Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-09, 10:12 AM   #1
damian2b
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Snakehead Idea/Thought

Hi Everyone,

So reading through the posts today I started thinking about the Snakehead issue that has plagued the Potomac and was curious if there are any tournaments for snakeheads? Seeing is how they are an evasive species and we are told to kill them on site why not hold a tourny where this species is targeted? I mean catchem, killem, bringem in and weighem like a bass tournament only then use them as food or donate the caught fish to the needy. Thoughts/ ideas (or am I behind and this is already being done?)
Old 09-30-09, 06:48 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Thats a good idea Dan. Only problem I see is who is going to sponser such a tourey? Won't be PETA for sure. But I do like that idea.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 09:56 PM   #3
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

I think the fishing would be similar to and they put up one hell of a fight
Old 10-01-09, 09:25 AM   #4
damian2b

Yea I guess the sponsoring would be the issue. PETA...honestly don't even get me started. People eat tasty animals and from what I'm hearing the snakehead is pretty tasty. ;-D I mean the Potomac is a hot bed for bass fishing, and the snakehead poses a threat to the bass, who better than to help eradicate (i know i know...eradicating them totally is probably unlikely....but at least help with population control) the evasive species than a group fo the best fisherman in the world a couple times a year? If i was a sponsor I'd consider it, (heck if i had that kinda money I consider a lot of things lol)
Old 10-01-09, 11:43 PM   #5
Bender
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In western Michigan a radio stations sponsors a goby fishing tournament. I know that they don't make a dent in the population but at least they are trying to get rid of some of them.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 06:50 PM   #6
WTL

Am I alone in thinking that the introduction of snakeheads might have been a good thing?

Think about it. As bass fishing progresses, there will be more fishermen and bass will be under pressure.

But if the snakehead turns out to be a fun to catch, tasty alternative that is unprotected by bag limits, then bass might not bear the brunt of that fishing (and especially harvesting) pressure.
Old 10-02-09, 08:14 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Haha....you're probably alone.

But I think they should be enjoyed as long as they're here. If you can't beat em...eat em.
Old 10-05-09, 09:12 AM   #8
bassboogieman

You're alone. The snakehead is a non-native invasive species with a voracious appetite. Yes, they slam a bait and fight hard, but like a member of the pike species - they have teeth, lip one and bleed. They can break you off using regular "bass" tackle, so you don't always get them in the boat. They are catching some in the Potomac exceeding 8 pounds, and that's one NASTY fish. They do closely resemble the bowfin, a native fish, but should you catch a snakehead, PLEASE take it home for dinner or kill it and let the Eagles or Osprey have an easy meal. DO NOT release this fish alive.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-09, 03:18 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

Ok I held a snakehead tourny five years ago, 23 anglers and none where caught. The major issue with holding a snakehead tourny is targeting them. They are an incidental catch while fishing for LGMouth. Very hard to target them and not catch LGMouth.

But in all the shocking and disecting them none have been found with LGMouth in them. They may turn out to be a blessing.

Capt Mike
Old 10-08-09, 06:10 PM   #10
3dkicker

Run one of those tournaments next month Capt and I'll put you on a couple limits of 'em. Seems they school up in early November in a VA creek that I know of.

Like the captain said they are incidental catches. I've only caught a few the past couple years so they are rare to catch but a partner of mine did catch one over 8lbs. They fight exactly like bowfin which makes them a lot of fun to catch and they do taste very good.
Old 10-08-09, 09:17 PM   #11
dave

Maybe a visit is needed?
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-09, 04:22 PM   #12
3dkicker

I might make a run next week and check it out. Normally when the temps drop the stack up in this area due to some warm water run off. Two years ago they were in there thick. Last year not as well but a couple were lurking in the area.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.