Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-12, 09:55 PM   #1
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Odd Temp Change Before Spawn

The water temperature has risen dramatically within the last week and a half (from in the low 40's to the low 60's), and I have been out on the water every single day since Monday (12th). I have been really tearing it up with a red super spot lipless bait. My question is simple: If there was not a gradual rise in water temperature, how long will it be until they start spawning? I assume that they need some time to fatten up, because there has been no real gradual 'prespawn' phase. How long does that period ususlly last? I have been on the lookout for bass beds, but haven't found any so far. It's been either rainy, cloudy, or windy for the last two days. The wind has been up since Wednesday (out of the south), and air temp is around 65 for the last week. Should I be getting ready? Also, I plan to go fishing tomarrow. It will be cloudy and windy (most likely out of the south) and in the mid 60's. The water is stained, and in the upper 50's. My small 23 acre lake has many 'flats' areas on all sides except for by the dam. My favorite spot is by the cove on the southwest side where it turns into the main lake. I know that they bed there sometimes. I have also seen beds on the entire north side last year. What should I tie on? I plan to use my trusty Rayburn Red Super Spot, a Fat Free Guppy, a Big Bite Squirrel Tail worm, a 3/8 oz brown jig, a watermellon 3" tube, and a Tightlines UV Hog. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	7750  
bassfishkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 12:16 AM   #2
oglejust
BassFishin.Com Active Member

water temp here has been low 60s, was 65 tonight, caught some chunkers that were for sure full of eggs.. no sign of spawning yet but the big ones were caught on the same small flat at the north end of the lake. gettin a good spinnerbait bite
oglejust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 02:23 AM   #3
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BFK-I don't know how Kansas bass might react to the sudden temp change but I can share what's happening here in SC.
On 2-29 Lake Tacklebuster a 35 acre-stained-w/lots of shallow flats was already at 58 deg in the pm (no visible beds)---by 3-12 am temps were 62 rising to 64+ in pm and beds were everywhere. {4 deg rise in 12 days}

On 3-8 Lake Abyss a 50 acre-clear as tap-water-with an average depth of 25+ and very little shallow water was 58 deg in pm (again no visible beds) and by 3-15 was 62 am--64+ pm and hot-active beds galore. {4 deg rise in 7 days}.

I think the water temps are over-riding whatever daylight lengths and moon phase and body mass issues that might be optimum or "normal".(( I won't hesitate to copulate at high noon on an empty stomach even though I prefer midnight after a light snack))
When your water temps stay in the low to mid 60's for just 2-3 days....go get um.

As far as what to throw what you're doing seems to be working for you, and everyones definition of stained varies (remind me to start a thread about Secchi disk readings soon), but if you can see beds look for the females to be close by. I prefer to target the big ones with 6 or even 7" weightless type senko or Trick worm, either TR or wacky depending on cover. The baits you listed are some classic pre-spawn types and it seems to me that once they are in the actual "act" of doing it....slower/subtler is better.

**Lake names changed to protect the innocent**
***good to see a fellow enthusiast out there chasing the dream-I've only missed one day since 3-9!! the only reason I'm up this late reading posts is cause I've got a hot trip at 5am and can't sleep!***
****GO GET YOU SOME****

Last edited by kennethdaysale; 03-20-12 at 02:42 AM.
kennethdaysale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-12, 05:21 PM   #4
MallenManson
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennethdaysale View Post
BFK-I don't know how Kansas bass might react to the sudden temp change but I can share what's happening here in SC.
On 2-29 Lake Tacklebuster a 35 acre-stained-w/lots of shallow flats was already at 58 deg in the pm (no visible beds)---by 3-12 am temps were 62 rising to 64+ in pm and beds were everywhere. {4 deg rise in 12 days}

On 3-8 Lake Abyss a 50 acre-clear as tap-water-with an average depth of 25+ and very little shallow water was 58 deg in pm (again no visible beds) and by 3-15 was 62 am--64+ pm and hot-active beds galore. {4 deg rise in 7 days}.

