Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-07, 06:11 PM   #1
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Basic equipment question.

Hi everybody...first time poster, but I have been lurking for a while, learning much from the old hands...zooker, reb, etc...

My question is, in general, what length/weight/action rod is best for all-around bass fishing? I'll be throwing everything, pretty much-plastics, spinners, topwater, cranks- and in all kinds of situations-lily pads, tree stumps, deep open water-but I don't have the $$$ for a specific rod and reel for each type of lure or water situation. That also means that I don't have the $$$ for a $700 rod, so keep it cheap, please. I use an old Abu Garcia baitcasting reel, not sure what specific model.

Thanks, guys (gals?). Any advice or helpful links would be greatly appreciated.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 06:31 PM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

Glad you joined. IMO a 6-6 medium heavy rod is the best all around for bass fishing. That will allow you to fish just about every application. There are some good rods out there that aren't real expensive. The one that comes to mind is a Berkley Lightning Rod. I've used them in the past and have never been disappointed.
Old 05-17-07, 06:44 PM   #3
zooker

yep berkley are decent rods for the price..think they are $29.99 or so at walmart..

zooker
Old 05-18-07, 12:18 AM   #4
pbruessow@msn.com
BassFishin.Com Member

Wink

I bought a couple lightning rods last year but they are not the same rod as in the late 80's, early 90's and I wish I didn't waste my money. They are too flimsy. You won't have to spend $700, but get an All Star or even Bass Pro Shops Bionic Blade (I've got 2 left that are over ten years old) for under $100. They are much more sensitive to strikes and have a nice backbone when you set the hook.

I do have one old Lightning rod left 22 years old and still strong 7-6 flippin stick. Still catching big uns on it too!

For reels, been through many of them. The best for the money right now are the Ambassadeurs. I like the C series with magnetic backlash control. Pretty smooth and very rugged! Hope this helps!
Old 05-18-07, 01:46 AM   #5
islandbass

Even berkely's cherrywood series is alright just to get started. I bought one on a whim as it was on sale for only $15.00 and for such a low end rod, I was amazed and quite surprised at how sensitive the rod was for this price point. They seem lighter than the MH Lightning rod which I also have and bought for $9.99 on close out at Walmart.

I would agree with Reb's rec on the power for a good all around rod for bass fishing.

Welcome!!
Old 05-18-07, 09:17 AM   #6
leroy
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to leroy

You have an Academy Sports about 1 Mile from you. Academy usually has some Tournament Choice Rods for 39.99 that are made by Allstar for Academy. They are exactly the same as the IM6 Rods Allstar sells for 10$ more. But the guys above are right for almost every application a 6 and 1/2 foot Medium Heavy (Usually called a WR1) is the best for everything. Then there are plenty of reels at every price range, Abu Garcias are great, they have a few Pinnacles for good prices and I have bought a few and had no problems.
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 09:53 AM   #7
mont_lunker_hunter

I agree with the 6'6" rod, but honestly i've come to prefer a 7 footer. With a longer rod, you can tend to hop worms too far, work top waters too fast, ect. but that can be solved by the fisherman...the extra 6" though comes in handy when fishing wood, lilly pads, or deep water (lot of line out means more stretch) as MS boy said he would be doing. I guess what i'm sayin is that you can learn to use a 7' rod, but you can't add 6" to a 6'6".
mont_lunker_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 10:06 AM   #8
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroy View Post
You have an Academy Sports about 1 Mile from you. Academy usually has some Tournament Choice Rods for 39.99 that are made by Allstar for Academy. They are exactly the same as the IM6 Rods Allstar sells for 10$ more. But the guys above are right for almost every application a 6 and 1/2 foot Medium Heavy (Usually called a WR1) is the best for everything. Then there are plenty of reels at every price range, Abu Garcias are great, they have a few Pinnacles for good prices and I have bought a few and had no problems.
How do you know where I live!?!?!? I guess big brother is watching, huh?
Thanks for the advice, guys. I might be headed out this weekend to let the bass get a chance to laugh at me again. Anybody know where I can get some TNT?
Old 05-18-07, 12:51 PM   #9
Rebbasser

Quote:
How do you know where I live!?!?!?
Your profile
Old 05-18-07, 02:08 PM   #10
BASSITUP
BassFishin.Com Member

Inner Cast Man!!!!! J/k
Old 05-18-07, 02:14 PM   #11
leroy

Send a message via AIM to leroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
How do you know where I live!?!?!? I guess big brother is watching, huh?
Thanks for the advice, guys. I might be headed out this weekend to let the bass get a chance to laugh at me again. Anybody know where I can get some TNT?
It says by your name what city you live in...I figured out the Zip Code and searched the Academy website. Sorry if I freaked you out. but dude your mom is hawt!!! (j/k I dont really watch you drive out of the driveway while Im nude in the bushes of that tan house with the black shutters across the street...)
leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 02:44 PM   #12
MississippiBoy

Quote:
It says by your name what city you live in...I figured out the Zip Code and searched the Academy website. Sorry if I freaked you out. but dude your mom is hawt!!! (j/k I dont really watch you drive out of the driveway while Im nude in the bushes of that tan house with the black shutters across the street...)
Ok, just for the sake of my dignity, I was joking when I asked how you knew where I lived.

I will now take my dignity home and put my hands on my deer rifle... Leroy, the last thing you will see through your binoculars is a bright red flash. Enjoy the view.
Old 05-22-07, 04:40 PM   #13
OUTLAW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASSITUP View Post
Inner Cast Man!!!!! J/k
OH NO, Not again,Where is my medication
Old 05-22-07, 05:45 PM   #14
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
Ok, just for the sake of my dignity, I was joking when I asked how you knew where I lived.
Quote:

you two hick rednecks just aint right..

leroy i will take up on the addy of that hawt red headed chick you've been seein...

zooker
Old 05-22-07, 06:28 PM   #15
MississippiBoy

Great, thanks for all the advice, everybody. This'll give me a good idea what to look for when I decide to upgrade. That's not to say I'll do any better than I've been doing, but then, I haven't been fishing this reservoir for very long, I just need to figure out where they are...

*repeats to self over and over and over.........feels a little better...*

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.