Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-07, 08:55 AM   #1
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Drop shot set up question

Hello all,
I wanted to try and use the drop shot method in some shallow areas and had a question......I have tried to rig and set up a hook for a drop shot but it seems like when I put the weight of a worm on it, it makes the hook go vertical, and I am assuming I would want it to stay horizontal, so jaws can come and get it. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong? Or, is it supposed to be that way until it is in the water?

I used the guide that is on here for it, and I think I am tying the Palomar knot correctly (but maybe not), and I am running the tag line thru the hook at the end. Without weight, it looks like the picture in the diagram.

I have tried it several times with the same results. I even went to Dick's to see if they had those drop shot hooks that are already set up, but they did not. Thanks!
Twinsprtsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 09:25 AM   #2
mymomisbecky
BassFishin.Com Active Member

try the stand out hooks. they have always worked for me.
http://www.standouthooks.com/

here is another tip. use one of those foam rolls and make up about 10 different drop shot rigs. with varying lengths. attach a swivel at the top, then you can just connect each with a snap. makes altering depths very very easy. I switch a lot
mymomisbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 10:11 AM   #3
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks, I looked for those yesterday as well. I am going to hit Sports Authority to see if they have them during lunch today. If not, I am going to have to find a tackle shop.
Old 04-27-07, 11:01 AM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Twin-you are doing it right. The hook often looks vertical when out of the water. As long as the hook points up you are good to go.
Old 04-27-07, 03:18 PM   #5
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks, I am going to give it a shot tomorrow morning.
Old 04-27-07, 03:27 PM   #6
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

I don't use the drop shot method in shallow water so I can't help you there, but I will suggest you to check into the "Split Shot" rig when fishing shallow, I find that works much better for me. When fishing in less than 12 feet of water, use spinning gear with 8# test....what a blast...Just a thought.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 04:18 PM   #7
WallStreetAmigo

I've had some early season success this year using the drop shot in both deep and shallow water, and mine always looks vertical too when it's out of the water. Since I'm really getting into using it for all kinds of fish, I want to get some of the standout hooks too. Good luck finding them up where I live.....lol
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 04:28 PM   #8
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Another variation I have heard called a "Bubba Shot"-heavy line, heavy weight-occasionally using a jig-n-pig-and a T-rigged worm on a 2/0 or 3/0 hook. I haven't done it, but it makes sense.
Old 04-29-07, 02:49 AM   #9
WallStreetAmigo

The great thing about fishing is that you can try anything. I caught a few rainbow trout yesterday dropshotting a wooly bugger fly that my buddy gave me. I have never even heard of anyone ever trying dropshotting with a fly, but I figured because of the area of river I was fishing and the weather conditions and temperature, the trout would likely be relatively shallow and cruising. However, the problem with the current was how to I keep the lure/fly in the strike zone long enough to get the finicky fish to attack it? Since lures and bait rarely work well in this particular river because of fishing pressure and the fish taking better to flies, I thought I would try to logic out another technique that these fish had never seen.
WallStreetAmigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 08:31 AM   #10
Twinsprtsfan
BassFishin.Com Member

Still have not found the standout hooks, but found a drop shot rig at Walmart and it was only $1.12, so I am going to try it out. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-06-07, 03:48 AM   #11
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetAmigo View Post
The great thing about fishing is that you can try anything. I caught a few rainbow trout yesterday dropshotting a wooly bugger fly that my buddy gave me. I have never even heard of anyone ever trying dropshotting with a fly, but I figured because of the area of river I was fishing and the weather conditions and temperature, the trout would likely be relatively shallow and cruising. However, the problem with the current was how to I keep the lure/fly in the strike zone long enough to get the finicky fish to attack it? Since lures and bait rarely work well in this particular river because of fishing pressure and the fish taking better to flies, I thought I would try to logic out another technique that these fish had never seen.
Right on! I too have caught trout on the DS rig with the intent to catch them (as opposed to catching it by accident), but the coolest catch came when a buddy and I nailed pink salmon on the DS. As you know, pink salmon like anything pink. We nailed them with a drop shotted pink worm!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.