Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-09, 03:11 PM   #1
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Angry Stuck fishing with "that guy"

So I had a tournament this weekend with a partner I had drawn from the club. Even though there had been a few comments about tough luck on drawing of my partner, I wasn't too worried. He and I had made our arrangements to prefish and discussed tourney plans. The pre fish day was fine. We found locations that would work to each other's strengths and discussed colors, depths, and the fish in general. I was feeling pretty good about the draw going into the tourney.
The day of the tourney, everything changed. He was very skilled with the boat positioning and made it a point to place the boat where he had a definite advantage. We had planned to work one point fairly heavy, concentrating on a depth of 30 foot. He ended up putting the boat in the 15 foot water and pointing the nose at the point. My only chance to fish according to the plan would have been to cast over one of his shoulders. I ended up flipping into the trees instead. After I hooked up to a decent 2lbs fish in the trees, he immediately rotated the boat 180 degree so that I could no longer pitch into them.
While I was frustrated with this, I did not get pissed until later.
We had agreed to hit a frog spot around noon. During prefishing, this spot had generated two fish and countless blowups. (I have a couple of frogs without hooks that I use for prefishing)
As we move into the brush filled cove, he literally pus the back of the boat into the trees. I ended up with an area of about 4 foot where I could pitch into open water. I commented on this, asking him if he could get me off of the trees a little bit. His comment, was that he that position for a kicker because he knew that he was behind me on total weight. Now it is one thing to try to get an advantage, but he deliberately sabotaged me. After the had thrown about 40 casts into the area, he found it funny to say "well, there is nothing in there, so you can throw now"
I know that he and I are competing against one another, and don't mind the fact that he is going to throw into these spots first, but the attitude is what pissed me off.

Just wanted to vent.
Old 09-28-09, 03:37 PM   #2
WaffleJaw

Man what a douchebag....So he's got a bad reputation in the club?
Old 09-28-09, 03:41 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Remember, revenge is a dish best served cold. There will come a time when you will have the chance to give this guy the shaft, all good and legal like. Make sure you avail yourself of the opportunity.
Old 09-28-09, 04:14 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

Next time, reach down and unscrew his plug.
Old 09-28-09, 04:20 PM   #5
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Wow, cass, That guy sounds like a complete tool. I can understand the fact that he wants to beat you as well as the rest of the competition, but pulling crap like that pretty much defeats the purpose of a boater/rider pairing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sinking-3.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	4296  
Old 09-28-09, 04:21 PM   #6
MIbasser

Cass, first let me say that really sucks. Just wondering what are the club rules when it comes to time on the front? Do you have any? If you do, then you have to report the guy, especially if money is on the line.
Now, with an attitude like that, I would have jumped up on front with him and started to fish with him or just tossed a frog up towards the front and fish off the side of the boat.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 04:22 PM   #7
Abbeysdad

Novice question but what kind of a 'club' tolerates partnering members with members that don't play nice? I'd refuse to go out with him again. Perhaps you're stuck if you're in a club w/o a boat... but if you're gonna get crapped on, maybe it's time to rethink the whole 'club' thing.
Old 09-28-09, 04:23 PM   #8
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

sounds like ana hole. drop some weights on the bottom of the boat. oops sorry. Tap your foot impatiently. Say oh i forgot. Bang your rod heel on the deck as you check your guides excessively. oh my bad.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 05:25 PM   #9
cassidyta

I will be checking the rules and find out what, if any course of action I have. Mostly it was just a venting. I don't have a boat, so I have been the back seater all season. This is the first time that it was an issue.
I am pretty much writing it off as a bad experience.
Old 09-28-09, 08:34 PM   #10
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I've had the same experience as you. The only tournaments I fish anymore are small local tournaments that I can fish by myself.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-09, 08:41 PM   #11
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy

wow, i know that most tourneys that partner up blind draw you are supposed to split time up front, same with all the costs for the day. if not, i like a nice accidental cast with one of your pre-fishing frogs w/o hooks to the back of his head, lol. joking of course, would have been quite a shock if you unhooked the gas line to his motor too, lol. maybe something to jar his memory, nothing permanent, lol. way to keep your cool though, prolly the best thing to do.
Old 09-29-09, 08:09 AM   #12
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennsandy View Post
wow, i know that most tourneys that partner up blind draw you are supposed to split time up front, same with all the costs for the day. if not, i like a nice accidental cast with one of your pre-fishing frogs w/o hooks to the back of his head, lol. joking of course, would have been quite a shock if you unhooked the gas line to his motor too, lol. maybe something to jar his memory, nothing permanent, lol. way to keep your cool though, prolly the best thing to do.
Grand Blanc eh? A good friend of mine lives there. Nice town
Old 09-29-09, 01:52 PM   #13
JB

anytime a guy does that to ya, ask to fish up front with him on his side, both can cast fairly easy once you figure out which side he or you throw from. I have always just politely asked the boater if I can go up on the front deck, it gives you a fair shot.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-09, 10:03 PM   #14
bamabassman

i am with mississippiboy, take out the plug. then unscrew his batteries.

