Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-07, 03:14 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Take a Parent Fishing

I know that many of us enjoy taking kids, ours or not fishing, but I had the tables turned around today. My father is in town and I took him fishing.

Quarry: Smallmouth Bass

My father has never fished for bass and after my first encounter with smallmouth bass just one week ago today (Friday, 05-25), I figured it would be so cool to have his first attempt to catch a bass be a smallmouth.

First field test of my rod quiver. The ability to hold three rods with one hand is a good thing! It works very well.

We got to the lake at about 1:30 pm.

I offered my dad the use of my primary rig, a Lamiglas Certified Pro Drop Shot Special rod mated to a size 20 Rapala Sxi6 spooled with 6# Seaguar Invizx Fluorocarbon line, but he declined and opted to go with the rig I used last week, a 7’ medium action Cherrywood rod mated to a 2500 Shimano Symetre spooled with 8# Rapala Finesse line.

The method of choice was the drop shot. He chose to go with a 4” Aaron’s Magic Roboworm and I went with a Dark Brown Sniper Snub that I am guessing is about 3” in length. We also employed CB’s Hawg Sauce. It was my first time using it for bass fishing.

After I got him set up I proceeded to get my rig ready. Not even a couple minutes into it, I hook into a smallie. For some reason, the kid in me came out and I said with excitement, “Dad!! I got one!!!”

That got him fired up as he scrambled to grab his camera.

The smallie did not disappoint and put up a good fight.

I was hoping and praying that he would catch at least one and my prayer was answered. About five minutes later, my dad hooks into his first one. I was stoked! Not telling him anything about smallmouth bass, the first comment he made was about the amount of fight that the fish had. I smiled and told him that is why we are targeting them.

My dad with his first bass and it’s a smallmouth!! To me, his smile is priceless. Go dad!

Nailing these two fish quickly seemed to turn of the bite for the next hour. This was a hint and a half to change baits so I did. I noticed a change in the light and shade and that the water where light and shadow met was more green than clear. I switched to a green colored Sniper Snub and worked line between the shade and light. My dad decided to try the same bait.

I don’t know what was wrong with me but I missed the next 5 strikes. I figure it was just the adrenaline and excitement that made me pull the bait away from them, but eventually I land my second and third fish. They were about the same size as the first one.

Finally my dad called me to watch his rod tip and it kept twitching downward. Then he says, “I got it! It’s a good one!!”

I reel up my line, grab the camera and then, much to our surprise; we could not believe what was at the end of the line. Take a look for yourself.

This tiny smallie was just a bit bigger than the Sniper Snub!

We started laughing. He was amazed once again about the amount of fight this little dude had in him.

Unfortunately, our time was up and I had to pick up my little girl from school. We had a great time. This was a rare and precious father and son time that I will not forget. I do not think he will either. He wants to go again tomorrow, but it will most likely be at Coulon Park or Steel Lake for largemouth and trout.

So the tally:

Father: 2 caught and landed, 2 missed
Son: 3 caught and landed and an embarrassing 5 missed opportunities, pulling it away too soon.

Conditions:
75 deg F
Sunny, blue skies, scattered high clouds

I must comment about CB’s hawg sauce (garlic). This stuff rocks!! It effectiveness speaks for itself and it was used to land all fish except one. If you haven’t used it yet, get a hold of some. If it works in the Pacific Northwest, it will work anywhere. Thanks, CB!!!

-ib
Old 05-26-07, 08:33 AM   #2
crankybait

Looks like a great time, nice job taking your dad! Thanks for the report and pics.
PS- that smallie looks like the one JB won the tourney with!
Old 05-26-07, 09:27 PM   #3
brushhog

Awesome day... nothing beats family and fishing!
Old 05-30-07, 09:28 PM   #4
noboatyet
BassFishin.Com Member

I took my 94 yr old grand dad fishing last year. He cried, because hes been living in Tampa and we've not had alot of time to fish (he loves to fish) Use to fish crystal river all the time with him. He taught me most of what I know. I was tying fishing knots before I was tying my shoes.

We had a blast and we stayed out most the day. Lota fun
noboatyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-07, 12:37 PM   #5
dave
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Dad

Started taking my dad fishing with me last year. Like fishing with a 65 yr. old 8 yr. old. (cating, throwing crazy lure creations) Last Saturday on the Potomac River, I caught 23, he caught 3. It didn't matter to him. He just likes going. He has become my favorite partner because he just likes to be out there fishing and is easy to please. (He is getting to where he would prefer not to get skunked though)
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-07, 03:28 PM   #6
Plugger
BassFishin.Com Member

My dad was never really into fishing. My grandfather always took me fishing. He taught me a lot. Later in his years I was the one that took him fishing. Those are memories that I will never forget! About 3 years ago I had the oportunity to take my 4 year old son fishing. He caught his first fish on the same dock that I caught my first fish when I was his age.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.