Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-07, 11:04 AM   #1
rook
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Chatter Frogs

Hey Guys,

I am relatively new to the sport. I've always been a salt water guy, but recently moving to Florida (all the lakes and fresh water) and my 12 and 11 year old boys full of energy have driven me to try out this sport and now I'm HOOKED!!! I'm really open to suggestion and any tips. I fish this small lake which is full of 3 pounders and up. My boys to be honest have been a little luckier than I have. Which takes me to my question about the chatter frog.
wanting to out do my boys I bought this chatter frog, but I don't have a clue if it works or not or if I not using it correctly. If I'm wasting my time with this chatter thing please let me know and please give me some advice.

Thanks Rook.
rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 11:10 AM   #2
dampeoples
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to dampeoples

There's no magic lure!!

In my mind, the chatterbait is a good grass bait, for a little something different than a spinnerbait, other than that, well, I dunno, not done well on it at all in other places, and I feel the spinnerbait is more versatile.

If you want to outdo them, I suggest saturating areas with a texas rig curly tail 6" worm, beat 'em with patience.
dampeoples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 11:18 AM   #3
rook
BassFishin.Com Member

Preciatte it. Point taken on the patience.
rook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 12:32 PM   #4
ToPwAt'R GuY
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I haven't had much luck on chatterbaits. The only success has been jigging them around structure. In my opinion two baits that are really easy to fish and are consistant are roostertails and texas rigged worms. Give em a try.
ToPwAt'R GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 06:20 PM   #5
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Welcome to the forum!

I've caught a few on one. I pretty much fish it like a spinnerbait-just chunk and wind.
Old 06-01-07, 12:17 AM   #6
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I started using chatterbaits this spring and had great results. I was impressed enough to go out and buy a few more. I vary my retrieve, speeding up and slowing down, but my best success is usually a slower retrieve worked around and near cover. I have most of my luck near cover as it works like a combination spinnerbait and jig. But I will say this. For some reason, as spring has passed and summer in knocking on the door step, I have been having more luck with spinnerbaits than with a chatterbait. I am guessing that this is because a chatterbait worked slow when the water is cold, as in early spring can be killer. But now that the water is considerably warmer, the bass are more agressive, and the action and flash of the blades of a spinnerbait calls in more attention than a chatterbait right now. Also, a spinnerbait is more weedless than chatterbaits without weedguards. So I can work a spinnerbait in close to laydowns and heavier weeds. I lost a few chatterbaits around laydowns this spring that I know a spinnerbait would have made through just fine.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.