or just "accidentally"hook his ear with a topwater plug. or some other lure of your choice.
Old 09-30-09, 06:56 PM   #15
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
anytime a guy does that to ya, ask to fish up front with him on his side, both can cast fairly easy once you figure out which side he or you throw from. I have always just politely asked the boater if I can go up on the front deck, it gives you a fair shot.
JB is right on target here. You cant help what a tool does when your in that situation, other than try to work with him on his terms. After the tourney is over, your wiser for the trouble. I'd be pissed off too. Best revenge is to kick his butt at the next tourney with a new partner!
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 07:38 PM   #16
nofearengineer

I think I'd time that little hop of mine just right to throw him in the drink. While he was busy swimming, I'd take a big crap in his livewell.
Old 09-30-09, 07:46 PM   #17
JB

it really hurts to have a guy pt the nose at structure if you are throwing plastics and want a quiet entry. However if you are power fishing I dont think it makes a dif if you're throwing cranks or swimbaits and picking apart the bank. Also most new tournie guys are told that they can have thier four hours up front, but in reality most are less experienced at running the trolling motor and decline to "call the shots" as well as run the boat.
You can still beat anyone from the back of the boat, but its no doubt the front guy has an advantage. I go up front if theres room. Some setups like zookers boat, makes it pretty hard for two guys. If ya have enough big deck like nofears boat, its a no brainer that both can fit up there. It all comes down to if both of you want to pick apart trees and other objects that you fish uptight to, flipping jigs / plastics.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-09, 10:30 PM   #18
aikenyounggun

Everyone is going to have bad experiences if they fish from the back of the boat. Sorry, that is how it works out, and that is what you call 'front ending" someone, it happens. Be glad you caught a fish and didnt get stuck with a guy who has issues finding fish, postioning the boat, and listening to what you say.
Old 10-02-09, 11:42 AM   #19
Abbeysdad

Okay, I dunno squat about clubs or tourney fishing, but it seems to me that if I was in a club, had the boat and was giving a ride to another member, wouldn't be the right thing to do to let him fish the front half of the time - or even position the boat so it didn't much matter who was where?

Seems like the 'club' needs some new rules if being a ride-a-long means you get the shaft.

I'm just sayin.... it's not like survivor and there's a million dollars to be won and it's cut-throat, every man for himself!
Old 10-02-09, 12:32 PM   #20
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
Everyone is going to have bad experiences if they fish from the back of the boat. Sorry, that is how it works out, and that is what you call 'front ending" someone, it happens. Be glad you caught a fish and didnt get stuck with a guy who has issues finding fish, postioning the boat, and listening to what you say.
I think the point is that this guy actively did his best to screw cassidy. If he just didn't CARE about cassidy and if he was getting a fair shot at likely spots, or if he blocked him every now and then, that's a whole different issue. That's still not fair, but it's not as bad as what he actually did. This guy deliberately did his best to make sure cassidy really had no shot at anything. That's called "cheating," and should not be allowed.
Old 10-02-09, 10:57 PM   #21
BassinBandit

Well honestly if I would have been you ( I guess as me ) I would have given him an ultimatum, either he allows us both to fish or I bust up my knuckles with face..
Old 10-02-09, 11:27 PM   #22
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinBandit View Post
Well honestly if I would have been you ( I guess as me ) I would have given him an ultimatum, either he allows us both to fish or I bust up my knuckles with face..
I'm not sure how big of a guy cassidy is, so for him, that may or may not have worked.
However, I DO know how big of a guy YOU are, so coming from you, that ultimatum probably would have gotten the desired results from Mr. Frontseater.
Old 10-02-09, 11:35 PM   #23
bcklash

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
I don't think he paid his entry fee to catch "a fish", would you be satisfied with this kind of treatment. I would hope not.
Old 10-02-09, 11:45 PM   #24
BassinBandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
I'm not sure how big of a guy cassidy is, so for him, that may or may not have worked.
However, I DO know how big of a guy YOU are, so coming from you, that ultimatum probably would have gotten the desired results from Mr. Frontseater.

My motto was never the bigger they are the harder they fall, mine was the smaller they are the further they fly.
Old 10-03-09, 02:34 PM   #25
cassidyta

I am about 5'10" 205lbs. Not the biggest on the block, but I can hold my own. Those 3 years I spent as an instructor for hand-to-hand combat might give me a slight advantage in most situations.

As far as moving to the front of the boat, there really wasn't enough room. I did have a few devious ideas involving pouring my coffee into his gas tank, but in the end it really would not have accomplished anything.

In my club, the back seater is just that. There is no swapping places at the halfway mark. Had I been skunked at that point, I probably would have been a little more aggressive about where he put the boat, but I was holding my own despite his efforts.

If I get the "pleasure" of fishing with him again, I suspect that I might not be as agile with the net when his fish jumps, but other than that the event is done.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.