Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-07, 01:23 PM   #1
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Here come the stupid questions!

Well, went fishing this past weekend during a family camping trip. It was pretty cold, but decided to fish anyway. Did not come away with anything except questions, so if you all could help me out, I would appreciate it.

First of all, I did take your advice and fished with the stickbait with the wacky rig. Also used live wigglers and tried out a 1/8 oz rattle trap just for fun, since I have never used one before. I did not mind not catching anything, since I needed to practice casting and in general, fishing.

1. Would you guys suggest that I get a guide and go out for a half day and try to learn some basics from him while fishing? Or would I be wasting my money at this point, since I am a beginner?

2. Somebody else fishing said I needed to use 2LB line as a leader, about 2 or 3 foot of it, tie it to my swivel which is tied to my 8LB line. Is this what I should be doing? This question will show you how new I am at this sport.

Also, because I was with the family, I was fishing at all different times of the day, and probably not the ideal times for fishing. What exactly are the "ideal" times for fishing?

I am going to head to the lake in my neighborhood just to cast a few and see what happens today after work.
Twinsprtsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 03:34 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I was wondering how you did considering the arctic blast most of the country got-don't be discouraged by not catching anything. As the weather warms up fishing will get better. Everybody gets skunked from time to time-that's why they call it fishing and not catching .

Those aren't stupid questions at all-they are good ones.

Going out with a guide would be a good learning experience. If you want to go that route just tell him you are just getting started and most guides will bend over backwards to help you. There is no substitute for time on the water, and going with someone knowlegable can really accelerate your learning curve.

No need for a 2 lb leader. The 8 lb line you are using is about as light as I go for line test. 2 lb isn't much stronger than sewing thread so I wouldn't worry about that at all. Plus, the knot-regardless of what you tie-is usually the weakest link, so IMO the less knots you are dealing with the better. The only time I use a leader is on a Carolina rig or am fishing real clear water with braid. I use 50 lb braid which has a 12 lb mono diameter and use a leader of 12 lb fluorocarbon, but even then I really would prefer not using a leader.

Ideal time to fish? There is an old saying that the best time to fish in anytime you can . Seriously, though, it depends on the time of year. For example, in the colder months the best time I have found is in the mid to late afternoon after the water has had time to warm up a little. In the summer early and late-sunup and sundown-produce well, plus that time of year it is more comfortable when the sun isn't beating down on you.

You are on the right track, though-you are spending time on the water, and you will learn something new every time out. Plus, you are asking questions, and for most of us bass addicts if we aren't out fishing we'd just as soon be talking about it, so ask away!
Old 04-10-07, 03:50 PM   #3
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Reb gave you great anwsers, as always. www.bassresource.com is a great site with a ton of info. Watching some (not all) of the fishing shows can provide a ton of info. Some of the shows are more concerned with selling products and being obvious about it than they are teaching you something. Continue to ask questions.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-07, 10:28 PM   #4
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks a lot for the answers. My wife seems fine so far with the fishing bug that I caught, so I am going every chance I get. I will keep you posted on how I am doing and I am sure I will have a lot more questions. I am going to try and find someone to go in with me on a guide for Lake Lanier since it seems that the price for 2 is the same as for 1 person.
Twinsprtsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 12:25 PM   #5
BASSITUP
BassFishin.Com Member

Fishing With Roland Martin Is Awesome:d
BASSITUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-07, 12:27 PM   #6
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSITUP View Post
Roland Martin Is Awful:d
Fixed, under warranty...no charge.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-07, 05:43 PM   #7
BASSITUP
BassFishin.Com Member

:d Youre Obviously A Bassitup Hater But I Dont Care. The Only Opinion That Matters To Me Is My Own. And I Dont Care What Anyone Thinks About My Opinion Anyways.
Old 04-20-07, 06:05 PM   #8
dampeoples

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

Flyrod, you Bassitup hater, you! For shame!
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-07, 08:01 AM   #9
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Take me out to the ball game, take me out to the…
No. Wait.
That does not sound right.
"Take me out fishing with roland,
"Let him show bassitup his thing
"As flyguy states he's awful
"But then again bassitup onion...
I mean opinion don mean a thang..
“Take me out to the lake…
“Feed me gossip and shame…
“What’s up with anna nicole’s DNA…
“Is twitney spears wearing panties today…
“Give me dirt on paris and lindsay…
“Don Imus going down in flaaaaaames…
“Thanks to bassitup n flyguy and forum feuds,
“My life seems less lammmmmme!”

Ahhh, there. Much better. And, now, back to the morning cup of joe.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-07, 11:08 AM   #10
FlyRod

Quote:
:d Youre Obviously A Bassitup Hater But I Dont Care. The Only Opinion That Matters To Me Is My Own. And I Dont Care What Anyone Thinks About My Opinion Anyways.
I don't hate you, BassetHut, not at all, but, years of observing your hero, probably more years than you have been alive, have formed my opinion of him.
Besides, didst thou not notice the little green grinning guy with my post?

Warmly,

FR

PS: Ease off on the capital letters. What would your English teacher, the lovely or talented Miss Aldonza Flinch, think?
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 07:48 AM   #11
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSITUP
Roland Martin Is Awful:d
There is much hate for RM.It is well deserved.I think we should have a Roland Martin hate thread.
Old 04-25-07, 08:24 AM   #12
brushhog

We did have a hate RM thread. JB worked his magic with photoshop, I believe it is in the non-fish talk forum. By the way, I don't know enough to hate RM ,I just know I like a lot of other guys better!
brushhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 05:54 PM   #13
BASSITUP
BassFishin.Com Member

Wink

I Quit Fishing Today
Old 04-26-07, 07:10 PM   #14
senko

Quote:
I Quit Fishing Today
hey man you need to apoligize cause ive seen on at least one other thread you takin it out on everyone when we are just tryin to help. thats what we are here for TO HELP and talk about bass fishing not to be tryin to get an ungrateful kid in a bad mood. remember an opinion IS NOT a fact so what ever these guys say on here about your idol is just their opinion.
and if you are going to quit fishing over that you shouldnt have started in the first place...
Old 05-02-07, 04:02 PM   #15
BASSITUP
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry Dudes. Im Good Now I Took My Meds. ive had some back probs. the steroid shots in my bulging disks made my temper flare like a hemmorhoid at a musical chairs convention. sorry
Old 05-02-07, 06:52 PM   #16
Bo Dale James Jr.

Twinner you definitely do not want to use 2 lb leader even a small trout in a small stream can break line that small. Bass don't seem to shy away from larger line like fish in clear water streams.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.