I think the water temps are over-riding whatever daylight lengths and moon phase and body mass issues that might be optimum or "normal".(( I won't hesitate to copulate at high noon on an empty stomach even though I prefer midnight after a light snack))
When your water temps stay in the low to mid 60's for just 2-3 days....go get um.

As far as what to throw what you're doing seems to be working for you, and everyones definition of stained varies (remind me to start a thread about Secchi disk readings soon), but if you can see beds look for the females to be close by. I prefer to target the big ones with 6 or even 7" weightless type senko or Trick worm, either TR or wacky depending on cover. The baits you listed are some classic pre-spawn types and it seems to me that once they are in the actual "act" of doing it....slower/subtler is better.

**Lake names changed to protect the innocent**
***good to see a fellow enthusiast out there chasing the dream-I've only missed one day since 3-9!! the only reason I'm up this late reading posts is cause I've got a hot trip at 5am and can't sleep!***
****GO GET YOU SOME****
Instant classic right there!
Haven't seen any bass bedding yet, but did see it from Pike this past weekend, with water temps of 54 degrees
Old 03-20-12, 06:25 PM   #5
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the advice! I am starting to get kind of worried because it has been rainy for the last three days, and I haven't gone out since Sunday because of the wind. My 12' jonboat and 45 lb trolling motor don't do too well in strong wind and chop on the lake. I'm looking out of my window at whitecaps on the lake! Do bass spawn during rainy days? I don't know the current water temp, but the outside temp is 62, and I imagine that the water temp is in the mid 50's right now. Should I wait to go out until after the rain? I imagine that they'll start making beds the first day after the rain. This is my first year that I've really tried to catch the spawn. What should I know? Thanks, BFK
Old 03-20-12, 10:00 PM   #6
kennethdaysale
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Unless the rain is much colder than the lake or really clouding up the water I wouldn't worry. Otherwise rain is only a factor in your mind. Other than the drive to eat, procreation is hardwired into those fish and they will make every effort to spawn in spite of rain or wind.
Since you seem to live on your lake and have abundant time, I suggest you begin keeping a simple log of your fishing trips and observations/results. I have been tracking local water temps/trends-barometric pressures-moon phases-hot lures/techniques etc etc for years and find this information invaluable as I put together a game plan for the day/week/month...
You should know that there is no substitute for time spent on the water. Remember that the whole spawning process only lasts a short time, learn as much as you can about how and where and when your local fish go about it, and you'll be ahead of the curve next year. The summer period is right around the corner and is much longer and usually easier to get a handle on. Write it all down...take pics....study it.
Old 03-21-12, 10:52 AM   #7
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

That's great advice, Ken. I have actually already started a log like that and have been updating it since January. I also realized that it would really help me understand the lake if I documented my trips. I'll get back to you either today or tomarrow, because I am most likely going to go out on the lake today. I really hopw to see those beds up in the shallows, because the water level has risen about 8" on the last four days. Thanks to everybody!
Old 03-22-12, 11:07 PM   #8
bassfishkansas
BassFishin.Com Member

Ok, I woke up early and got out on the lake around 6:30 with a friend. The water was up about 8" and was murky. The lake was really cool looking; there was fog rising up all over, and the water was impossibly still. I caught a fish on the first cast with a super spook jr. and another on the next cast. My friend was catching a ton on a dark red super spot. We moved out by the flats at around 8:15, and I caught a few 18"+ bass on a 10" tequilla shad culprit worm and a drop shot worm. It was very fun, but the water was too murky to tell if they were on the beds. I was really hoping to do some sight fishing, but today was still fun. It ended up raining later on in the day, so we were lucky to squeeze some fishing in. I'm still looking foreward to seeing that whole shoreline full of bass beds. I'll keep on updating; thanks again for the help. BFK

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.