Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-09, 10:15 AM   #1
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Do you have fishing friends like these guys?

I have a friend named “Bubba” (name changed to protect the writer) that loves fishing for catfish after dark. He has a small fifteen-foot boat with a seventy-horse power OMC engine that he fixed up with everything. By everything I mean in addition to the electric motor and depth sounder he also put in a small TV, lights, gas stove, and a cooler that runs on DC power to keep things cold. He was so proud of his boat the day I stopped by his house he had to take me out to the garage and show off all the new additions. He explained he normally anchors up and if the catfish bite is slow he can cook, watch TV and just enjoy being out on the water at night. I asked him how many batteries did he have to run all this? His answer was just the one boat battery. Now you have to understand my friend is a self-proclaimed expert on everything and there is no telling him anything. Try as I may to get him to understand he might have a problem with running the battery down with all the equipment he had connected to it, he just shrugged his shoulders and said he knew what he was doing and had run his boat and electric motor like this for years. I have to admit the idea sounded good and might work if he would just add a deep cycle battery or two for the extras.

Bubba has fished out of my boat on many occasions and brings with him a small stove and cooler full of food. On cold days enjoys cooking up a hot meal out in the middle of the lake. He does make the best sausage sandwiches I have ever eaten with fried green peppers and onions on a toasted roll. On a really good day he will have chili or a stew made with who knows what in it, but when it is bitter cold out you don’t ask what is in it you just eat it cause it is hot and usually tastes pretty good.

A day or so after our conversation, Bubba and his buddy Jimbo (also a name change here as he is even bigger then Bubba) decided to head out for a late night of Catfishing. Now both of these “gentlemen” have not missed too many meals and not a single sausage sandwich has ever been wasted by either of these two guys. They got anchored up on a river that empties into Lake Ontario a couple miles down from the launch ramp. It was getting dark as they got their rods baited up with a smelly stew beef and who knows what else concoction. They dropped the lines into the water in anticipation of catching some monster catfish. The fishing was slow so they kicked back with some cold sodas out of the DC refrigerator and Bubba fires up the stove for some down home cooking. With the catfish not co-operating at all, on goes the portable television and they settle back and watch some shows. Around 3 AM the fish still were not biting and the bugs were. Bubba tried to fire the big engine up and it would not fire. He tries the electric motor and gets about half way back to the ramp when it starts to run down the battery completely. The current is too strong to hold with the electric motor and there way no way they could paddle against the current. They make it to the steep rocky shoreline that lines both sides of the river and were able to tie the boat off, but the current is beating the overloaded boat into the rocks. Quite a mess they are in now. If he cuts loose he is floating down a river into Lake Ontario with no lights, if he stays he has no idea how bad his boat will get beat up.

I guess Bubba and Jimbo got really desperate when they came up with a solution to this major problem. Bubba does have his cell phone with him and guess whose number he calls and who he gets out of bed at 3:30 AM? Yep, the "know-it-all" me! After I stop laughing, I said are you really sure you want me to come get you? I have been known to talk about adventures I have had with friends and neighbors and anyone else who would listen. They have no choice now as the Power Company is releasing water through the power dam up river and the current is getting stronger. The boys did finally manage to tie off to an overhanging willow tree while trying and keep away from the rocky bank, but Jimbo is really concerned that something is alive in the branches and now his flash light batteries have gone dead.

I told my wife what was going on and all she could say was "yea right" and rolled over and went back to sleep. You see this is not that unusual of phone call around here as I have some really fun friends. Hitched up my boat, drove to the ramp, headed down the river in the pitch black and found them dangling from the willow tree in the current. Got them tied off and towed back to the ramp, but I am sure I woke up a bunch of people, I could not keep from laughing at those two. The laughter was echoing down the rock walls lining the river mixed in with a few choice cuss words from the boys. To this very day if Bubba starts on some high-minded explanation of one of his projects I simply remind him of his night on the river catfishing with Jimbo, the sausage sandwiches and of course his TV set. Having good friends is great, but when you have friends like Bubba and Jimbo it is a writers dream come true.
Old 10-13-09, 11:38 AM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

lol! Good write baron! Now... are you being serious or is it something you made up? If it's real.. I envy you!
Old 10-13-09, 11:50 AM   #3
nofearengineer

Hilarious story!

I have a lesser, but similar story.

I had a couple of hardcore fishing buddies when I was younger. These two were brothers, and had purchased an old 40 hp outboard for their johnboat. They paid a huge price for their income level, I think $500.

The very first trip out on the Ohio River (it should tell you something that they didn't bother to try it on a lake first....nooooo, just go straight out on a big river), they hit a fairly small wave and the outboard jumped right up and off of the transom, and immediately sank into 30 feet of muddy, swift-moving Ohio River. I guess they didn't tighten it enough.

If you ever wondered what the price for the lives of two 20-ish redneck Hoosiers is, it is apparently no more than $500. They got a friend to help them with his boat, and they were taking turns tying a rope around their waist, and diving down to the bottom to see if they could somehow find and grab the motor, while their friend would help pull them up, with motor in their grasp.

Hmmmm....I guess they gave absolutely no thought to getting stuck underwater by that rope on some log or stick-up and drowning. Heck..they probably weren't even looking in the exact right spot.

They gave up after about 3 hours...
Old 10-13-09, 05:23 PM   #4
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassboss View Post
lol! Good write baron! Now... are you being serious or is it something you made up? If it's real.. I envy you!
I rarely write anything that is fiction. While being a fisherman at heart there are times when an inch might get stretched a bit, but in this case everything happened exactly as I wrote it.
Old 10-13-09, 05:50 PM   #5
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron49 View Post
I rarely write anything that is fiction. While being a fisherman at heart there are times when an inch might get stretched a bit, but in this case everything happened exactly as I wrote it.
Wow man! That's ROTFL kinda funny!
Old 10-14-09, 10:02 AM   #6
bcklash
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Baron, you are just who we needed at our get togather at Kentucky Lake last May. Let's see-- we a member try to make phone calls and take pictures under his boat--we had a car catch a fish--bed bugs--breakins--shutup dogs--pregnat women ( We have since welcomed kaitlyn and Laken to our Bassfishin.com family.) and caught a lot of fish.
But most of all we a great time, and another get togather planned for Dale Hollow Lake in Tenn. next May. Please try to attend. Check out our thread on the togather.

You can also search and read the funny stories and see some great pic. from the Kentucky get togather.
Old 10-14-09, 10:39 AM   #7
Abbeysdad
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Funny story - so did ya talk Bubba into adding another battery to his 'yacht' ?

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.