-10-11, 08:44 AM   #16
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Pro,
Same thing has happened to me, I found a quantum reel that was previously mine after about 2 years of being underwater. It looks just like that one inside, but the reel was only about 99.00 dollars new. How much does it cost for you just to take a look at it and see what the damage is?

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-11, 02:53 PM   #17
pro reel

That depends on if you want the reel back if it can't be fixed. If someone sends me a reel and I determine a price to fix it, but that price is to much, they can abandon the reel, and I will try to salvage some parts from it to pay for the time it took to tear it down and check on prices. If they want the reel back then I will bag up the parts and send it to them for $5.00 plus shipping. If they want it put back together with no repairs. then I will put it back together and send it to them for $10.00 plus shipping.
Old 03-10-11, 07:00 PM   #18
bamabassman

bubba......that is jsut 1 of the 1310's.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.