Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-07, 03:51 AM   #1
FlyRod
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Thumbs up Canyon Lake...again...but special!

I have this friend (We'll call him "Steve". Well, whaddya expect? That's his NAME!) He's very recently bought a used bassboat...a very large one.
When we met, Steve asked me to teach him to bass fish, and Reb cheerfully joined in the effort.
So, yesterday, we launched Reb's boat, then Steve's, on Canyon Lake, pre-dawn. Reb moseyed off in one direction, Steve and I in another.
We quit at 1300 hrs, having enjoyed a cool day of clouds, occasional rain squalls, and darned few lake lice.
I spent much of my time coaching re boat handling, lure selection, rigging, cast placement, and retrieval techniques and it was all effort well-expended. Steve caught three bass in total, and missed several others. He was delighted and so was I. His FIRST bass was a keeper, caught on a 4" Dead Ringer in Green Pumpkin, rigged on one of my rods.
Steve, when he was on the TM, demonstrated good boat-handling skills and a high regard for his baskseater's wellbeing. He will be a delight to fish with in future.
He was attentive to suggestions and actually TOOK ADVICE!
The only downside to the day was the difficulty encountered in loading Steve's boat (ZX250 Skeeter, how's THAT for a first boat?) post-fishing. Ramp selection will be crucial in future.
With Reb's willing assistance we managed, however, and the day was declared a success.
I even managed to sneak up on five basses asses myself; One on a Pop R' I had modified, one on a 4" T-rigged weightless Tiki Stik, and three on 6" ZOOM U-tail in Smokin'/Blue. Not many fish, to be sure, but part of an overall fine experience. Oh, also caught a honkin' big sunfish on the Pop R'
Sadly, this is the last day of classes for schools in our area, so time spent on Canyon will be limited indeed, save, perhaps, for night fishing or during weather that might scare the lake lice off the water.
That is all.

FlyRod
Head Coach and Equipment Manager
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 10:18 AM   #2
Denny_K
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default very very nice

Hey Flyrod,I love hearing when people do nice things,thats awesome and your friend Steve will never forget that day as long as he lives.Not many guys/people would do such a thing.By the way congrat on the catches and the hungery sunfish thanks for the smile and enjoy your day.
Denny
Denny_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-07, 09:04 PM   #3
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

lake lice noun. Pejorative name given to motorized personal watercraft, such as Jet Skis and SeaDoos.
Attached Images

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.